Kim?

cheecks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nor any reason to think that removing Kim from his niche role would result in the same production.

Showalter recently talked about the possibility of Kim being more than a strict platoon player, about the outfielder getting a chance against some lefties.

“I think it could evolve into that, but obviously, the left-handers there (in Korea) and the left-handers here are a lot different. Not a lot, but they’re different,” Showalter said.

“I think he’ll be OK. It has as much to do with trying to kind of work him into the league and the season and also to keep a carrot there for other people, whether it be Reimold or Rickard. We have a lot of guys, they get hot and get it going.

“I was looking at his numbers against left-handed pitching over there the last three years. It’s pretty interesting. He had one year when he was terrible and the one year he was real, real good. I asked him what was the difference. It was pretty funny. He’s learning the language, OK? He’s learning the language, some of the more colorful words.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/07/splits-could-keep-kim-in-lineup.html

No reason to think that he couldn't succeed against LHP either.

Given how inexpensive he is and that fact that he's performing at such a high level, Kim is a fairly interesting trade piece for some mid-market team looking towards next year.

I don't want to trade Kim, but if there is a place we can trade from a position of moderate strength, it's in the OF. Question is could he return a #3 / #4 starter?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hyun Soo Kim now hitting .348/.430/.486. By wRC+ he's 14th-best hitter in MLB (tied with Kris Bryant). O's got him on 2-year, $7 mil deal.</p>— Jonah Keri (@jonahkeri) <a href="

">July 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Hyun Soo Kim is resisting a demotion to the minors.

Should Kim fail to acquiesce, the Orioles will be forced to either keep him on the active roster or release him (and cover his $7 million contract in the process). The 28-year-old outfielder is slashing a meaty .338/.423/.478 with 10 doubles, three homers and 11 RBI over 136 part-time at-bats. The outward numbers are respectable, making Kim's resistance to a demotion somewhat understandable. Jul 6 - 4:45 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/8631/hyun-soo-kim

What an oddly timed article, is there talk of sending Kim down? :confused:

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Hyun Soo Kim is resisting a demotion to the minors.

Should Kim fail to acquiesce, the Orioles will be forced to either keep him on the active roster or release him (and cover his $7 million contract in the process). The 28-year-old outfielder is slashing a meaty .338/.423/.478 with 10 doubles, three homers and 11 RBI over 136 part-time at-bats. The outward numbers are respectable, making Kim's resistance to a demotion somewhat understandable. Jul 6 - 4:45 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/8631/hyun-soo-kim

What an oddly timed article, is there talk of sending Kim down? :confused:

No. Not at all.

Kim needs 356 PAs in the next 79 games, unless you're going to add hitless plate appearances to qualify. That's a 162-game pace of 730 PAs, which is a pace only about 130 players have had over a full season in MLB history. It seems unlikely that Kim will maintain a near-record PA pace over the last 79 games after averaging less than 2.0 PA/G so far.

Sorry, I'm not following your math. The Orioles have played 84 games. They have 78 left. Kim has 163 PAs, meaning he needs 339 PAs to qualify. Divided by 78 games, that's 4.35 PAs per game, or a pace of 704 over 162 games. Our own Manny Machado has had more than that twice in his brief career. Nick Markakis exceeded that six times as an Oriole.

If Kim continues to play everyday at the top of the order, he can qualify. It won't take some historical precedence.

He should be playing every day. As for his batting average, I think there's a couple reasons to think that it will be higher than it was in Korea. In Korea he hit for more power, whereas here he seems to be mostly content spraying the ball all over the field. Also, he seems immune to the defensive shifts that have brought down batting averages throughout MLB over the last few years. Do I think he's a .340 hitter? No. But I do think he could play every day and end up over .300 with a good OBP and a bit more power than he's shown so far. And that's a very valuable player to have. If Mazara keeps slumping, he has a shot at the ROY.

He should be playing every day. As for his batting average, I think there's a couple reasons to think that it will be higher than it was in Korea. In Korea he hit for more power, whereas here he seems to be mostly content spraying the ball all over the field. Also, he seems immune to the defensive shifts that have brought down batting averages throughout MLB over the last few years. Do I think he's a .340 hitter? No. But I do think he could play every day and end up over .300 with a good OBP and a bit more power than he's shown so far. And that's a very valuable player to have. If Mazara keeps slumping, he has a shot at the ROY.

The great Jtrea think Jones should be moved down and Kim starting every day.

Kim has had 4 at bats vs. lefties this year, that's crazy. They said that on the telecast.

Honestly the platoon is working out quite well IMO. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Perhaps Buck worries about his conditioning and he can't handle a full time gig at this point.

Let me tell you something. I spoke to a very inside official who said Kim is very coveted by several teams in a trade and the Orioles do NOT wish to trade him. He's come an awful long way from the guy that The Orioles would've released in ST(he wasn't in shape). This guy can flat rake. And he may have the best eye on the team. And by the way, he has FAR from embarrassed us in the field too. LET HIM PLAY!!

His defense is what scared me and he's been fine minus the weak arm. I don't know if he can handle lefties or not but he probably deserves more than 4 at bats to figure it out...

Sorry, I'm not following your math. The Orioles have played 84 games. They have 78 left. Kim has 163 PAs, meaning he needs 339 PAs to qualify. Divided by 78 games, that's 4.35 PAs per game, or a pace of 704 over 162 games. Our own Manny Machado has had more than that twice in his brief career. Nick Markakis exceeded that six times as an Oriole.

If Kim continues to play everyday at the top of the order, he can qualify. It won't take some historical precedence.

It would be quite unusual for a player who has gotten less than 2 PA/team game because he's been platooned and removed for defense often to suddenly be an all game every game fixture at the top of the lineup. It would be even more unusual for a player taken out of a part-time niche designed to maximize his successes continued to perform as well in an expanded role with no rest.

The great Jtrea think Jones should be moved down and Kim starting every day.

Kim has had 4 at bats vs. lefties this year, that's crazy. They said that on the telecast.

Honestly the platoon is working out quite well IMO. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Perhaps Buck worries about his conditioning and he can't handle a full time gig at this point.

In 1982 John Lowenstein had a 1.017 OPS and 24 homers in 322 PAs. He was a monster, and he went 1-for-7 against lefties. In 1983 Joe Altobelli corrected Earl's extravagance, and Lowenstein had another very productive season with the World Champs while going 0-for-1 against southpaws and 87-for-309 against righties.

Have to check out his defensive numbers. He appears to play a very deep LF and has trouble getting to anything hit into shallow or even medium deep LF. He plays a "no doubles" defense he whole game. lol

My wife and I discussed that again last evening. It's not great d. But it's not Delmon. And it might be as good as Reimold.

Archived