Joe Orsulak: Putting Dylan Bundy In Orioles' Rotation Would Risk His Future (He's starting anyway)

PressBoxOnline

Yea, I guess that is what makes this discussion so interesting, no one really knows what the right answer should be and we can really only find out if they make the wrong decision, not the right one.

No even if he gets injured it doesn't mean he wouldn't have gotten injured if we didn't start him. There is no control group no matter what we decide.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No even if he gets injured it doesn't mean he wouldn't have gotten injured if we didn't start him. There is no control group no matter what we decide.

So your approach is "he's fine to throw however many innings, if he gets hurt he was gonna get hurt anyway," then?

I would hope that the O's and their training staff would have a slightly more scientific approach.

So your approach is "he's fine to throw however many innings, if he gets hurt he was gonna get hurt anyway," then?

I would hope that the O's and their training staff would have a slightly more scientific approach.

I'm sure they do. But I don't think it's all about innings, either. They might increase his innings threshold by some modest number, and then keep an eye out for signs of arm fatigue.

I'm not going to speculate about it, especially before Buck has even spoken about what the plan is now.

DD said, there is no clear book on this, he has been cautious and at times they still get rehurt, and he has turned them lose and sometimes they do just fine.

I'm glad Bundy is finally getting a chance to start. I had just about given up hope that he would ever be a contributing pitcher for the O's.

I expect the O's will treat him with kid gloves and have him on a strict pitch count. I wouldn't be surprised if he is pulled after 70 or even 60 pitches. The O's might stretch out the process of getting him to 90+ pitches for a month. I would be surprised if they let him exceed 100 pitches in a start this year.

Looking forward to a huge milestone for this promising young pitcher. I know a lot of us have pinned a lot of hopes on him. Go get 'em Dylan! :thumbsup1:

I'm sure they do. But I don't think it's all about innings, either. They might increase his innings threshold by some modest number, and then keep an eye out for signs of arm fatigue.

I'm not going to speculate about it, especially before Buck has even spoken about what the plan is now.

I'm pretty sure the O's are going to keep Bundy on a strict pitch count for the rest of the season.

I agree with this. Bundy on a starter's schedule, out of the pen, multiple innings each time. He's become an effective member of the pen. If it ain't broke... Push him to about 100 innings this year doing what he's doing. Of course if he keeps being effective. Then next year starting for as long as he can go.

I agree with the idea of keeping him at 100 IP, but I really like the idea of him starting games instead of coming in to bail out someone else's mess every time. I think he works like a long man from the pen, except he starts the game. If Buck / DD avoid the temptation of stretching him out, we get the best of both worlds.

I'm pretty sure the O's are going to keep Bundy on a strict pitch count for the rest of the season.

Sure they are. However at some point you have to take the bubble wrap off. I don't think there is any concrete science on how many innings are too many. 70, 80, 120? When and if he gets to 70-80 then I think they will reevaluate things then and proceed from there. As Frobby said you look for signs of fatigue. Loss of velocity, loss of command, etc. Considering how little he has pitch I think his command of pitches has been pretty good so far. The first 50 pitches he throws Sunday will be interesting. What comes next will be even more interesting.

Sure they are. However at some point you have to take the bubble wrap off. I don't think there is any concrete science on how many innings are too many. 70, 80, 120? When and if he gets to 70-80 then I think they will reevaluate things then and proceed from there. As Frobby said you look for signs of fatigue. Loss of velocity, loss of command, etc. Considering how little he has pitch I think his command of pitches has been pretty good so far. The first 50 pitches he throws Sunday will be interesting. What comes next will be even more interesting.

You're right. There is no science to it. At one extreme you have Nolan Ryan who threw in the 90's as a 40 year old. On the other end of the spectrum you have teenagers blowing their arms out. There is no "sure way of dealing with pitchers".

Hypothetical: The Orioles put Bundy in the rotation and he wins more than he loses. The O's make the playoffs, Bundy pitches some postseason games and the O's win the World Series. Next spring, his arm starts to hurt and it's determined that he needs a second TJ surgery. He is never a successful major league pitcher again.

Worth it?

Absolutely...it might be another 30 years before we go back to the WS.

You're right. There is no science to it. At one extreme you have Nolan Ryan who threw in the 90's as a 40 year old. On the other end of the spectrum you have teenagers blowing their arms out. There is no "sure way of dealing with pitchers".

Nolan blew his arm out. Partial at first and the last pitch he threw complete.

Archived