I think it's official...

NewMarketSean

I seriously question the timing of your comment. Once again slipping into the good ol NMS. Anyone challenges you you go running for the insults.

I didn't mean it as an insult... see my above comments for my reasoning for taking such a strong position with you.

And you dont have to question my timing. Yeah, they've got a winning record and they're beating the O's. But regardless of the record, you can't look at the talent on their team and in their system and question anything about them. Outside of injuries, they are going to be good, now and in the future.

The Rays are hot right now, but they are a lot of unknown commodities right now. I don't think Pena has another 46 HR season in him. He might get to 30, his .202 BA and 31 Ks don't look so hot. Iwamura is batting a light .202 right now and a sub .300 OBP isn't exactly what you want in a leadoff hitter.

Longoria is a big name and a big talent, but we shall see how he adjusts to the bigs.

I dont see how #1 draft picks are unknown commodities. Especially when they hit the ground running. If we had Longoria we'd be falling all over ourselves to anoint him the next ARod.

The Orioles have a lot of potential as well. Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, Olson, Johnson, Albers, Burres, Guthrie - then in the minors Weiters, Rowell, Arrieta, Reimold.

The Orioles have just as much potential right now - hell they have the same dang record.

Not after today. ;)

No one is arguing that we dont have potential. But the Rays have that potential in the majors. Half the O's you mentioned are in AA ball or below.

Maybe they ARE better right now, but I have been hearing that for the better part of the last 5 seasons. The Rays are playing strong ball, but the Orioles have been playing pretty strong as well. Lets see how this all plays out.

I smell a wager coming on.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we were winning 4-2 would that change your mind?

Maybe the Rays ARE better than the O's. They certainly were not going to remain the perpetual doormats forever.

Would beating a team make you think you're better than a team, while losing to them make you think you are worse? I think you answered your own question. Was that meant to be rhetorical?

(Do I know what rhetorical means?)

Man you act like all is lost. The O's are going to be better. dammit it is only the 1st of May. I know they are not going ot be contenders this season. But they are improving. JOnes, kakes, young pitchers. A top flight catcher who will be up in a year or two. You can say this is year one in the rebuilding process. The Rays have been rebuilding for a long time.

Man you act like all is lost. The O's are going to be better. dammit it is only the 1st of May. I know they are not going ot be contenders this season. But they are improving. JOnes, kakes, young pitchers. A top flight catcher who will be up in a year or two. You can say this is year one in the rebuilding process. The Rays have been rebuilding for a long time.

How am I acting like all is lost when I am just saying the Rays are good -- better than the O's? That doesn't affect my opinion of the O's at all!

I am just pointing out the obvious!

Would beating a team make you think you're better than a team, while losing to them make you think you are worse? I think you answered your own question. Was that meant to be rhetorical?

(Do I know what rhetorical means?)

My point was this: After that crap-tastic road trip that the Orioles were feeling good, everyone was feeling good.

We won Tuesday, everyone was feeling good.

We got beat last night, and again today now everyone is all "The Rays are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!!!!"

Hell I said in a thread after the Chicago rain crap game, don't be surprised if we lose 2 of 3 as I think this team is really gassed.

Winning game one helped that, but I think Sarfate is tired, I think Albers is tired. Calling up McRory was a good call, but he has been a wash so far.

Tampa has won 8 of its last 9 games.

Oh, Sean, ALL prospects are question marks. Baseball is LITTERED with number 1 draft picks that flame out.

Tough loss today, hope the bats come around in Los Angeles.

Regardless of what happens in the rest of today's game, the Rays are better than the Orioles.

In pretty much every way too.

I know a few people here will try to say it's not true, but they're wrong.

Man is that team just stacked from top to bottom with crazy prospects. It's sick.

I know a few people choked on their lunch when people mentioned they could be a possible WC contender before the season started, but I dont think it's that much of a crazy thought after seeing them play.

Their rotation is solid and that is without Kazmir making a start yet.

Their bullpen is the best in the AL after having the worst BP in 53 years last year.

I know they will probably have some rough patches since they are such a young team, but these ain't your older brother's Devil Ray.

They're good.

Ok.

I mean, I thought most people had reached this conclusion at the end of last year and the few who hadn't reached at earlier this season...but I guess not.

Offensively, they are undoubtedly better than us, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I know they have some big name pitchers up and coming, but as I look at the ridiculously good group of pitchers we have coming down the pike the next 3-4 years, and the sheer numbers of them, I have to believe we are going to be the better pitching club. That said, we certainly were stymied by Sonnanstine and Garza the last 2 days, and that's not even the top of their rotation.

Sorry Sean i didn't mean to be insulting. Yes the rays are better in some ways. But there is young pitchng that will come around for the O's Olson, Albers, Loewen might be able to come back and be strong. Penn might be up too. Jones seems to be very good andof course kakes. I just beleive the O's are playing osme good ball and yes the Rays may be better right now. I just ahve a feeling that the O's are going to better than some may thnk. Sorry but i may be misreading you.

The heck with the future, I wonder if the Rays will compete in the AL East this year.

Tampa Bay has the second best pitching in the American League. When Kazmir comes back, their pitching will be even better.

I have to think that the Rays are going to hit better too.

Unless they do something dumb, the Rays are going to very good for years.

Sorry Sean i didn't mean to be insulting. Yes the rays are better in some ways. But there is young pitchng that will come around for the O's Olson, Albers, Loewen might be able to come back and be strong. Penn might be up too. Jones seems to be very good andof course kakes. I just beleive the O's are playing osme good ball and yes the Rays may be better right now. I just ahve a feeling that the O's are going to better than some may thnk. Sorry but i may be misreading you.

I just dont understand how me saying that the Rays are better than the O's somehow means that I am saying that the O's are bad.

100% not true.

I dont believe the O's are as good as they are playing right now. I DO believe the Rays are. They have too much potential all the way around their team. That said, the O's are headed in the right direction.

BUT -- we still have the likes of Millar, Mora, Huff, Hernandez, and Trachsel balancing out the good young players we have.

For instance, the Rays are pretty much set for the next 5-10 years. Name me in the O's IF in 2010. Good luck with that...

The O's still dont do enough to get better on offense.

In the last 2 years, the Rays made smart small moves to grab the likes of Gabe Gross and Carlos Pena.

The Orioles have passed on Botts and Johnson and never gave the good MiL players they did pick up enough playing time to see if they could stick.

Sorry... this is the way I see it. The Rays are better and probably will be better for the next few years. Who knows, maybe some day the O's and Rays are like the Sox and Yanks today.

I'd love for it to be that way. Thats just not how it is now.

The Rays are no longer our cushion. THANK GOD we've been able to pull our selves out of the gutter, at least for April.

Regardless of what happens in the rest of today's game, the Rays are better than the Orioles.

Man is that team just stacked from top to bottom with crazy prospects. It's sick.

I know a few people choked on their lunch when people mentioned they could be a possible WC contender before the season started, but I dont think it's that much of a crazy thought after seeing them play.

Their bullpen is the best in the AL after having the worst BP in 53 years last year.

I know they will probably have some rough patches since they are such a young team, but these ain't your older brother's Devil Ray.

They're good.

While I am not disagreeing with you in any fashion, it is really early in the season for this declaration. Alot can happen in a season. With that said, they are really talented, and there offense is much better than ours, but I think our pitching will be darn good by the middle and end of the season...of course that does not matter when we cannot score runs. All in all good post, but just a wee bit early to be saying it. Every game is an emotional roller coaster in and of itself, so I would recommend sitting back and observing more. I just do not see their pitching holding up outside of shieds, kazmir and wheeler.

They're good.

I'm not suggesting we all run out and start a line for playoff tickets, but one of the things I think you fail to acknowledge when it comes to the O's is that they've performed above .500 with a lot more under-achievement than over-achievement.

Not to mention...it's one month into the season.

Archived