If no starter upgrade: eight man bullpen?

Frobby

Yeah, I think an extra piece on the bench is always more valuable.

More valuable than what? More valuable then keeping the bullpen fresh when 24% of the time the starter will not even go 5 innings? I think the extra reliever will help and probably has more value to this year's O's team. If the O's had 5 starters that routinely when 6 innings then maybe that 4th bench guy is more important. But Tillman is already injured with an core injury that lingered last year and may do the same this year. Gausman is also questionable at this point. And the season has not even begin.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 position players still means that the O's have Flaherty to back up the infield and the outfield corners. Rickard to backup all three outfield positions and Joseph to backup the catch.

Jones still gets time off when he needs it from Rickard and Hardy still gets rest when he needs it from Manny switching to SS and Flaherty playing 3B.

I don't think it effects the rest that that the starters will get get. Probably just more playing time for Rickard and Flaherty which is fine by me.

But what happens when Jones fouls one off his leg or Hardy's back acts up and Buck decides he would rather lose them for six days instead of 15?

I don't want Machado playing 162 this year. I don't want Schoop playing every day unless he is injured.

Push comes to shove trade Brach and replace him with someone that has options and keep the relief shuttle from Norfolk humming.

But what happens when Jones fouls one off his leg or Hardy's back acts up and Buck decides he would rather lose them for six days instead of 15?

I don't want Machado playing 162 this year. I don't want Schoop playing every day unless he is injured.

Push comes to shove trade Brach and replace him with someone that has options and keep the relief shuttle from Norfolk humming.

If the position players are down a player for a few days then I agree with your point. They have to call up a Janish or a Avery. And the last reliever in a eight man pen probably has to be optionable like Wilson. Wright, Despaigne and Drake are.

Then you reconsider and call somebody up. Right now the roster is healthy and wildcard is right, we don't really need another bench guy. Buck hardly uses the bench as it is. With three guys on the bench, you have every position covered for emergency and occasional day off situations.

Most teams talk about the 7th inning being the bridge to the 8th and 9th, but give us an extra arm and it could be the 6th for us, and we are likely to need it with one of the worst SP cohorts in MLB.

More valuable than what? More valuable then keeping the bullpen fresh when 24% of the time the starter will not even go 5 innings? I think the extra reliever will help and probably has more value to this year's O's team. If the O's had 5 starters that routinely when 6 innings then maybe that 4th bench guy is more important. But Tillman is already injured with an core injury that lingered last year and may do the same this year. Gausman is also questionable at this point. And the season has not even begin.

If Gausman is hurt, he'll be on the DL. Extra relievers is not an answer. In my opinion. Also, Tillman had an ankle injury last year.

Roch quoted Buck in his blog today that he will start the season with 13 pitchers on the opening day roster.

That leaves 3 spots for utility fielders. Caleb Joseph and Ryan Flaherty are two. Does that mean Reimold is out? Rickard (Lord, I hope not)? Neither is injured so they can't start on the DL. Neither can be optioned. Or could it be Kim who is in trouble???

For me, it's easy to say Rickard stays. Will it be easy for Buck?

If Rickard doesn't stay, there will be a coup!

Reimold doesn't deserve a spot.

There you go. 13 pitchers. I think you have to at this point with this staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck Showalter on Joey Rickard's spring. <br>“What else do you want him to do?” <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OriolesTalk?src=hash">#OriolesTalk</a></p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

">March 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived