Wow, Kim is untouchable

cm1290

Kim's ability to get on base is invaluable in this lineup. He leads the team in that category in fact.

Those of you who are advocating for him not to start another game are off your rocker. He should continue getting regular starts against righties.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Kim make a bad play today? I only watched a bit. What does "enough is enough" refer to? His defense hasn't been good, but he has made zero errors while consistently having good ABs and high OBP.

I liked the lineup today with Kim LF, Bourn RF, and Trumbo DH. Pushes Pedro to the bench, but gives Buck some nice weapons on the bench regardless of what P they throw at us.

Today had nothing to do with my post, but he's a very slow fielder, and does not have the bat to overcome that. It's much more important to me to have ?lvarez in the lineup than Kim, which is what it kind of comes down to.

Today had nothing to do with my post, but he's a very slow fielder, and does not have the bat to overcome that. It's much more important to me to have Alvarez in the lineup than Kim, which is what it kind of comes down to.

Why is that?

Pedro 349 wOBA, 116 wRC+

Kim 354 wOBA, 119 wRC+

It's close but even with Kim's recent slump he's the better offensive player.

He's also younger and under contract for next season.

I would.

1 for 3, 1 for 3, and 0 for 2 with BB. If that is Kim slumping I will take it. His AVG and OBP have dropped about 10 points in the last couple of weeks but he is still getting on base regularly.

I would like Kim to work with Kirby on his defense in the offseason so he doesn't have to play with his back to the wall.

Why is that?

Pedro 349 wOBA, 116 wRC+

Kim 354 wOBA, 119 wRC+

Kim .809 OPS, Pedro .825 OPS. Pedro is better by 1.5 bases per 100 ABs. If the choice is between Kim and Pedro, I take Kim and put him in LF so that Trumbo can DH.

Kim .809 OPS, Pedro .825 OPS. Pedro is better by 1.5 bases per 100 ABs. If the choice is between Kim and Pedro, I take Kim and put him in LF so that Trumbo can DH.

You don't think wOBA and wRC+ better show a player's offensive contribution?

And what of the fact that Kim is under contract for next season and Alvarez isn't? You don't think that should factor into the discussion when things are this close?

This of course is following the idea that neither should be in the field.

Why is that?

Pedro 349 wOBA, 116 wRC+

Kim 354 wOBA, 119 wRC+

I prefer the total effect of Alvarez as the DH. The razor thin line Kim has in the category you selected does not make up for his defense. Bourn and Rickard should form a nice platoon when Joey comes back. Both are far superior defenders than Kim.

Only thing I can think of is he is still pissed about him refusing the minor league assignment.

Get over it already, we have a World Series to win.

From May 25 through July 10, Buck started Kim against all but two right-handers (29 of 31 games) before Kim got injured. When Kim got off the DL, he started the next 18 games against right-handers, up through Aug. 20.

If Buck were pissed about Kim refusing the minor league assignment, why did he make Kim an everyday player against righties from May through August? Did he forget he was mad at him for 4 months, then suddenly remember again?

I think there are plenty of better explanations of why Kim has been sitting against some righties. I think it's partially that Buck wants to get Pearce more involved, and also perhaps he wants to avoid Kim getting fatigued (since the MLB season is longer than the KBO season.) That doesn't necessarily mean it's the right decision, but it's a lot more logical than "Buck has a grudge against Kim."

You don't think wOBA and wRC+ better show a player's offensive contribution?

And what of the fact that Kim is under contract for next season and Alvarez isn't? You don't think that should factor into the discussion when things are this close?

This of course is following the idea that neither should be in the field.

If all we are talking about is hitting, I like Alvarez better than Kim right now. Alvarez has been very good since June 1, so his overall stats don't really capture his current situation.

You think the best fit for a low OBP, high K, high power offense is another high K high power guy? Instead of a high OBP guy?

OK.

I disagree.

Have a nice night.

For a team that clearly lives and does by the HR, yes. I'd rather have another guy that fits that mold over ONE guy that provides plus OBP at the bottom of our lineup, and, by the way, backs it up with poor defense.

If, next year, we get a new pair of corner OFers that provide a little speed, better defense, and more OBP, then I could certainly live with Kim as the full time DH. But not in the context of this team. I don't think he moves the needle nearly enough, and he doesn't have any peripheral skills to complement his one strength.

Archived