Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Maybe slightly higher. In the batch I collected in the projections thread, they range from a low of .739 to a high of .796. I personally think that playing in OPACY and the AL East will benefit Trumbo and he's likely to be at the high end of that range.

As to being the best 3/4 combo since Cal and Eddie, I doubt it. It's not like we never had any good seasons from our 3/4 hitters in the intervening period. For example, the '96 team had an .809 OPS with 23 HR and 116 RBI from the 3 spot, and .892 with 40 HR and 143 RBI from the 4 spot. The '04 team had an .870 OPS with 26 HR and 131 RBI from the 3 spot and an .882 OPS with 37 HR and 134 RBI from the 4 spot.

Thanks, forgot about the 96, geeze, how could I forgot this team, they went to the ALCS and I was in the stands for one of those games.

As for the '04 hard to remember anything good coming from those rotten years. :)

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it impossible to think he could have a career year at 30? What I like so far is his willingness to go with the pitch and not trying to hit everything out of the park.

I'm not getting to carried away but it would be nice :)

Agree with you that he could indeed have a career year at 30. It has happened to other players, I guess. And I do like the way he's not trying to do too much.

He is a definite improvement to this team, provided that he can play around just below average defense.

Before he came to the Orioles, I had a pretty stereotyped impression of Mark Trumbo: big power, lots of strikeouts, pull hitter, kind of lumbering, poor outfielder, serviceable 1B.

My impression after six game is a bit different. I've been pretty impressed with the fact that Trumbo does not try to hit every ball out of the ballpark and pull everything to LF. To the contrary, he has a relatively controlled swing and hits the ball where it's pitched. Yes, his swing seems a bit stiff and he's trying to do some damage, but overall he seems like he can adjust to what is being thrown and go the other way or up the middle when it's called for.

Trumbo also runs the bases better than I expected. He looked good stealing a base on Opening Day, and has gone first to third on a single and scored from first on a double already in the young season, showing pretty decent speed and instincts.

Overall, he looks like a good addition to our offense.

I don't know about his defense yet. He was charged with an error yesterday, misplayed a ball off the wall at OPACY on Sunday (turning a single into a double, according to the radio account) and on Opening Day kind of gave up on a fly ball that hit pretty low off the fence in RCF that I thought he might have caught if he pursued it aggressively (though opinions on that were mixed). Overall, I've seen worse, but I think he's about as advertised out there.

Still, all things considered, I'm happy with Trumbo so far, and think he is a somewhat better rounded player than I'd realized.

As a hitter I am impressed, and as a defender he does not appear to be as bad as I thought he may be. He may be our best pickup since Cruz. :thumbsup1:

Agree with you that he could indeed have a career year at 30. It has happened to other players, I guess. And I do like the way he's not trying to do too much.

He is a definite improvement to this team, provided that he can play around just below average defense.

Bautista is one I can think of.

Before he came to the Orioles, I had a pretty stereotyped impression of Mark Trumbo: big power, lots of strikeouts, pull hitter, kind of lumbering, poor outfielder, serviceable 1B.

My impression after six game is a bit different. I've been pretty impressed with the fact that Trumbo does not try to hit every ball out of the ballpark and pull everything to LF. To the contrary, he has a relatively controlled swing and hits the ball where it's pitched. Yes, his swing seems a bit stiff and he's trying to do some damage, but overall he seems like he can adjust to what is being thrown and go the other way or up the middle when it's called for.

Trumbo also runs the bases better than I expected. He looked good stealing a base on Opening Day, and has gone first to third on a single and scored from first on a double already in the young season, showing pretty decent speed and instincts.

Overall, he looks like a good addition to our offense.

I don't know about his defense yet. He was charged with an error yesterday, misplayed a ball off the wall at OPACY on Sunday (turning a single into a double, according to the radio account) and on Opening Day kind of gave up on a fly ball that hit pretty low off the fence in RCF that I thought he might have caught if he pursued it aggressively (though opinions on that were mixed). Overall, I've seen worse, but I think he's about as advertised out there.

Still, all things considered, I'm happy with Trumbo so far, and think he is a somewhat better rounded player than I'd realized.

Great recap Rick and nothing much more to add. The only thing I will say is by all accounts he's a very smart, cerebral player and that has clearly shown through in the early going with the Orioles. Defensively, he's never going to be a great outfielder but I don't think he's a disaster out there in RF. I'm fine with him as a starting RFer.

Archived