Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was 1 of only 2 Orioles I saw signing autographs Sunday at Kids Opening Day.....Tyler Wilson was the other. I appreciate those little things.

Up close....he's a big dude. I'd Iike to see him and Davis arm wrestle.

As one of Trumbo's biggest critics, I must say I like what I see out of him early on. He is a disaster defensively and I would bet my house that it will cost us many, many runs before the year is said and done. He is just

not good out there at all. It's still early, though. Trumbo is not a .400 BA hitter. The Orioles in general right now are all hot at the same time, but this can't last forever. It will all come crashing down eventually and it

will be at that point that we really find out what kind of team we have.

Personally, I don't think trumbo is nearly as bad defensively as some of our "fans" are making him out to be.

He's certainly no GG'er, but he's also not below average in my opinion. He's got a really good arm and has made most all of the plays he is supposed to make.

Also, that homer seemed longer than 416 to me. I thought it was about 450 to the very top of that scoreboard.

Trumbo has shown to be much more athletic than I, and I suspect than most of us, expected. He's mashing and I fully expect him to continue on that. He's motivated. He's out of Safeco. He is surrounded by other power threats. He was very articulate early on (and has walked the talk) about situational hitting ... sitting pitches, not trying to do too much, going the other way, controlling the strike zone. I like everything that I see so far offensively.

(And) no, I don't expect the offense to swoon too much. There are just too many good hitters top to bottom. There really aren't any weak spots in the lineup (acknowledging that there is a common theme of too many K's throughout). If our guys can be patient and control the strike zone we are going to have baserunners (walks will pile up) and pitches to hit.

Again, I expect the O's to be at or near the top of MLB in runs scored this year.

Archived