vs. Mariners 7/2

weams

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not what I was asking for or expecting. Sorry if that is the way you took it.

But getting pleasure from another team that got beat while OUR team is getting beat seems a little silly to me

Sorry - I might have a distorted sense of perspective

The Orioles have been my team since '69 at age 7, but I have an appreciation for players who were stars and icons before I started following baseball. If they played for the Yankees doesn't change my admiration for their place in the game. I absolutely abhored the relevant / winning 90s to present Yankees. I wasn't even a Jeter fan, but have grudging respect for him as much as I felt he was overrated. To have an admiration for Sooners, no matter whom they played for, is completely normal. A former Yankee was a mayor of Wake Forest NC and I found that kind of cool, being not that far from me. And Catfish Hunter, another NC boy, came to my junior high to visit his old high school catcher and his wife and some of my friends got to play ping pong with him and we got autographs. This was the winter he signed with NY. Don't change, MDSooner. It's not a distorted perspective.

Defending a team that is universally hated by Oriole fans on an Orioles fan site seems a lot sillier than that to me.

Then we will just disagree. Its no big thing.

Im not a Marylander. My wife and I enjoy going to about 25-30 games per year though

Nobody (including myself) is telling him to change his perspective. He can like the Yankees all he wants.

But getting joy from dancing on the Yankees' grave when they lose happens to be my perspective as a fan, of which he questioned in the first place.

I revel in Yankee losses. I just felt you were pretty harsh to a nice fella.

Nobody (including myself) is telling him to change his perspective. He can like the Yankees all he wants, and for whatever reasons that he wants.

But getting joy from dancing on the Yankees' grave when they lose happens to be my perspective as a fan, of which he questioned in the first place.

Im sorry. I did not mean to question you. My point (and I probably should have kept my mouth shut) was OUR team the ORIOLES are losing 3 straight to a .500 Seattle team

We need to worry about ourselves first and foremost

NashLumber, thank you

You're welcome. Patrick is a nice fella, too. I just hate to see folks I like in some misunderstanding. Big family here. I loooove it when NY loses as well, but loving Mantle, Maris, etc. is completely within reason as a baseball fan. I bleed orange and black, but I know exactly what you're saying.

Then we will just disagree. Its no big thing.

I'm not a Marylander. My wife and I enjoy going to about 25-30 games per year though

I'm not a Marylander, either.

I believe that the difference is that my Oriole fandom goes back to when I was a little boy, which is different than yourself.

I guess to try to ask you to relate would be if you were on a Sooners fan board in the late 70's or early 80's, and you were thrilled when Nebraska lost ...... and another Sooners fan started to explain that he had a connection to Nebraska, and that he had good reasons why he didn't hate them.

I suspect that your Sooners fandom is similar to my Orioles fandom in terms of passion.

And I'm sorry if I was overzealous.

I'm not a Marylander, either.

I believe that the difference is that my Oriole fandom goes back to when I was a little boy, which is different than yourself.

I guess to try to ask you to relate would be if you were on a Sooners fan board in the late 70's or early 80's, and you were thrilled when Nebraska lost ...... and another Sooners fan started to explain that he had a connection to Nebraska, and that he had good reasons why he didn't hate them.

I suspect that your Sooners fandom is similar to my Orioles fandom in terms of passion.

And I'm sorry if I was overzealous.

You should not have used Nebraska as an example. OU / Neb was always a well respected rivalry

However, if you used the University of Texas as an example then you are 100% correct

You should not have used Nebraska as an example. OU / Neb was always a well respected rivalry

However, if you used the University of Texas as an example then you are 100% correct

Well, I'm a Nebraska fan going back to my childhood, so that was the first thing that came to mind. I'm actually friends with David Humm now.

Archived