Arrieta Posts

TonySoprano

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone tell me what this means? This line really confused me..."I knew I got [to the majors] for a reason, and I was confused about why I was changing that now. You feel everybody has your best interests in mind, but you come to find out that?s not necessarily the case.?

Why wouldn't Adair or the O's have his best interests in mind? Why would a coach want to sabotage a super talented arm? I can think of zero logical reasons.

Do we have any idea what the 'personal' issues were that led to Adair stepping down?

That line just blew me away. What could it be - a personal beef, religious beef? Why wouldn't you have his "best interests in mind?"

From the Sun:

"In his first big league spring training, in 2009, Arrieta kept a personal blog," the Post's Adam Kilgore wrote. "He derided the Orioles’ spring training facilities, mocked the pitching mechanics of teammate Brad Bergesen and questioned the physical condition of established Orioles. One veteran noticed the blog, printed out copies and placed them on the chairs of every veteran in the clubhouse."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-jake-arrieta-had-tremendous-struggle-with-orioles-was-in-constant-tug-of-war-20160330-story.html

That is really the best article on the Arrieta situation that I've read. Very thoroughly written and researched. This part stuck out to me though. "(Duquette) traded Arrieta and Strop, two pitchers with mid‑90s velocity and three years of team control, for three months of Feldman and a backup catcher.

That's all true, but it totally omits the fact that nobody particularly cared if they threw 95 or had years of team control. Arrieta's results got worse for four consecutive years, to the point where his ERA was in the 7.00s. Strop was relegated to mopup duty because he totally lost the strike zone in September of '12 and by June of '13 still couldn't be trusted to pitch in a game where the O's weren't down 4-5 runs.

Sucks the Orioles couldn't fix them. But I don't know what else they should have done with the options they had in 2013. I don't know how you carry two unpitchable pitchers and try to compete at the same time.

From the Sun:

"In his first big league spring training, in 2009, Arrieta kept a personal blog," the Post's Adam Kilgore wrote. "He derided the Orioles’ spring training facilities, mocked the pitching mechanics of teammate Brad Bergesen and questioned the physical condition of established Orioles. One veteran noticed the blog, printed out copies and placed them on the chairs of every veteran in the clubhouse."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-jake-arrieta-had-tremendous-struggle-with-orioles-was-in-constant-tug-of-war-20160330-story.html

Arrieta became a top-shelf prospect, but never found himself, owing in part to internal tension. In his first big league spring training, in 2009, Arrieta kept a personal blog. He derided the Orioles’ spring training facilities, mocked the pitching mechanics of teammate Brad Bergesen and questioned the physical condition of established Orioles. One veteran noticed the blog, printed out copies and placed them on the chairs of every veteran in the clubhouse.

Arrieta became a target of scorn. Older players mocked him for strutting shirtless in the clubhouse. Club officials tried to tamp down his confidence. Even as those older players he ruffled moved on, Arrieta never overcame his first impression within the organization.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/10/11/jake-arrieta-was-a-bust-in-baltimore-now-hes-doing-the-impossible-with-the-cubs/

Say what you want about the relevance of the article/post (or view it as a twist of the knife, given how bad the O's pitching seems to be now), but it seems pretty clear to me that Arrieta was never going to succeed in Baltimore, for a litany of reasons that probably doesn't (but could) include Martians, an allergy to the O's preferred detergent, the phases of the moon, Skee-Lo's failure to be taller/balder, and the fact that the O's struggle to teach/improve "pitching."

I could really go for a steak.

The Orioles tried fourty-eleven different ways to fix Jake, but all he really needed was a copy of The Dharma Bums.

Can someone tell me what this means? This line really confused me..."I knew I got [to the majors] for a reason, and I was confused about why I was changing that now. You feel everybody has your best interests in mind, but you come to find out that?s not necessarily the case.?

Why wouldn't Adair or the O's have his best interests in mind? Why would a coach want to sabotage a super talented arm? I can think of zero logical reasons.

Do we have any idea what the 'personal' issues were that led to Adair stepping down?

That line just blew me away. What could it be - a personal beef, religious beef? Why wouldn't you have his "best interests in mind?"

Jake believes he got to the majors because of demonstrated ability. I do too.

There is no shortage of people in the world more than happy to tinker regardless of the need. Fixing what isn't broken is a thriving cottage industry everywhere in the world. Evidently OPACY is particularly fertile ground.

Often good intentions (or "best interests") are extraordinarily dangerous. Usually more dangerous than nuclear waste. Be very, very careful around people who mean well.

"Personal issues" is usually shorthand for "It didn't work out and we're not going to say why". My guess is that the reason was multiple pitchers complaining about the changes being forced on them. Speculation only.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of town for a bachelor party and last night I was at a great adult entertainment spot when I glanced at my phone and saw a CBS sports update on my phone that Arrieta had a no hitter in the 7th. I sighed, rolled my eyes and put my phone back and proceeded to help struggling college girls and single moms pay their bills. I knew that Arrieta would get it, he's just too good.

This morning in my hotel room I saw Glanville on sportscenter breaking down why Arrieta has been so successful and essentially how the Orioles screwed up.

In my lifetime the Orioles have lost on two trades. The Glenn Davis deal and Arietta. Ok. Eddie Murray too.

But I think this stings worse than the Davis deal. While we let go of some good young talent to get Davis, we were acquiring what we thought was a real deal power hitter entering his prime. Schilling IIRC hadn't impressed too much, Finley still a bit unproven and Harnisch was solid.

We just gave up on Arrieta after trying to get him to do things our way because....well, the Orioles don't know any better.

In this case we didn't get anything back that would have vaulted us ahead like we thought we were getting with Davis. We simply got average pitching for a stretch run. The philosophy behind and the story behind the Arrieta deal is way worse IMO.

Out of town for a bachelor party and last night I was at a great adult entertainment spot when I glanced at my phone and saw a CBS sports update on my phone that Arrieta had a no hitter in the 7th. I sighed, rolled my eyes and put my phone back and proceeded to help struggling college girls and single moms pay their bills. I knew that Arrieta would get it, he's just too good.

This morning in my hotel room I saw Glanville on sportscenter breaking down why Arrieta has been so successful and essentially how the Orioles screwed up.

In my lifetime the Orioles have lost on two trades. The Glenn Davis deal and Arietta. Ok. Eddie Murray too.

But I think this stings worse than the Davis deal. While we let go of some good young talent to get Davis, we were acquiring what we thought was a real deal power hitter entering his prime. Schilling IIRC hadn't impressed too much, Finley still a bit unproven and Harnisch was solid.

We just gave up on Arrieta after trying to get him to do things our way because....well, the Orioles don't know any better.

In this case we didn't get anything back that would have vaulted us ahead like we thought we were getting with Davis. We simply got average pitching for a stretch run. The philosophy behind and the story behind the Arrieta deal is way worse IMO.

Which group of players would you rather have: All of the players the Orioles have traded away in recent years (Arrieta, Eduardo Rodriguez, Hader, Koji, Strop, etc) or all of the players the Orioles have acquired through trades (Jones, Tillman, Brach, Hardy, Davis, etc..)?

Archived