TT: Is it time to try Mancini in the OF at Norfolk?

Tony-OH

Just my two cents: Mancini was ready to be a MLB player last season when he was destroying AA pitching. That trend has continued in AAA. What's there to wait on?? Anyways I'm all for handing him a glove and put him in the OF and see what happens. Couldnt be any worse than Trumbo could he?

Personally I prefer the patient approach. Mancini held his own for his first 40-50 games before going on his recent tear, and I'd prefer to let him settle in at that level and show he can dominate AAA pitching for a couple of months rather than a couple of weeks. It's not like our major league club has massive offensive holes to be filled. The team is playing well and I'd like to give Mancini a longer time to master things at AAA.

As to moving him to the OF right now, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, he is just starting to hit really well down there and I'd hate to do anything to disrupt his offensive progress by distracting him. On the other hand, in the long term it would be nice to know if he can be serviceable in the OF, and it would make Dan Duqette's job this winter a little easier if we knew whether Mancini is an OF option (full time or part time) defensively.

How is his 1B defense compared to Walker's, does anyone know?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the end of June, the organization knew they where top heavy in 1st and DH before the season started.

You would have thought that if Mancini had any ability to play a COF slot, they would have already been working with him and developing him, since thats the job of the minors to develop players.

The Orioles are 47-30. I'm not a big believer in defensive metrics when it comes to actually affecting a team negatively. Is Trumbo a below average outfielder, absolutely, but I can't remember a time this year where I've said, "he just cost a ball game."

They're scoring so many runs that a few questionable defensive plays haven't hurt often. I've watched plenty and agree with the metrics, Trumbo has been pretty damn terrible out there. It just hasn't mattered much.

Personally I prefer the patient approach. Mancini held his own for his first 40-50 games before going on his recent tear, and I'd prefer to let him settle in at that level and show he can dominate AAA pitching for a couple of months rather than a couple of weeks. It's not like our major league club has massive offensive holes to be filled. The team is playing well and I'd like to give Mancini a longer time to master things at AAA.

As to moving him to the OF right now, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, he is just starting to hit really well down there and I'd hate to do anything to disrupt his offensive progress by distracting him. On the other hand, in the long term it would be nice to know if he can be serviceable in the OF, and it would make Dan Duqette's job this winter a little easier if we knew whether Mancini is an OF option (full time or part time) defensively.

How is his 1B defense compared to Walker's, does anyone know?

I agree for the most part. I'd rather not see the O's mess with what is making Mancini successful. Its not often someone hits well at Norfolk. He can DH and backup 1B next year. If he is messed with his offense may drop and then what do the O's have? Another guy repeating AAA.

Let Dan go find a lefthanded rightfielder. He did well to find Kim and Trumbo last winter.

Keeping Mancini next year allows the O's to keep the pipeline of young cheap players coming. Something the O's need.

If Dan decides to package Mancini and Wright or Wilson for an experienced starter that would be ok and in the 'go for it' mold that Dan is known for. One of these days it will work and put Buck in Cooperstown.

This years team is starting to look like its only a starter away from a serious WS run.

I agree for the most part. I'd rather not see the O's mess with what is making Mancini successful. Its not often someone hits well at Norfolk. He can DH and backup 1B next year. If he is messed with his offense may drop and then what do the O's have? Another guy repeating AAA.

Let Dan go find a lefthanded rightfielder. He did well to find Kim and Trumbo last winter.

Keeping Mancini next year allows the O's to keep the pipeline of young cheap players coming. Something the O's need.

If Dan decides to package Mancini and Wright or Wilson for an experienced starter that would be ok and in the 'go for it' mold that Dan is known for. One of these days it will work and put Buck in Cooperstown.

This years team is starting to look like its only a starter away from a serious WS run.

Nothing said Mancini can hit at the big league level, but, I cant wait to see if he can.

Let Dan find a replacement for Trumbo, hopefully it will be better than Snyder, Para or De Aza. :)

They're scoring so many runs that a few questionable defensive plays haven't hurt often. I've watched plenty and agree with the metrics, Trumbo has been pretty damn terrible out there. It just hasn't mattered much.

The O's haven't played a lot of close games where you could say one play was the difference. One run games:

2012: 38

2013: 51

2014: 55

2015: 51

2016: 16 (on pace for 35)

We are 8-8 in one-run games, so they haven't been a big factor in our success, unlike 2012 (29-9) and 2014 (32-23).

The O's haven't played a lot of close games where you could say one play was the difference. One run games:

2012: 38

2013: 51

2014: 55

2015: 51

2016: 16 (on pace for 35)

We are 8-8 in one-run games, so they haven't been a big factor in our success, unlike 2012 (29-9) and 2014 (32-23).

Buck has shown that he will pull Trumbo for a defensive replacement in late innings.

I believe next year is JJ Hardy's last guaranteed year under contract (there is an option year). Start playing Mancini at 3rd in Norfolk, see what happens. There are a lot of guys who play 1st and third. If he can handle it, next year he comes up, DHs, plays some 1st, plays some 3rd while Manny slides over to SS, and the year after that Manny is your SS and Mancini is your 3rd baseman.

I agree with you here. He's an infielder, so move him over to third instead of RF.

If he could pan out as a decent third baseman, we could end up with a devastating infield. If third doesn't work for him, then give him a shot in RF.

I just don't agree with all the talk of hurting his hitting development by switching positions. It may have a minor short-term impact, but the kid can hit the ball no matter what position he's playing in the field.

I agree with you here. He's an infielder, so move him over to third instead of RF.

If he could pan out as a decent third baseman, we could end up with a devastating infield. If third doesn't work for him, then give him a shot in RF.

I just don't agree with all the talk of hurting his hitting development by switching positions. It may have a minor short-term impact, but the kid can hit the ball no matter what position he's playing in the field.

You can't just move a 24 year old first baseman to third who has never played the position before. It's not an easy position to play especially for a bigger guy, who already has questionable defensive abilities at first. Career infielders (i'm not talking about first basemen) can have trouble handling the position. Remember how Schoop looked at third?

It would be nice if we could just plug any player to any position we want to fill a hole, but it doesn't work that way.

Mark Reynolds and Pedro Alvarez have played 3B on winning teams (Okay, maybe not Buck caliber defense, but still), I see no reason why Mancini couldn't be passable there with a bit of work.

Alvarez and Reynolds are not passable third basemen. If he hasn't played there before and he is 24 I don't know if it is time for experiments. Let him hit the ball.

Also I don't see DD trading Mancini. He seems to not want to trade guys he thinks could help the big club. I think he see Mancini as next years DH.

Alvarez and Reynolds are not passable third basemen. If he hasn't played there before and he is 24 I don't know if it is time for experiments. Let him hit the ball.

Also I don't see DD trading Mancini. He seems to not want to trade guys he thinks could help the big club. I think he see Mancini as next years DH.

Zach Davies could have been this year's # 3 or # 4 starter and was Major League ready. Didn't stop him from getting dealt at the deadline last year. I don't think DD would hesitate to trade Mancini in the right deal. He's one of the few chips we have and you can bet teams will be going after him.

Zach Davies could have been this year's # 3 or # 4 starter and was Major League ready. Didn't stop him from getting dealt at the deadline last year. I don't think DD would hesitate to trade Mancini in the right deal. He's one of the few chips we have and you can bet teams will be going after him.

I wouldn't hesitate to move Mancini either, if the return is decent and actually moves the needle. I have no interest in moving him for the pitching equivalent of Gerardo Parra.

Mark Reynolds and Pedro Alvarez have played 3B on winning teams (Okay, maybe not Buck caliber defense, but still), I see no reason why Mancini couldn't be passable there with a bit of work.

Mancini doesn't have any of the attributes you look for in a 3B. Very few 1B are converted to 3B (I honestly don't remember one) but many get opportunities in the OF. I don't know if Mancini can play the outfield, but I do know he's got a much better chance of playing that passably than going to 3B.

I wouldn't hesitate to move Mancini either, if the return is decent and actually moves the needle. I have no interest in moving him for the pitching equivalent of Gerardo Parra.

Would you move him for Jeremy Hellickson or similar two month rental # 3 starter type? That's a scenario I can see happening.

I prefer to keep Mancini and Sisco since they could both potentially come in as soon as next season and be everyday contributors but if they are being moved I want a quality starter who is going to help us beyond just this year. It seems to be shaping up to be a seller's market and other teams have more to offer in the way of prospects than us, which means we could be overpaying to make a deal happen.

Archived