Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

To put it simply, he has a much better approach to his at bats than I was expecting. It's nice to know that hold or cold, he should be able to do the little things in at bats that will help the team (moving runners over, sac flies with guy on third less than two outs, etc.).

P.S. Alvarez hasn't look nearly as bad as his numbers would indicate either. He's put together some good at bats, especially recently.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fangraphs had a chat with him when he was in Boston.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mark-trumbo-on-home-runs-and-not-drawing-walks/

Your game plan is really important. You get rewarded for having a good approach. That approach can come from experience, seeing more pitches, having success in certain situations and remembering what you did. And sometimes you just see the ball better than you do at other times.
“I’m not [disciplined enough] in a lot of people’s eyes, but that’s the way I’m most efficient. I’ve tried both. I’ve tried to be a high-walk guy, and that version of me is not even a major-league-caliber player. I have opinions on plate discipline, and the best version of me is the one that’s aggressive. If I swing at a few pitches out of the zone, so be it.

“I especially try to limit the amount of balls I chase that are down. The ones I tend to go after more often are the balls that are up, especially if they’re offspeed pitches. Those balls can go a long way.

Interesting remarks by Trumbo there. We do tend to forget that players aren't always capable of being patient and still hitting the ball hard on a consistent basis.

I've long argued that almost all players need to continue to do what got them to the majors, even if that is imperfect. And it's almost always imperfect. They can try to improve things around the margins, but Adam Jones (or Mark Trumbo) isn't going to become a high-walk player and just the attempt would probably sabotage his strengths.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mark Trumbo knows his limits: “I’d love it if I had the ability that... Joey Votto has to control the strike zone." <a href="https://t.co/CUMcOZpzcS">https://t.co/CUMcOZpzcS</a></p>— FanGraphs Baseball (@fangraphs) <a href="

">April 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe title="Twitter Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 500px; height: 322.86px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: static; min-width: 220px; max-width: 100%;" allowtransparency="true" data-tweet-id="721040798431711234"></iframe>

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

Wait. I thought the only difference between Jonathan Schoop and Joey Votto was a few subtle hints from Jim Presley.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none; visibility: hidden; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Wait. I thought the only difference between Jonathan Schoop and Joey Votto was a few subtle hints from Jim Presley.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; border-image: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; display: none; visibility: hidden; position: absolute;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

And a couple hundred million dollars in payroll? Yes.

Archived