Starting Pitching is Big Achilles Heel

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah. Machado to short, Flash to 3rd or Alvarez if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of those are terrible 3B options. Manny is the best, by far and not even close, third baseman we have. He should stay where he is. It's the harder position of the two and Machado is a GG caliber defender there.

Flash isn't a great option at SS, but I much prefer him there than having anyone other than Manny at third.

I think we will need to rebuild and soon. We have some good players, but not enough to make a run. We're just patching up holes and creating new ones in the process. We screwed ourselves signing Davis to that

massive contract which he is unlikely to ever live up to as well which should have gone to extending Machado. If Rickard works out this year as well as Kim, it might be easier to trade Jones because at least we'd have

a legit center fielder right behind him. Britton, O'Day if he has another good year might be a sell high guy and don't need MW.

I do think it would be a good idea to re-build within the next year or two, but I'm sure Angelos won't allow it. It makes too much sense for PA to grasp it, but just try convincing a billionaire that he's wrong. I'm sure

many have tried, all have failed. Unless something amazing happens over the next year or two, I am for a rebuild while we still have guys with high trade values. If we really tank it this year, I think we should seriously

consider a rebuild next year. I doubt it will happen, though.

You can think it. It might have been right. But it is fantasy. Won't happen.

You can think it. It might have been right. But it is fantasy. Won't happen.

If it doesn't, the Orioles will go back to the cellar in the AL east until they do or a miracle happens and until that happens, this isn't a championship team. It may not even be a playoff team. It's either we rebuild or we

keep dumpster diving in the offseason looking for guys to give money to that no one else wants and wonder why we go nowhere. I hope the O's make me eat my words.

If it doesn't, the Orioles will go back to the cellar in the AL east until they do or a miracle happens and until that happens, this isn't a championship team. It may not even be a playoff team. It's either we rebuild or we

keep dumpster diving in the offseason looking for guys to give money to that no one else wants and wonder why we go nowhere. I hope the O's make me eat my words.

Yeah. There is no rebuild.

1) Don't give up on Gonzalez. DL him or option him. He might heal in time or he might find his control by mid summer.

2) We have to give Worley a chance between now and opening day.

3) Gausman may be ok. He may only miss one or two starts.

4) We have to see what Wilson can do with regular starts in the majors.

5) See what Walker will bring back in trade.

6) Pray

1. Run the current guys out there that we have today.

2. Wait to overreact until after we're 2 - 3 weeks into the season and we see how the rotation is actually performing outside of spring training.

We potentially have an elite offense, elite defense, elite bullpen and elite manager. I think we can carry the rotation if they are even league average.

The OP is really asking two questions. If I was GM, I would not try to fix the rotation today. That would be too little, too late. There is nothing that can be done right now without mortgaging the future, and I would not be willing to do that. We have done too much of that as it is.

The OP is really asking two questions. If I was GM, I would not try to fix the rotation today. That would be too little, too late. There is nothing that can be done right now without mortgaging the future, and I would not be willing to do that. We have done too much of that as it is.

I am thinking you are approaching those questions correctly.

I would sell the farm for Cashner, option Gonzo, and roll with this:

1. Tillman

2. Cashner

3. Gallardo

4. Gausman

5. Wright/Wilson

That's if the only option was to fix the pitching this year.

No Ubaldo Jimenez? Are you putting him in the bullpen, or are you trading him?

But you would hate a rebuild Right? Because that starts with Manny.

It might end up with Manny. I could imagine some retooling scenarios that don't involve the nuclear option. Of course, I could have imagined the retooling scenarios a lot easier before we signed Davis, O'Day, and Gallardo, giving up two draft picks in the process.

There is no short term ("This Season") fix to the O's starting pitching

We got into this mess by giving up assets in pursuit of this season fixes

It's time to re-build

Trading Jones & Britton for legitimate starting pitching prospects would be where I would start

but the O's front office is not likely to be able to recognize prospects in other organizations seeing that they didn't recognize the ones they had in their own organization, Hader, Davies, etc.

I don't think trading Jones and Britton constitutes much of a "rebuild". Trading Jones and Machado, however, would constitute one. Machado is the one with the extraordinary trade value.

Archived