Wieters watch...

Sports Guy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not put him on a fast track. Zimmerman only played 60 or games so in the minors. I think Wieters is right in that same category with Zimmerman in terms of talent and seasoning at top flight college programs. I would be shocked if he was not our catcher next year. Just have to find something to do with Ramon as he is under contract for one more year...maybe he will get hot and up his value!

Thanks!

I have to add another vote to the group that wants to fast track him. Assuming his defense and game calling skills are acceptable, Wieters looks like he'd be a huge upgrade over Ramon offensively at this point.

Sure there is no reason to rush him, but given everything I've heard about the guy and the way he's crushing minor league pitchers, maybe he's ready for the bigs and sending him to Bowie would just be holding the guy back.

Why not put him on a fast track. Zimmerman only played 60 or games so in the minors. I think Wieters is right in that same category with Zimmerman in terms of talent and seasoning at top flight college programs. I would be shocked if he was not our catcher next year. Just have to find something to do with Ramon as he is under contract for one more year...maybe he will get hot and up his value!

Agreed. I like Quiroz a lot, so I don't really want to dump him, but I think the case can be made for using Ramon as the right handed DH and backup catcher at this point. Perhaps we drop LH and carry three catchers until a new home for Ramon can be found?

FYI, he homered from both sides of the plate. I forgot to put that into my game recap, so I will share with all of you now. Acting Keys manager J.J. Cannon had some interesting comments to share about Wieters, and that will appear in the prospect tracker later this evening.

A five-run inning followed by a seven-run inning? Adam, you have the choicest job on OH! The Keys have their own mini Murderers' Row going.

It kills me that during my first visit to Baltimore during baseball season in four years, the schedules didn't allow me to get to Frederick. At least I got to see the O's twice, and the Nats (who really suck) and Baysox once.

The Bowie game featured Tillman, who can bring it, with lots of movement, and a curveball that bites like a piranha, and Mickolio, who's got future closer written all over him. He'll be scarier than Goose Gossage ever was. I also got a chance to see Nolan Reimold, who was slumping but still smoking the ball straight into people's gloves; Blake Davis, who looked lost at the plate (but seems to be coming around) but looks to have all the defensive tools; Lou Montanez, who's supposed to be more or less a AAAA player, but looks determined to prove that wrong (walk-off homer that game); Jonathan Tucker, who looks too small to get to the bigs, but plays a bigger man's game; and Ben Davis, who's huge, and who knew every swear word in the book, something he proved when he got run by the umpire late in the game (we were in the front row, just behind the plate).

Also got to see Chorye Spoone warm up in one of those silly exercises baseball players do, and the kid looks like a bulldog. He was really into the exercise, but the others were really into making Chorye run 20 yards to retrieve a ball he couldn't handle. It reminded me a lot of how Eddie Murray used to try to hit second base on warm-up throws to Cal. (On one of the two occasions I met Eddie, I asked him about that, and he laughed hard. "That boy's going to Cooperstown, no doubt about it. So I figure he needs to be reminded every now and again that he's gonna have to catch a few balls first. I'm just trying to keep his feet on the ground."

Damn, I loved Eddie.

FYI, he homered from both sides of the plate. I forgot to put that into my game recap, so I will share with all of you now. Acting Keys manager J.J. Cannon had some interesting comments to share about Wieters, and that will appear in the prospect tracker later this evening.

Hearing any buzz there about a promotion? I was planning to come up this week to see a game, might have to do that on Tuesday.

Archived