TT: Is it time to try Mancini in the OF at Norfolk?

Tony-OH

If they are trying to make room for Mancini by moving him to RF, they should just put CD there. We know he can do it. Let Mancini play first. That's my bet for opening day 2017, if Mancini is not traded this summer.

This is my thought immediately. Surprise nobody else has really comment on this. Wasn't part of the agents negotiation with Davis this year that he can play in the outfield. I think you're much better off putting him out in the outfield and Mancini at first. However, Davis has saved a lot of runs and Errors of our infielders by playing close to gold glove caliber first base. That can't be understated.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my thought immediately. Surprise nobody else has really comment on this. Wasn't part of the agents negotiation with Davis this year that he can play in the outfield. I think you're much better off putting him out in the outfield and Mancini at first. However, Davis has saved a lot of runs and Errors of our infielders by playing close to gold glove caliber first base. That can't be understated.

Davis is playing great defense at first. Don't fix what isn't broken. Mancini can be a DH/backup 1b in his first year. Alvarez isn't the answer at dh full time but a platoon of Alvarez (at a reasonable cost) and Mancini seems like a reasonable solution. If we can't get Alvarez back, Mancini can be full time DH, sitting against the top righthanders.

What about trading Pedro Alvarez now for something to make room for Mancini? Then we could platoon Kim and Mancini at DH and maybe give Reimold a bit more playing time. I realize we are a bit short on lefty hitters but I don't see this as a huge sacrifice.

Not saying Pedro's done a bad job or anything, he's actually been fine IMO. But Mancini is the future and Pedro was just a last minute addition who we probably won't be bringing back next year. We might even be able to buy a bit of MLB relief pitching depth for Pedro Alvarez, which we could use if O'Day continues to struggle with his rehab.

I'm a little nervous about trading Mancini mid-season. Whoever we trade him to is going to know they have us over a barrel and would probably demand another prospect, maybe even Hunter Harvey or something for a decent MLB SP. Not sure if I want to see the O's give up that much.

Mancini is a good DH candidate for next year if he keeps it up, and could end up playing more and more first base as Chris Davis ages. I think he's an asset I'd rather have in the organization.

I disagree. I think Davis earns his contract. I see no reason for him to regress at his age. I would expect him to do what he does for the next 3-4 years.

Davis last 4 years normalized WAR if he doesn't miss any games, and you project this year out is 19.1. With a very down year in there.

He does that the next 4 years he pays for the contract, and then some. With 3 years left.

• 2 months later...

o

Now that Mancini is in the Majors, the Orioles have the same dilemma ....... what to do with a young, upstart player whose primary position is the same as that of a player who is signed through the 2022 season ???

For the time being, Mancini is being used as a DH against left-handed pitchers.

Will the right-handed DH platoon continue in 2017 ??? Will they make Mancini a cheap, team-controlled and cost-controlled full-time DH in 2017 against all both right-handed and left-handed pitchers ??? Will the Orioles try to get Mancini to play a little bit in the outfield in 2017, and use him as a part-time DH and a 4th or 5th outfielder ???

Stay tuned. It should be interesting.

Let Alvarez and Trumbo walk. Put Mancini in at DH. Possibly platoon Mancini and Kim at DH...give Mancini ABs against righties, obviously.

And sign a real OF for the love of god. This logjam of terrible defensive OFers is not good for our pitchers.

I disagree with you on Trumbo and how bad he has been in the OF.

Mancini and Kym is not going to produce what Trumbo and El Toro has produced, either.

I do like Bourn.

Let Alvarez and Trumbo walk. Put Mancini in at DH. Possibly platoon Mancini and Kim at DH...give Mancini ABs against righties, obviously.

And sign a real OF for the love of god. This logjam of terrible defensive OFers is not good for our pitchers.

Fowler is a free agent isn't he?

If the Orioles can find a top flight defensive CF who can at least get on base a bit I'd try this:

1. Extend Adam Jones with with the acknowledgment he is moving to RF. He won't be auditioning for a new FA contract after an extension so I'm hoping he is cool with moving to RF.

2. Aquire aforementioned top flight defensive CF and make your CF batting 8th. I realize this type of player may not available making all this impossible.

3. Trumbo and Alvarez walk freeing up money and getting comp picks (at least for Trumbo)

4. Kim/Mancini are your primary LF/DH platoon guys. Mancini spells Davis at 1B a good deal.

This *should* help the pitching staff as it significantly upgrades CF and RF defense.

Hopefully, AJ's bat improves as he can focus on offense more then defense.

I disagree with you on Trumbo and how bad he has been in the OF.

Mancini and Kym is not going to produce what Trumbo and El Toro has produced, either.

I do like Bourn.

Trumbo 5th worst defensively (taking into account *all* positions):

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,a

If Trumbo played at 1B or never played a day in the field and the O's had Fowler instead of Alvarez, I think we'd be in a better spot.

EDIT:

4th worst defensive OFer in all of baseball:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,a

He didn't handle it well. Nor did Duquette.

I hope the Orioles learned their lesson regarding opt outs, to be quite honest. I hate their hard stance on it.

Its an owner thing, and I have to say, personally, I agree, a contract is a contract.

The team doesn't get out of paying when you suck and you aren't worth the money, so why should you be allowed to walk and get more elsewhere?

Its an owner thing, and I have to say, personally, I agree, a contract is a contract.

The team doesn't get out of paying when you suck and you aren't worth the money, so why should you be allowed to walk and get more elsewhere?

Because the market dictates such?

Drawing a hard line in the sand isn't a way to run a business when you waited until the last possible minute and had to start 2/3 of your outfield in platoon roles and have put up some really terrible numbers defensively.

I think my biggest issue is waiting until the last possible minute. It forced Duquette to sign an injured Gallardo, get screwed on Fowler and had to react and sign Pedro Alvarez. Making at least an average OF defensively (Jones, Fowler, Kim/Rickard) to a terrible OF defensively (Jones, Kim/Rickard/Reimold, Trumbo).

As for the opt out, it depends on how long the contract is and when the opt out is. But beggars can't be choosers.

Archived