vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/20

Sessh

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Yeah, I admit I got baited by the thread title a bit and popped off before actually listening to the thing.  It doesn't really change that I've always been concerned about Cal being part of the ownership group, but I was definitely hasty to be like "SEE??". Anyway, I've got my eye on Cal. The guy just rubs me the wrong way. But hopefully nothing much to see here, or in the future. 
    • Meanwhile, I have a question about Mayo’s defense.  Everybody implies that it’s dreadful. I guess I can understand that he’s not Manny or Brooks, but how bad is it? Are we hoping he’s at least as good as George Brett, about whom someone once said,(paraphrasing), “his defense is so bad it’s like he carries his bat to the base instead of his glove.“? I love defense, and I see absolutely no reason to move Westburg away. if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. It seems far more advisable to plunk Mayo at first and do something with the guys we currently have there?  
    • I think the thread title was misleading.  Not necessarily intentionally.  But if you just  see that without reading everything that was said and considering the context, it would be concerning.  
    • You know, for $24 a year, a measly lousy 24 bucks a year, you can edit your comment. And you can also support @Tony-OHwho has done more work online to create an Orioles environment than literally anybody else in the entire Internet universe.
    • I think there see plenty of guys who will stay with a contending team they like if the money is close.   But Burnes clearly intends to test the market.   No significant home team discount is coming, and it just takes one team to offer something crazy to knock us out of the picture unless we’re just being stupid. 
    • When Mateo is hitting well, he really makes you wonder why he can’t do it all the time.   He looks really balanced at the plate, he uses all fields, etc.  He doesn’t look like a bad hitter who happens to be on a heater.   But that’s what his track record shows he is, until proven otherwise.  I remember that Fangraphs article last year about how Mateo had changed his approach and the improvement seemed real.  Well, no it wasn’t.  But maybe his issues are more psychological than physical?   He’s just a guy who when he slumps, quickly loses confidence and starts pressing and makes it worse?   I don’t know.    As to your point about OBP: in 2024, a .299 OBP is below average but I might not say it blows.  The MLB average is back down to .312 after a spike last year after the rule changes.  Of 312 players with 80+ PA, Mateo’s .299 ranks 191st, or 39th percentile.   Honestly, in this environment, if Mateo could stay at .299 OBP he’d be a very credible player.   But he’s a .272 career OPS guy who’d been at .267 the last two years, so I’m not expecting he’ll be able to stay at .299.   I’ll enjoy it while he’s hot though.   And he is playing a mean 2B.   Took him a couple of weeks to settle in there, but he’s looked great for the last month.    
    • I broached the experiment of Holliday in CF some months ago.  It seems to be something that could make sense.  I still expect he'll be our 2B moving forward, but having such versatility is never a bad thing.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now