Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Trumbo has been impressive. Anybody complaining about Clevenger for him? As far as the OF is concerned, it will take on a different look once AJ returns. Rickard didn't take charge on that pop fly to center two games ago. AJ would have had that easily. Flaherty looked lost out there yesterday, Kim may have been better, Reimold for sure.You have in some ways three "rookie" outfielders out there, it can look unsettling at times. Some will call even an average performance by Trumbo substandard.

Would you call his defensive performance so far average?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to see Pedro sit against LHP. And some RHP. He is not a good hitter and drags us down defensively by forcing Trumbo to play the field.

Trumbo would be my DH heading into next year. I'd check in with his agent soon to see if he's game.

He seems to fit excellently in our park and lineup.

I would like to see Pedro sit against LHP. And some RHP. He is not a good hitter and drags us down defensively by forcing Trumbo to play the field.

Pedro was signed with the DH role as his primary assignment.

For you to say he is not a good hitter, based on 7 games, is a cheap shot.

Sure, let's just round off "30-year-old with .763 OPS" to "Hall of Fame Slugger".

Wrong, wasn't comparing him to a career HOF.

We are talking single season.

Lets take 1983.

Ripken - 27 - 111 .318 and ops of .888

Murray - 33 - 102 .306 and ops of .930

I think Crush and Mark could very easily beat 60 HRs and 213 RBIs is doable, and if they beat that, then they will beat the OPS.

BTW that 30 year with 2 .800+ .OPS, now in a hitter friendly park, with power lineup, doesn't look that far fetch to me.

Would you call his defensive performance so far average?

I won't call it anything at this point. Average is harder to define than either extreme. 68% of the outfielders are statistically "average". I know every play he makes will be put under a microscope here to defend his or her position.

Wrong, wasn't comparing him to a career HOF.

We are talking single season.

Lets take 1983.

Ripken - 27 - 111 .318 and ops of .888

Murray - 33 - 102 .306 and ops of .930

I think Crush and Mark could very easily beat 60 HRs and 213 RBIs is doable, and if they beat that, then they will beat the OPS.

BTW that 30 year with 2 .800+ .OPS, now in a hitter friendly park, with power lineup, doesn't look that far fetch to me.

Trumbo's mid-range projection has to be something like a .750 OPS.

Yeah...we can't get too carried away with his hot start. I like what Trumbo brings to the table, but history shows he's not this good...not even close.

Is it impossible to think he could have a career year at 30? What I like so far is his willingness to go with the pitch and not trying to hit everything out of the park.

I'm not getting to carried away but it would be nice :)

Trumbo's mid-range projection has to be something like a .750 OPS.

Maybe slightly higher. In the batch I collected in the projections thread, they range from a low of .739 to a high of .796. I personally think that playing in OPACY and the AL East will benefit Trumbo and he's likely to be at the high end of that range.

As to being the best 3/4 combo since Cal and Eddie, I doubt it. It's not like we never had any good seasons from our 3/4 hitters in the intervening period. For example, the '96 team had an .809 OPS with 23 HR and 116 RBI from the 3 spot, and .892 with 40 HR and 143 RBI from the 4 spot. The '04 team had an .870 OPS with 26 HR and 131 RBI from the 3 spot and an .882 OPS with 37 HR and 134 RBI from the 4 spot.

Archived