Arrieta Posts

TonySoprano

]If true then at least they've grown and shown flexibility. They let Ubaldo change back to his old delivery.[/b] At this point I'll root for Jake. I've never heard him slam us. It just wasn't working here. It took Brett Favre going to the packers and leaving the falcons. Remember when Jake went to the Cubs they had no expectations' date=' weren't in a playoff chase, didn't invest a high draft pick in him, and most importantly they weren't in the AL and AL east.[/quote']

Great point here. If everything is the same why not ship off Jimenez if he didn't listen to reason? New coaches and different ideas, more open minded than Adair.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, at least with Glenn Davis we thought we were getting a good player in return.

We just basically gave up on Arrieta. Scott Feldman is just a league avg blah type player.

Although Clevenger was part of the deal and he turned into Trumbo. If Trumbo continues to light it up all year that would help soften the blow

Yeah lets keep telling ourselves this so we can sleep well at night. But the fact is, no one knows what would have happened. I'm a believer that talents will eventually always float to the top and a talent like Arrieta would have broken through eventually here. From having read various articles, it is strongly implied Rick Adair was the main reason why Arrieta didn't excel here. Well, Adair hasn't been here for two years so it's not a stretch to think Arrieta would have eventually excelled here. I just cannot believe a pitcher who is arguably the best pitcher in the game (and arguably right now among the best in the game ever) can do a complete 180 like this, and people still think he "would never have excelled here". Sorry I can't buy that kind of BS.

It's depressing to watch Arrieta succeed. Yeah, I know, we should be happy for him and he's a nice guy blah blah blah. But honestly, i am not happy at all. And it's quite depressing every time i see the guy do well because he's exactly what this team needs right now--a bonafide #1 starter.

Arrieta, Bundy, Gausman, Tillman and ERod

What an exciting squad that would have been to watch.

Agree whole heartily! What he's doing right now is making me sick. I don't see how any Oriole fan can be happy he's doing this on another team.

I take offense at having my opinion called BS. It implies that don't really mean what I say. I do. The O's have a dysfunctional pitching development system. Don't just look at Jake. Look at Harvey, Bundy, Tillman, Gausman, Britton, Matusz. All could have been better IMO in another organization.

They may have been. This problem has been going on awhile.To have had good

pitchers going back the Palmer era. Now they have trouble developing pitchers.

IMO

Hey, at least we traded him to the Cubs and not the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals or Tigers. If the Cubs win the World Series we can at least claim that one of our own was a key part of their victory. I just hope Arrieta doesn't beat the O's in the World Series.

I was sorry he couldn't put it together here, but I certainly don't hold any grudges against him. It wasn't going to work here for him, period. Same with Hammel.

It's one that got away, and the concerns about pitching development may be valid, but let the man succeed. He seems like a decent guy. Good for him. Just as long as it's not for another AL East team. THAT would be depressing.

Also, at least with Glenn Davis we thought we were getting a good player in return.

We just basically gave up on Arrieta. Scott Feldman is just a league avg blah type player.

Although Clevenger was part of the deal and he turned into Trumbo. If Trumbo continues to light it up all year that would help soften the blow

We didn't just "give up" on Arrieta...he was ADMITTEDLY way too deep in his own head and could not right the ship here. Oh, and he was not pitching very good when the Orioles parted ways with him. I don't know why so many fans forget that. Arrieta is the cliche "That guys needs a change of scenery" come to life. That's all that happened here.

I remember going to a Tides game not long before Arrieta was traded. I was excited because this guy had great stuff and was going to dominate AAA hitters. He had terrible command, looked flustered from my view in the bleachers, and I don't think he made it out of the 4th. The fault is all on the O's development and not on the GM. If the Blue Jays can try to steal our GM why can't the O's "steal" an upper level person from the Rays farm system. Whatever the O's are doing isn't working, so lets get someone from a system that knows what they're doiing instead of trying to invent the wheel again.

Isn't the Arrieta deal cancelled out by the Chris Davis deal. Or the JJ Hardy deal. Or the Jones/Tillman deal. Do we have to dwell on the negatives? We've had a lot of trades work in our favor. It's only natural that some will explode in our face.

Also, Arrieta was done here. He was terrible and only getting worse. Anyone who says we were foolish to trade him is writing revisionist history.

When I read the thread title I thought the question was going to be which deal was a better deal - us getting Chris Davis or us trading Arrieta.

That's still Arrieta because they still have more years of control of him, but Davis had two seasons that almost identically match Arrieta's two great seasons (7.0 and 5.6 fWAR for CD, 7.3 and 5.0 for Arrieta).

The Arrieta trade kills me only because I think they didn't give him a fair shot as a RP before trading him and if they had they wouldn't have dealt him. At the time of the trade I still thought he had a good chance to be a dominant reliever, and I wouldn't have traded him for that reason, even with the information available at the time. I thought his career as a SP was over just like everybody else. The fact that he exploded after the trade only bothers me to the extent that it reflects really poorly on our player development system.

Archived