TT: Is it time to try Mancini in the OF at Norfolk?

Tony-OH

The O's have an option on Hardy in 2018 ($2 Mil buyout), so next year could be Manny's last at 3B.

Listen, I understand that all of this is a long shot and likely not to happen, but I think that 3B is an option to increase Mancini's value within the org.

When I said Manny would be at 3B for at least two years, I was including this year. And the reason I said "at least" was because of Hardy's option.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one is arguing that Trumbo is not a below average outfielder, my argument is, I haven't seen any games this year we lost because of Mark Trumbo's defense. Did he cost us runs here and there with misplays, yep, but at the end of the day, the Orioles are 47-30 with him RF. That tells me by playing him out there he's not killing the team.

Well, he's not doing us any favors tonight, for sure. He misjudged a ball near the wall (once again looking like he's very afraid of colliding with a wall), then let a ball drop in front of him that everyone including the baserunners thought he would catch. Fortunately, Cruz was so surprised that he couldn't beat Trumbo's throw to 3B, or at least the umpire thought so. But a run scored on the play.

Well, he's not doing us any favors tonight, for sure. He misjudged a ball near the wall (once again looking like he's very afraid of colliding with a wall), then let a ball drop in front of him that everyone including the baserunners thought he would catch. Fortunately, Cruz was so surprised that he couldn't beat Trumbo's throw to 3B, or at least the umpire thought so. But a run scored on the play.

Yeah not good...an average fielder probably catches both of those balls. Cost us a run essentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norris at least had two years of control remaining. Arrieta and strop were essentially spare parts when we dealt them for Feldman. Not top prospects.

LOL. Arrieta and Strop were two guys about to be DFA'd not just "non prospects". I pray we see the both of them in the WS. The NL isn't good, for proof see Ubaldo's last two starts.

Mancini stays at 1st and takes over the DH role next year. Tony has a good idea with letting him flirt with OF. As far as the other guys go mentioned in this thread,

EdRod- how's this season working out? Looking like the Loogy, 5th SP we thought

Davies- throwing 85 in the NL central

Buck mentioned this in spring training....he said something to the effect of "i'm not sure his arm plays out there"

I tried to find the article but didn't see it. I think it was from one of Roch's updates.

I have not seen him play....but for Buck to specifically mention it, I'd have to assume there must be something to it.

Also, from what I read in the articles while I was looking for Buck's quote, he's never played the OF at any level except for a summer league when he was in college and that was due to team injuries.

Buck mentioned this in spring training....he said something to the effect of "i'm not sure his arm plays out there"

I tried to find the article but didn't see it. I think it was from one of Roch's updates.

I have not seen him play....but for Buck to specifically mention it, I'd have to assume there must be something to it.

Also, from what I read in the articles while I was looking for Buck's quote, he's never played the OF at any level except for a summer league when he was in college and that was due to team injuries.

I found this:

Showalter was asked again about first baseman Christian Walker playing the outfield this summer at Triple-A Norfolk.

“It’s going to be hard with as many outfielders as we’ve got,” he said.

“Right now, we’re just trying to let him get through camp. It’s obvious he’s worked hard at first base. He’s been impressive. He’s playing a lot freer and easier. You can tell he doesn’t have any anxiety about it. He worked hard at it. But things have a way of changing. There’s a trade and all of a sudden, who knows? Somebody gets hurt.

“That’s kind of a question for Dan and Brian (Graham). We talk about it a little bit. We don’t think it will happen with (Trey) Mancini. But that was just in response to something you all asked me the other day. I wasn’t saying that he would. I think there’s been some talk about it, but now’s not the time. I think (Walker) would be OK out there. I know he’d work hard at it.”

http://m.masn.mobi/school-of-roch/2016/02/wrapping-up-the-11th-day-of-workouts.html

Not sure if this article from a few months ago was linked earlier in this thread (apologies if I missed it), but at least Mancini thinks he could play OF.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/04/19/orioles-prospect-trey-mancini-im-definitely-capable-of-playing-the-outfield

I've got no problem with getting him some work out there in Norfolk.

I'm certain Buck specifically mentioned Mancini's arm....I think I even linked it and quoted it in a post a few months ago, but I can't find that either!

I think the arm issue might be more of a scouting report on him, when he came to the organization, is what I remember.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/3/24/11294490/orioles-first-base-christian-walker-trey-mancini

Heck, most of what they said about Mancini, still holds true,4 months later:

Mancini should remain at first base. As far as I can tell, that is the only position he is really familiar with. And he was so good last year that there is no reason to move him away. No matter what scouts say, if he can come close to repeating what he did a season ago, his prospect status will go through the roof.

If the O's like Mancini enough, he too should move to the outfield in the future and see how it goes. Davis blocks him at first and if he is breaking down the door to Baltimore you have to find someway to get him involved.

Who knows what will happen? Probably nothing. Left field is free for the taking still and the right field will be back on the market this winter. If somehow these two farmhands could take over than would be a huge boost to the Orioles organization.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/3/24/11294490/orioles-first-base-christian-walker-trey-mancini' rel="external nofollow">

Trust me, you will get no arguments from me that Trumbo is a below average defender in the outfield. The only discussion is how much does his below average defense cost the Orioles? And if we're winning with him as a poor RFer, could we do the same with Mancini?

Just texted a bit with a scout outside of the organization and he feels his arm will be able to play in the OF. He believes it is his best route to the big leagues. He also thinks he's probably a 1B/corner OF platoon guy though, not an everyday starter. I tend to be a little more bullish on Mancini's offensive prospects than him, but I respect his opinion a lot. He doesn't feel his arm profiles as an everyday RFer but would like to see it before making a final call.

Trust me, you will get no arguments from me that Trumbo is a below average defender in the outfield. The only discussion is how much does his below average defense cost the Orioles? And if we're winning with him as a poor RFer, could we do the same with Mancini?

Mancini hasn't played the first game in the minors, even afterall all the debates.

Why? Are we the fans that smart and the org that dumb?

So Trumbo might have cost the game last night with his play. But, in all fairness a few weeks ago, Jones had 2-3 bad plays one game.

In the past 78 games, I am sure, Trumbo's bat has done much to help them with their 47 wins.

Mancini hasn't played the first game in the minors, even afterall all the debates.

Why? Are we the fans that smart and the org that dumb?

So Trumbo might have cost the game last night with his play. But, in all fairness a few weeks ago, Jones had 2-3 bad plays one game.

In the past 78 games, I am sure, Trumbo's bat has done much to help them with their 47 wins.

Not sure I'm following you here. Who said the organization is dumb? Just trying to spark some conversation about what to do with a prospect that is blocked at his current position.

Not sure I'm following you here. Who said the organization is dumb? Just trying to spark some conversation about what to do with a prospect that is blocked at his current position.

We keep saying, Mancini needs to be tried out at COF.

The organization knows the logjam at first and the need for COF next season.

So is Mancini not seen as a potential COF and the organization making a mistake?

Archived