TT: Is it time to try Mancini in the OF at Norfolk?

Tony-OH

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean...it depends on how you value offense.

If you strictly go by homers and RBIs, then Trumbo is your man (45, 104 vs. 13, 47)

If you look at oWAR, then Dexter wins (3.9) over Trumbo (2.4).

If you want to look at OPS+, then Dexter wins (126 vs. 114).

Slash lines are similar: .275/.389/.449 - .838 OPS (Dexter) vs. .248/.312/.524 - .835 OPS

Basically Dexter has a much better eye, hits less homers...but he's also a SH and I have to imagine he'd see an uptick in homers at OPACY as a LHH.

So, pick your poison. I think Fowler is a much better overall player than Trumbo...homers be damned.

I guess I don't like the teams reliance on the long ball. They go into hero ball mode and can't execute basic fundamentals.

In addition Fowler has some speed and is a plus defender.

For a one game series we have a 25 man roster. So the roster makeup will be different. I'd say Mancini makes it. But I really hope that Jays don't pitch Happ.

What happened to Happ this year? He's 33 and has been a career no. 4 starter. He pitched to a 1.85 ERA in less than half a season in Pittsburgh last year and was 4.64 in Seattle before being traded. Four previous years his ERA's looked like this: 4.22, 4.56, 4.79, and 5.35.

Is this a guy who suddenly figured it out and is this year an outlier?

What happened to Happ this year? He's 33 and has been a career no. 4 starter. He pitched to a 1.85 ERA in less than half a season in Pittsburgh last year and was 4.64 in Seattle before being traded. Four previous years his ERA's looked like this: 4.22, 4.56, 4.79, and 5.35.

Is this a guy who suddenly figured it out and is this year an outlier?

His FIP is 3.92, his career FIP is 4.15. Doesn't look like anything is out of the ordinary to me.

For a one game series we have a 25 man roster. So the roster makeup will be different. I'd say Mancini makes it. But I really hope that Jays don't pitch Happ.

Happ is pitching tonight...so either he doesn't pitch until next Tuesday (8 days from now), or they bring him back Friday for a short outing vs Boston on 3 days rest and pitch him again on 3 days rest Tuesday.

Certainly doesn't appear they have lined him up for the wild card game.

Archived