TT: Is it time to try Mancini in the OF at Norfolk?

Tony-OH

We keep saying, Mancini needs to be tried out at COF.

The organization knows the logjam at first and the need for COF next season.

So is Mancini not seen as a potential COF and the organization making a mistake?

I believe they should try him in the outfield. A scout from an outside the organization believes he should be tried out there as well. The Orioles have so far decided not to try it. Is it a mistake, I don't know, but I would at least give it a try. Trumbo didn't get his first taste of the outfield until AA when he was 23-years old. He only played 38 games in the outfield in the minors and was mainly converted into the outfield at the major league level because of need to find him ABs. Why not throw Mancini out there and see how he does in AAA? At the end of the day, he's a guy who's bat we'd like to find a place for at the major league level and if he can play the outfield satisfactory then that's one potential option for next year.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it meant cutting Nolan to make room for him would you do it? I think in order for him to get AB's that's what it would take.

Not sure but wouldn't it be better for him to continue getting at bats in 3A? I hope

he can start to play the OF in 3A.

I suppose if Duquette were even thinking about trading Mancini, it might make sense to not try a positional switch now. Better to leave other teams wondering whether Mancini could be converted to a COF, rather than (potentially) show he can't be. And you always have to wonder if a guy will keep hitting when being asked to learn a new position. Just makes sense to be conservative and not mess with his value, especially if outsiders are starting to get interested in him.

Reading between the tea leaves, it could very well be an indication that they view him as a trading chip. If they were so hell-bent on bringing him up, I think we all would see an effort to trot him out to the OF in the minors. Seems like the logical move yet it hasn't happened. You have to ask yourself why.

Or not.

The flip-side could be that with Trumbo and Alvarez on the roster that it's just too crowded there and the team will wait until next year.

I'm actually holding my breath on this one. To me, it's about 50/50 that he stays. I hate to let more prospects fly away and this guy can really hit. He'll save money on replacing Trumbo next year which should be the focus.

I suppose if Duquette were even thinking about trading Mancini, it might make sense to not try a positional switch now. Better to leave other teams wondering whether Mancini could be converted to a COF, rather than (potentially) show he can't be. And you always have to wonder if a guy will keep hitting when being asked to learn a new position. Just makes sense to be conservative and not mess with his value, especially if outsiders are starting to get interested in him.

Definitely good points on him being a possible trading chip and not messing with his value. At the same time, I'm not sure his value would drop or rise too much with an experiment in the OF. There just wouldn't be enough time to get a great read on him before the trading deadline. I will say though that he is probably their best trad chip right now if Duquette doesn't want to mess with his major league team.

Definitely good points on him being a possible trading chip and not messing with his value. At the same time, I'm not sure his value would drop or rise too much with an experiment in the OF. There just wouldn't be enough time to get a great read on him before the trading deadline. I will say though that he is probably their best trad chip right now if Duquette doesn't want to mess with his major league team.

He does has the physical size of a good first, 6'4" and long arms.

Is it? 2.4 War now, and it would not surprise me to see him in the 5 range at the end of the season.

If he does that, its not a bad deal.

Yet.

It's all about the "yet." Nothing wrong with the first 3-4 years of that deal. It's the back end we're going to regret. Of course, if we win a WS in the meantime, I really won't care that much that the back end sucks.

No harm in letting Mancini try it in AAA. My only concern is that we finally get a "prospect" hitting in AAA, that never happens, then risk messing up his head by moving to the OF. But he's going to have to be mentally tough to play in the MLB anyway.

As for the future, I wouldn't have a problem with Mancini being a cheap DH for 6 years. Rickard and Kim are at least two good platoon guys in the COF. Maybe a Kim/Reimold,D.Alvarez platoon in LF and a Avery,Yaz/Rickard platoon in RF would work.

Definitely something he could at least try in the AFL or another winter league. We have to get creative. If we re sign MW, I'd expect Sisco to start playing some OF.

Some cool ideas in this thread. I like the idea of starting Mancini as our full-time DH next year, while giving him some spot starts in right and in relief of Davis at first, especially against tough lefties, and off the bench. We could really stand to strengthen our bench anyway.

So unless we trade him (as part of a deal to land Pomeranz, for example), then bring him up and let him contribute.

It's all about the "yet." Nothing wrong with the first 3-4 years of that deal. It's the back end we're going to regret. Of course, if we win a WS in the meantime, I really won't care that much that the back end sucks.

I disagree. I think Davis earns his contract. I see no reason for him to regress at his age. I would expect him to do what he does for the next 3-4 years.

I would think more of the issue would be not wanting to mess with his bat at all by having him worrying about playing a whole new position. Maybe have him do drills with the other OF, then have him play there in AFL?

Tony, I know a few have asked and I'm not sure I've seen a definitive answer... How did his arm grade when he entered the org? Does the scout you spoke with think he has the arm for right or only LF?

Archived