Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yaz had a decent year. Surprised he didn't get a spring invite?

I doubt he’s really viewed as a prospect anymore, more of a good org player. So not terribly surprised, maybe next year they throw him a bone like they did with Rosa this year.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I doubt he’s really viewed as a prospect anymore, more of a good org player. So not terribly surprised, maybe next year they throw him a bone like they did with Rosa this year.

I hope Rosa gets a cup of coffee at some point, if only so he gets the lifetime of benefits. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck also implied tonight that if Cobb hadn’t been signed, they might have kept Harvey as the fifth starter.   “If we hadn’t found Cobb, you would have seen him real quick.”   http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/showalter-on-cobb-harvey-and-mesa-jr-os-down-2-1.html

Doesn’t sound so far fetched. The future is bright. 

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck also implied tonight that if Cobb hadn’t been signed, they might have kept Harvey as the fifth starter.   “If we hadn’t found Cobb, you would have seen him real quick.”   http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/showalter-on-cobb-harvey-and-mesa-jr-os-down-2-1.html

It's great we're in such a happy place even Buck is flashing a little giddiness.  I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall at that upstairs conversation about the strategy for his usage this year.  I'm hoping he becomes our chess piece to match Chad Green this summer.  If his health cooperates, we'll want his talent for the wildcard game and there's no way he makes it to October if he carries a regular SP usage pattern in the first half.

If his Bowie starts look like Tanner Scott's, the only freaking out I'll be doing is the happy kind.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He basically says, “I know I shouldn’t do it, but I was about to do it anyway, against my better judgement.” Hopefully he is just being playful in this interview.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Put the tin foil hat on baby:

So a player has to be in the minors for 10 days before being recalled right?  Is that the reason for the early send down. I mean they didn’t even wait for him to start the Orioles v. Norfolk game. Maybe because it wouldn’t have been 10 days since he was sent down. 

Harvey was sent down before his scheduled ST start vs NYY. When is the first time we need a 5th SP?  April 6th @ NYY.   Maybe Buck didn’t want them getting a look at Harvey. 

Wright has pitched his way off the team. Castro maybe has too. Cortes has been “ok”. The Yankees have a real good book on Cortes. Why not have Harvey come up for that one start?

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Put the tin foil hat on baby:

So a player has to be in the minors for 10 days before being recalled right?  Is that the reason for the early send down. I mean they didn’t even wait for him to start the Orioles v. Norfolk game. Maybe because it wouldn’t have been 10 days since he was sent down. 

Harvey was sent down before his scheduled ST start vs NYY. When is the first time we need a 5th SP?  April 6th @ NYY.   Maybe Buck didn’t want them getting a look at Harvey. 

Wright has pitched his way off the team. Castro maybe has too. Cortes has been “ok”. The Yankees have a real good book on Cortes. Why not have Harvey come up for that one start?

As I said on the 20th in the 21st game thread the rainout against the Rays could very well lead to Harvey getting bumped since Castro and Cortes needed the work and Harvey wasn't going to be going north.

That is all I think it was.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, ChuckS said:

Any chance that he starts in AA- Bowie ???

The Advanced-A Frederick rotation is going to be crowded, regardless. 

On 3/6/2018 at 8:20 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I suspect that there is a good chance that he starts the season at AA-Bowie instead of Advanced-A Frederick, and I'll explain why.

The reason being is that last September when Roy Firestone first informed us that he had heard from a source within the organization that Harvey could conceivably be promoted to the Orioles as early as June of 2018, he said that it was contingent on "how well he pitches at AA-Bowie in April and May."

Hence, the language that was used in that piece of information makes me sense that he will be pitching at the AA-level In April and May instead of at the Advanced-A level.

o

o

Orioles' Hunter Harvey: Starts Season with Three-Inning Limit

(RotoWire Staff)

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/orioles-hunter-harvey-starts-season-with-three-inning-limit/

o

FROM PAGE 18 (September of 2017)

On 9/4/2017 at 6:56 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I'm just repeating what one Oriole insider told me this week., It's someone who knows, and it's not Jim Palmer. They said that Harvey could be pitching for the Orioles by June next year ........ if he gets enough innings at AA-Bowie.

o

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck confirms they are saving some of Harvey’s innings in case he’s in the majors.   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/04/showalter-pregame-on-cobb-and-more-and-sisco-on-catching-wright.html

I hope not.  Let the kid pitch a full season in the minors.  This season is fruitless anyway.  No reason to push. 

On 3/16/2018 at 10:12 AM, Tony-OH said:

You have as much chance of making the Orioles squad as Harvey. I feel like with over 9,000 posts around here you would have a general idea of how player are developed, especially pitchers. The Orioles are not going to put Harvey in the rotation at the start of this season, it's just not going to happen. Buck is keeping him around because as long as he can get his work in and get himself ready to be a starter in the minors, he might as well gain the experience against better hitters than over in minor league camp. Nothing wrong with keeping him around the major league pitchers and coaches as long as possible as long as he's getting the innings he needs to prepare for the season which the Orioles have found a way to do.

Well 10 games in and he’s up. Hasn’t thrown a single pitch this season. It’s almost like he started his season with us. 

Nobody is wrong here. We’re all Oriole fans. We all want to win. I just had an opinion and stuck to it. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well 10 games in and he’s up. Hasn’t thrown a single pitch this season. It’s almost like he started his season with us. 

Nobody is wrong here. We’re all Oriole fans. We all want to win. I just had an opinion and stuck to it. 

I wonder how long he will be up.    My guess is they want him in case they need a long man in the next couple days, and then he’ll be back down.   They won’t burn him in a 1-2 inning situation, I don’t think.   With our three best starters scheduled for Monday-Wednesday, and a day off on Thursday, he may not see any action if we’re lucky (though I must admit, I’m dying to see him in action just out of curiosity).