Starting Pitching is Big Achilles Heel

Bahama O's Fan

It might end up with Manny. I could imagine some retooling scenarios that don't involve the nuclear option. Of course, I could have imagined the retooling scenarios a lot easier before we signed Davis, O'Day, and Gallardo, giving up two draft picks in the process.

Retooling is certainly not rebuilding. And retooling a bit is a great idea as long as it helps in the short term and not just the long run.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think trading Jones and Britton constitutes much of a "rebuild". Trading Jones and Machado, however, would constitute one. Machado is the one with the extraordinary trade value.

A rebuild starts with Manny. And when you do trade him, you have to trade Adam and Zach.

It's that he didn't have the budget. A lot more if that QO to MW wasn't given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had plenty of budget. We spent it on Davis, O'Day, and Gallardo (and nearly Fowler). Wieters QO was not a factor preventing us from long term deals. We could have invested in pitching but we didn't.

Yeah, that's just dumb. Not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not talking about now nor do I include trading Machado, Bundy or Gausman provided they can stay healthy. However, the fact remains that we are unlikely to be able to afford Machado when he hits free agency in

three years. He will get more than Davis. Where would the pitching fit in exactly? It is in shambles with few exceptions. We stink, for the most part, at drafting and developing pitchers and the only ones we want to

spend money on are guys no one else wants; Jimenez and Gallardo. We sure are paying a lot of money for a team with possibly the worst starting rotation in the AL and very little chance of going to the post-season.

A rebuild in the next 2-3 years is not far fetched considering the state of our farm system and starting rotation. Unless, of course, the guys we have remember how to play at a high level again. Otherwise, it's being

satisfied with mediocrity and I for one do not want to go down that road again.

I'd be looking to get more depth. We'd be paying too much on any established starter. But I could see smaller deals for guys that don't make the starting rotations for their own clubs. Get as many of those as you can onto the 40-man roster and then hope that one or two of them pan out.

I'd be interested in Cashner but I suspect that the price is too high. I would not trade any long-term assets for a short-term fix, unless it was a bargain, which you are unlikely to find this time of year.

"The Indians are still engaged in trade talks to add to their outfield mix, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

... rotation options such as Trevor Bauer, Josh Tomlin, Cody Anderson, Michael Clevinger, and just-optioned southpaw T.J. House could be in play in trade dialogue."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/indians-still-exploring-trade-market-for-outfielders.html

Not that we're loaded with OFers, but I wonder if we'd be a match for Cleveland.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The Duquette/Showalter tenure will be remembered with fondness by most Oriole fans, but it will also be marked by a big blemish: the failure of developing or obtaining SP.

It's an organization-wide problem. They can't develop starters. They had a big talent in Arrieta and messed him up. Their prospects are always injured or otherwise disappointing. Their ace, Chris Tillman, is a #3 on most teams.

It's a bit frustrating because this is otherwise a World-Series caliber team. But big offense and a shutdown bullpen will only carry you so far. They will probably have another winning season, and might even make the playoffs again, but so what? To win, you need that big ace to pitch games 1-4-7 of a series, and then you need a big #2 to pitch in between.

They don't draft well.

They develop worse.

They trade draft picks.

They trade any meaningful, young, controllable starting pitching.

They won't pay for elite starters.

They give up 2 first round draft picks for 6-7 years of Ubaldo and Gallardo.

Sums it up nicely.

They don't draft well.

They develop worse.

They trade draft picks.

They trade any meaningful, young, controllable starting pitching.

They won't pay for elite starters.

They give up 2 first round draft picks for 6-7 years of Ubaldo and Gallardo.

Sums it up nicely.

Amazing, isn't? Even more amazing for an otherwise competent FO. SP might be the Orioles equivalent of the Ravens WR.

Archived