Orioles trying to get out of Kim contract? (Kim stays on roster)

Ohfan67

I hope so. I feel like it's little stuff like this that drags the O's back into the laughing stock of the league column sometimes.

Not to mention for all we know Rickard could be a bust, people say don't look much into spring stats, well you have to say that about the guys playing well also. At least try to send him to AAA.

Are you suggesting sending Rickard to AAA?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Roch had to respond. Didn't he? I do not doubt that some factions in the Orioles Front office or STAFF have raised this question.

My question is. Who speaks to Ken Rosenthal. Who takes his calls in Baltimore. Who texts with him?

Who do you rhink? Perhaps a player when he covered the Orioles?

Also why would they be a laughingstock. Not like they spend 100 million on a international player.It does not work out,no big deal

Who do you rhink? Perhaps a player when he covered the Orioles?

Also why would they be a laughingstock. Not like they spend 100 million on a international player.It does not work out,no big deal

I think the leak looks bad.

What if a deal isn't reached and he breaks camp with the team?

Orioles general manager Dan Duquette, asked Saturday if such a possibility was realistic, said, "I don't know if we're there yet," indicating that he is still evaluating Kim.

Doesn't really matter to me about Rosenthal but this quote from Duquette says a lot but what he didn't say. I would have expected a very strong denial that they were even considering such a thing.

What was the exact question that Duquette was asked that he answered that too? Who asked it as well? I would love to know as it would help me evaluate what I thought I was hearing. Myself.

Orioles general manager Dan Duquette, asked Saturday if such a possibility was realistic, said, "I don't know if we're there yet," indicating that he is still evaluating Kim.

Doesn't really matter to me about Rosenthal but this quote from Duquette says a lot but what he didn't say. I would have expected a very strong denial that they were even considering such a thing.

Dan could easily have his mind made up. But I could not tell.

It would be great if we had lot's of talented players competing for LF. We should not place too much faith on Rickard's ST numbers. However, he's earned the playing time there to start the season. We signed Kim with the idea that we were going to rely on him as at least the starting LF against RHP. Rickard actually had the more impressive year last year, to me. He had an .874 OPS across three levels with a .909 OPS at AAA and a strong (.794 OPS) in winter ball where he showed some power. He has now followed up that with a very strong spring training. He might be a .700 OPS player with strong defense in LF, which would be good. I don't think even the highest offensive expectations for Kim were much higher than that and I have a feeling (just seeing him a few times and reading between the lines) that his defense is not good.

I think it was quite telling that the Oriole optioned Christian Walker, instead of trading him with his option intact. And then stated that he will play left field exclusively.

It seems to me that this story is intended by DD to float the balloon for the fans - to prepare the way for Kim's release and to open the door for other options. From what I've seen Kim is slow of foot and slow with the bat. Not MLB material. Nice try and now move on.

The David Murphy aspect is interesting. I think I'd make that trade off.

It'd be nice if Walker can make that transition and then you can let Murphy go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree that David Murphy would be a nice add if we opt out from Kim. Intrigued by Walker as well, but we need him to get acclimated playing regularly in AAA before we run him out there in Baltimore. Don't want that experiment playing out at OPACY, especially with Trumbo in the other corner.

Personally, I'm not particularly fond of the idea of cutting ties with Kim. Certainly he hasn't looked good, but it seems a pretty darn small sample size. That said, they've seen a lot more of him than I have, so if they're convinced they've made a mistake, maybe best to just rip the bandaid off...

They don't want to cut Reimold.
Can we please end this experiment?
This is the first thing I thought of and it is ridiculous that they are still clinging on to him.

As eddie83 mentioned, I doubt that this has much to do with it at all, other than the fact that anyone on the 25 takes a spot on the 25 sort of way. As currently constructed, the team is likely to have 2 OF occupying the 4 bench spots with Flash and CJ (or 2nd catcher) in the other 2. If Rickard is the opening day LF, Kim and Reimold could both be on the roster without issue.

They don't want to cut Reimold.
Can we please end this experiment?
Agree that David Murphy would be a nice add if we opt out from Kim. Intrigued by Walker as well' date=' but we need him to get acclimated playing regularly in AAA before we run him out there in Baltimore. Don't want that experiment playing out at OPACY, especially with Trumbo in the other corner.

Personally, I'm not particularly fond of the idea of cutting ties with Kim. Certainly he hasn't looked good, but it seems a pretty darn small sample size. That said, they've seen a lot more of him than I have, so if they're convinced they've made a mistake, maybe best to just rip the bandaid off...[/quote']

The worm seems to have turned a bit in the more recent part of that sample size too. I would be disappointed if we cut ties already, especially since there was sure to be a learning curve as he acclimated to the MLB and North America.

I'm in the let things play out camp. Either he starts to hit or he continues to struggle. If he struggles at some point he will realize he isn't up to it and agree to a settlement. It's not that much money. This is Rosenthal trying to embarrass the O's again.

What was the exact question that Duquette was asked that he answered that too? Who asked it as well? I would love to know as it would help me evaluate what I thought I was hearing. Myself.

From BR Trade Rumors:

"Late last year, the Orioles inked Kim to a two-year pact worth $7MM. That deal, as it turned out, had a pair of unique quirks. First, Kim’s deal allows him to become a free agent upon completion rather than entering the arbitration process. The contract also prohibits the Orioles from sending him to the minor leagues without his consent. At the time of the deal, the Orioles probably didn’t think much of that second clause, but it has become quite relevant as Kim struggles in spring training.

Roughly one year ago, the Orioles and pitcher Suk-min Yoon tore up their three-year, $5.575MM deal, allowing him to return to the Kia Tigers of the KBO on a record-breaking four-year, $8.2MM pact. When asked by Rosenthal over the weekend if he would consider such a move, Orioles general manager Dan Duquette said “I don’t know if we’re there yet"."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/orioles-discussed-releasing-hyun-soo-kim.html#comments

Archived