If no starter upgrade: eight man bullpen?

Frobby

Tillman made 31 starts last year. He failed to go 5 innings in 9 of them.

Jimenez made 32 starts last year. He failed to go 5 innings in 5 of them.

Gonzalez made 26 starts last year. He failed to go 5 inning in 8 of them.

Gausman made 17 starts last year, He failed to go 5 innings in 2 of them.

Gallardo made 33 starts last year. He failed to go 5 inning in 5 of them

Mike Wright made 9 starts last year. He failed to go 5 innings 5 times.

Wilson made 5 starts last year. He failed to go 5 inning 2 times.

Total of 153 starts. They failed to go 5 innings in 36 starts.

That is about 24% of the time.

Buck and Dan have said over and over again that the reason the O's did not make the playoffs was the starting pitching. They have to do something about that. A 13th pitcher probably gets used a lot more then a 13th position players.

Once again the pen NEEDS work at the start of the year. That is when they are fresh and need to stay sharp. If things go bad then react to it then not before hand.

I personally would have kept Pearce instead of Reimold but either way corner OF depth is not a strength so don't weaken it if you don't have to. Let things play out some.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Orioles will break camp with 13 pitchers, but it's not such a far-fetched idea. For 2016, Orioles' starters look to be among the lowest in the majors in innings per start. Especially for this team, where the bottom of the rotation is not necessarily less reliable than the top of the rotation to provide quality innings, enhancing its pitching staff's strength - the bullpen- may be a sound strategy. This could be particularly effective when the team has seven games scheduled in a week or, maybe, 19 in a 21-day stretch.

Or, if you look at it as adding a sixth starter, it's seems like that may be the direction things are going. Many teams embraced the 6-man late last season (August, September) for various reasons, including workload and just giving young pitchers a shot. It may not be that far in the future that the 6-man rotation is the vogue. Wasn't that long ago that people scoffed at the idea of a 5-man rotation, after all.

Tillman made 31 starts last year. He failed to go 5 innings in 9 of them.

Jimenez made 32 starts last year. He failed to go 5 innings in 5 of them.

Gonzalez made 26 starts last year. He failed to go 5 inning in 8 of them.

Gausman made 17 starts last year, He failed to go 5 innings in 2 of them.

Gallardo made 33 starts last year. He failed to go 5 inning in 5 of them

Mike Wright made 9 starts last year. He failed to go 5 innings 5 times.

Wilson made 5 starts last year. He failed to go 5 inning 2 times.

Total of 153 starts. They failed to go 5 innings in 36 starts.

That is about 24% of the time.

Buck and Dan have said over and over again that the reason the O's did not make the playoffs was the starting pitching. They have to do something about that. A 13th pitcher probably gets used a lot more then a 13th position players.

A 13th pitcher means we get to see more of a hobbled Hardy and Jones out there playing every day.

I think Buck relies on his core more than is wise as it is.

But we spent a ton this offseason, I don't get it?

Britton to starter and Givens to closer becoming more of a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would take Britton longer then Spring training to build up his arm to pitch 5 or more innings. I think they need 13 just because some pitchers seem to be a little behind in getting innings in this Spring. Gonzo might get enough innings to go about five to start. Ubaldo is ok. Gallardo seems about a week behind as does Tillman.

Gausman might fall behind because of the cortisone shot or even start on the DL. Two more starts for the starters give or take.

It would take Britton longer then Spring training to build up his arm to pitch 5 or more innings. I think they need 13 just because some pitchers seem to be a little behind in getting innings in this Spring. Gonzo might get enough innings to go about five to start. Ubaldo is ok. Gallardo seems about a week behind as does Tillman.

Gausman might fall behind because of the cortisone shot or even start on the DL. Two more starts for the starters give or take.

Is it just me or does this seem to be the case every spring? The O's never seem to have somebody ready to go 110 pitches on OD.

Maybe it has to do with them pitching in "B" games every time the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays or Rays are on the docket.

I don't like the "6th starter" idea. That just gives you an extra day before you get back to the top of the rotation, increasing the quantity of mediocre innings rather than what we really need, which is quality innings.

However, I could see some utility for an extra bullpen arm. In a year that our entire starting pitching staff is very much suspect, an extra bullpen arm would allow us to have a quick hook with the starters when they get in trouble. Up one with the bases loaded with two out in the 4th? You could bring in Bundy knowing that he is backed up by seven other guys. If Reimold is the 25th spot, he offers very little upside over Rickard. The theory would be that it is more likely for an extra bullpen arm to make a difference than Reimold with his bat or defense.

Might not be a good reason but it is a reason.

Just have an option - able piece or two. That's all you need.

A 13th pitcher means we get to see more of a hobbled Hardy and Jones out there playing every day.

I think Buck relies on his core more than is wise as it is.

12 position players still means that the O's have Flaherty to back up the infield and the outfield corners. Rickard to backup all three outfield positions and Joseph to backup the catch.

Jones still gets time off when he needs it from Rickard and Hardy still gets rest when he needs it from Manny switching to SS and Flaherty playing 3B.

I don't think it effects the rest that that the starters will get get. Probably just more playing time for Rickard and Flaherty which is fine by me.

Is it just me or does this seem to be the case every spring? The O's never seem to have somebody ready to go 110 pitches on OD.

Maybe it has to do with them pitching in "B" games every time the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays or Rays are on the docket.

You won't have to worry after 2018. They'll have a different guy.

12 position players still means that the O's have Flaherty to back up the infield and the outfield corners. Rickard to backup all three outfield positions and Joseph to backup the catch.

Jones still gets time off when he needs it from Rickard and Hardy still gets rest when he needs it from Manny switching to SS and Flaherty playing 3B.

I don't think it effects the rest that that the starters will get get. Probably just more playing time for Rickard and Flaherty which is fine by me.

Yeah, I think an extra piece on the bench is always more valuable.

Just have an option - able piece or two. That's all you need.

I agree that optionable players are important. However, Reimold, Worley and Roe are not optionable so they are less valuable to the O's considering the moves that probably need to be made.

This year seems a little worse. Maybe because Gallardo started a week behind everyone else. Tillman had that core muscle injury. Gonzo was getting shelled and was pulled with barely two innings twice. Gausman will probably be behind whatever happens with his shot. Ubaldo is right on schedule. Mr Wilson and Mr. Wright also seem to be on schedule.

I've been saying for a month now that 13 pitchers is a definite possibility due to the uncertainty of our entire rotation and the fact that we have only two off days in April with two 12 game stretches. We will need five

starters for sure. We will not need four bench players to start the year. Rickard backs up all OF positions, Flaherty backs up SS and 2B, we have Davis and Flaherty to back up third though neither one are any good there

and we have Trumbo or Alvarez to give Davis an occasional break at first. It's all covered. We need the extra security in the bullpen, not the bench. At least, not to start the year.

Archived