Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(6 Months Later)

For whatever reason(s), this notion that was perceived as being an ultra-longshot when Roy first brought it up back in early September is now being discussed as merely a longshot (minus the "ultra.")

If I had to bet on it, I would say that it won't happen ........ but if it does, remember that Roy said it first from his sources from the team, way back in September of 2017.

o

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is still an ultra-longshot, so far as Im concerned. Bucks going to say encouraging things, because thats his nature. But by March 15th or so, Harvey will be in Minor League camp.

o

He will be in Minor League camp on March 15th, but I don't believe that that will affect the decision as to whether or not he is brought up this season.

I believe that how he pitches at AA-Bowie (and/or Advanced-A Frederick) in the first 2 months of the season will be the biggest factor in the decision, although there is a good chance that they won't bring him up even if he is lights-out at those levels.

My feeling/instinct is that if he pitches great at AA-Bowie and/or Advanced-A Frederick in April and May, he will not be brought up, but rather promoted to AAA-Norfolk for the remainder of the 2018 season (June, July, and August.)

o

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

He will be in Minor League camp on March 15th, but I don't believe that that will affect the decision as to whether or not he is brought up this season.

I believe that how he pitches at AA-Bowie (and/or Advanced-A Frederick) in the first 2 months of the season will be the biggest factor in the decision, although there is a good chance that they won't bring him up even if he lights-out at that level.

o

I’m guilty of not re-reading Roy’s post, and didn’t notice he was talking about Harvey being called up in June, rather than being on the OD roster.    Yes, I could imagine that happening.   But why speculate before the guy has pitched in some games in the high minors and had some success?   As I said in another thread, when he’s posting a sub-3.00 ERA in AA, I’ll worry about whether the O’s should call him up.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Im guilty of not re-reading Roys post, and didnt notice that he was talking about Harvey being called up in June, rather than being on the OD roster. Yes, I could imagine that happening. But why speculate before the guy has pitched in some games in the high minors and had some success? As I said in another thread, when hes posting a sub-3.00 ERA at the AA level, Ill worry about whether the Orioles should call him up.    

o

I'm not necessarily hoping and anticipating that Harvey gets called up in June, although I will be thrilled if he does get called up and pitches well.

Roy made a statement about inside information that he heard about an outside possibility regarding the Orioles' most prolific starting pitching prospect, so to me it's worth mentioning it in case it does come to fruition, however small that chance may be. 

If it were not Roy and his disclosure that he heard it from someone in the organization (in other words, if it were just another OH poster speculating his/her own opinion),  I wouldn't bother bringing it up.

o

13 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Harvey starts tomorrow at 1 @Min. He should get to face some regulars. Rev up the hype train. 

Looking forward to watching his start today. And we have a fairly decent lineup for a travel day.

o

Harvey was pitching on 6 days' rest.

The pitch-count is for the 1st inning only ........ everything else is up-to-date for Harvey's 2018 Spring Training Season.

6 OUTS: ) 3 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Strikeout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. TWINS, 3/06))))))) [Spring Training]

IP:lll 2

H:lllll 2 )) (1 Home Run, 1 Double)

R:lllll 1

BB:lll2

SO:ll.1

Pitches: )l 23(14 )Strikes, ))Balls) ) *

2018 ERA: )l 4.50 )l(Spring Training))  4.00 IP  (2 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 2.000 )l(Spring Training) )  4.00 IP  (8 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .313 )l(Spring Training)  (5 for 16)

PITCHES BY INNING

23 ll(14 llStrikes, llll91 l.Balls)

* )) 1st inning Only (Per Roch Kubatko)

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Harvey was pitching on 6 days' rest.

The pitch-count is for the 1st inning only ........ everything else is up-to-date for Harvey's 2018 Spring Training Season.

6 OUTS: ) 3 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Strikeout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. TWINS, 3/06))))))) [Spring Training]

IP:lll 2

H:lllll 2 )) (1 Home Run, 1 Double)

R:lllll 1

BB:lll2

SO:ll.1

Pitches: )l 23(14 )Strikes, ))Balls) ) *

2018 ERA: )l 4.50 )l(Spring Training))  4.00 IP  (2 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 2.000 )l(Spring Training) )  4.00 IP  (8 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .313 )l(Spring Training)  (5 for 16)

PITCHES BY INNING

23 ll(14 llStrikes, llll91 l.Balls)

* )) 1st inning Only (Per Roch Kubatko)

o

o

Hunter Harvey, Postgame: )

On his mindset facing Major League hitters, instead of Rehab Guys: )) I wouldnt say anything different. Ive got the same mindset. I go out there, and Im attacking. Im just throwing the ball over the plate, and trying not to walk guys. I walked two today, but my mindset is just to attack.

On how close he feels that he is ready to be a Major League pitcher: )) I feel like Im close. I need to get my off-speed command a little bit better, to where I can throw more strikes with it. But I do feel that Im ready.

On being allowed to throw 51 pitches, and not "babying" him: )) Its nice to be able to throw 50 pitches again. Yeah, its nice.

On comparing this start to his last: )) My fastball felt better today. I'm still working on some off-speed stuff. I threw a good change-up today. One of them (the change-ups) I pulled from the dirt, but my better felt better today than it did in my previous start from February 29th.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/valencia-hits-first-home-run-and-other-notes.html

o

• Upvote 1

Let's say the performance at the bottom of the starting rotation or the long relief stinks, but the Orioles are around .500 (or better) and within what an 88 (or 89)-year-old optimist considers striking distance of a WC spot. IMO, the first is probable, the second improbable, and the combination of the two highly improbable. 

But that combination  easily could get Harvey to the ML this season. Otherwise, there would be no point.

The only even vague reason to bring Harvey up this year is if for some reason this team is in contention, he's pitching well and has innings to give, and the Orioles could use him in the pen.

Other that, he needs to spend all of 2018 starting every five days in a minor league rotation as he builds up innings.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The only even vague reason to bring Harvey up this year is if for some reason this team is in contention, he's pitching well and has innings to give, and the Orioles could use him in the pen.

Other that, he needs to spend all of 2018 starting every five days in a minor league rotation as he builds up innings.

You have been spot on numerous times today.  You should really think about having a blog or a website or something...   ;) 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Any chance that he starts in Bowie ???

The Advanced-A Frederick rotation is going to be crowded, regardless. 

o

I suspect that there is a good chance that he starts the season at AA-Bowie instead of Advanced-A Frederick, and I'll explain why.

The reason being is that last September when Roy Firestone first informed us that he had heard from a source within the organization that Harvey could conceivably be promoted to the Orioles as early as June of 2018, he said that it was contingent on "how well he pitches at AA-Bowie in April and May."

Hence, the language that was used in that piece of information makes me sense that he will be pitching at the AA-level In April and May instead of at the Advanced-A level.

o