If This Team Collapse For The Second Straight Year, Doesn't Buck Have To Take A Hit?

ORIOLE33

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they didn't ,they wouldn't be power hitters. How many HR does Kim have with his approach? Do you not like Earls?

There are plenty of power hitters in baseball who know how to work counts and draw walks. Look at all the power hitters who have an OBP over .400: Trout, Donaldson, Ortiz, Goldschmidt, Votto, Bryant. By contrast, outside of Kim the Orioles right now don't have anybody with even a .360 OBP.

There are plenty of power hitters in baseball who know how to work counts and draw walks. Look at all the power hitters who have an OBP over .400: Trout, Donaldson, Ortiz, Goldschmidt, Votto, Bryant. By contrast, outside of Kim the Orioles right now don't have anybody with even a .360 OBP.
How many teams have more than one? There are 9 Hitters with OBP over .400. 2 have less than 20 HR so I wouldn't consider them power hitters. Only 3 have 30 or more, the rest have between 20 and 25 so I would say there's a trade off between power and high OBP.

How many teams have more than one? There are 9 Hitters with OBP over .400. 2 have less than 20 HR so I wouldn't consider them power hitters. Only 3 have 30 or more, the rest have between 20 and 25 so I would say there's a trade off between power and high OBP.

Eh, I disagree. I think a .400 OBP is a tough baseline to go off of when trying to make the argument of power vs. OBP.

For instance, if you drop that .400 cutoff to .360 (as picked by the OP re: Kim):

41 hitters

7 have 30+

22 have 20+

27 have 15+

38 have 10+

3 have < 10

It all depends what you consider a power hitter, of course. But a 360 OBP and above is certainly elite, IMHO. And when 71% of those 360+ OBP hitters have 20 or more homers, I don't think it's necessarily fair to say there's a trade-off between power and high OBP.

It gets more interesting if you actually use walk percentage. OBP can very much be a function of batting average, so maybe that's a good exercise for next post.

Eh, I disagree. I think a .400 OBP is a tough baseline to go off of when trying to make the argument of power vs. OBP.

For instance, if you drop that .400 cutoff to .360 (as picked by the OP re: Kim):

41 hitters

7 have 30+

22 have 20+

27 have 15+

38 have 10+

3 have < 10

It all depends what you consider a power hitter, of course. But a 360 OBP and above is certainly elite, IMHO. And when 71% of those 360+ OBP hitters have 20 or more homers, I don't think it's necessarily fair to say there's a trade-off between power and high OBP.

It gets more interesting if you actually use walk percentage. OBP can very much be a function of batting average, so maybe that's a good exercise for next post.

.400 was the margin he gave, talk to him.

Well, he almost mentioned Kim.

I'm just going off your theory of power being at odds with patience/OBP.

Depends on your definition of power. I don't consider a 20-25 HR guy a power hitter on the order of Trumbo, Manny, Davis, Donaldson, Encarnacion, Ortiz, etc. I'd say .500 SLG or better.

The trade off is pretty small. Because once you show pitchers that you will take a walk, you then start getting more pitches to hit. Trumbo would be a more valuable hitter than he now is if he had half the number of home runs he currently has but a .400 OBP.

.400 was the margin he gave, talk to him.

I was just looking at the most elite and noticing that they were mostly power hitters. Obviously, a .380 OBP is great also. A .360 OBP is strong. Mark Trumbo has a .316 OBP. Jonathan Schoop has a .311 OBP. Adam Jones, etc. This is how you lead all of baseball in home runs but only have a slightly above-average offense.

Depends on your definition of power. I don't consider a 20-25 HR guy a power hitter on the order of Trumbo, Manny, Davis, Donaldson, Encarnacion, Ortiz, etc. I'd say .500 SLG or better.

You do realize that if you use .500 slugging or better to categorize a power hitter that there are 42 hitters that currently match that criteria.

Of those 42, 16 of them have 20-25 homers.

A 20-25 homer guy is certainly a power hitter by your criteria. So what is the next threshold? .550 OPS? Only 11 of them in the game. And 5 of them haven't hit 30 homers, yet.

Archived