vs. YANKEES, 6/03

Sessh

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Look who we found, <a href="https://twitter.com/CowherCBS">@cowherCBS</a> here tonight rocking orange & supporting his wife <a href="https://twitter.com/theQueenV">@theQueenV</a>. <a href="https://t.co/vIms9LE4dU">pic.twitter.com/vIms9LE4dU</a></p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">June 4, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• My mistake!  You are correct.  I had the games reversed.  Thanks for the correction.  
    • I wouldn't extend anyone just because they're a fan favorite, but rather because they're also an integral part of the core, and hard to replace. Something like Houston deciding Altuve was indispensable, but letting Correa walk. Those kind of moves both help you keep winning and demonstrate commitment to the fanbase. Gordon was 32 when he signed his extension, not exactly the same situation. 
    • Your memory is a little off.  We won the first game of that series, not the third.  Our offense was flying high at the time.  Then we lost those two games to Wainwright and Rom, and went into an offensive slump we never completely emerged from. The team lost four in a row (next two were agsinstTampa) for only the second time all year.  Starting with the Wainwright loss, the O’s only averaged 3.57 runs/game over the final 19 games of the year, after averaging 5.17 for the first 143 games.
    • Current fWAR leaderboard: # Name Team PA IP Bat WAR Pit WAR Total WAR 1 Shohei Ohtani LAD 214   3.0   3.0 2 Mookie Betts LAD 223   3.0   3.0 3 Kyle Tucker HOU 205   3.0   3.0 4 Gunnar Henderson BAL 198   2.8   2.
    • Yeah, I'm kinda under the assumption that it's gonna be a while. He looked really bad the first time and the team is performing without him. No reason to rush.
    • Well I hope Rubenstein knew that when he purchased the team.  
    • I don’t know. Heading into this season, I said I didn’t feel Gunnar’s defense at SS was so good that we should just assume Holliday doesn’t end up there.    Holliday does need to work on his arm strength and my assumption was always that he would. Now, maybe that assumption is wrong, I don’t know but at his age and time in development and the size of Gunnar, I still felt Holliday at SS and Gunnar at third would be the best total defensive lineup long term.  That doesn’t necessarily mean Holliday would be the better SS but that the combo of the 2 would be the best alignment (this also thinking Gunnar would be GG level at third but not SS) This year, I feel Gunnar has looked similar at SS although OAA likes him a lot more this year than last but stats like UZR and UZR/150 don’t. He is 36th in MLb in DRS and 6th at SS (4th in AL).  I was actually surprised to see his arm is “only” in the 77th percentile.     I can see Gunnar being a high OAA guy because I think his athleticism will simply allow him to make plays most players can’t. I think it’s fair to say that Gunnar is an above average defensive SS but how far above average is he and is he truly an elite defender at SS?  I don’t think so but maybe he can develop into one?  I feel confident he would be at third. I have said for a while that all the defensive alignment stuff will be wrapped around where Holliday and Gunnar end up. For now, it seems obvious Holliday isnt a SS option this year unless an injury occurs.    As to how that could change, I think it depends on Holliday. I still seriously doubt he ends up in CF. It’s not like he would be the first converted SS to end up out there and that’s arguably a more premium position than SS in todays game because of all the FB pitchers but it would still surprise me to see that be the long term move. I also think we are overlooking the Westburg factor here. They may believe, even with the arm not being overly strong, that he is the third baseman of the future.  Saying that, I have never doubted that Mayo could stick at third. I believe he can. I just didn’t believe it would happen here and I still don’t.   I still think he ends primarily at RF and first base.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now