Will the fans show?

Todd-O

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As it's been said, it was a perfect storm of several bad factors. I and another co-worker of mine didn't renew our season tickets because of how late we got our ticket info for the season. Ticket prices went up. I mean O's ticket are still reasonably price when looking at MLB tickets as a whole but they went up none the less. Fanfest was held too early. I was in town that day but went to an event with my family at the arena instead. Bad weather for most of the mid-April to mid-May. And of course the perception of the trials being held. I get a lot of "Aren't you concerned about something happening" comments a good bit. I seen a few "Baltimore is a bad baseball town" comments. We know that's not true. But these are just realities they had to deal with this season. Hopefully they'll wise up and have more discounted ticket nights and do away with prime games and the such next year.

Here's what it cost me to use my free ticket tonight...

Ticket for my son $33 (need to train ticket reps better as I now realize she did not give me my season plan member price).

Hot dog $5

Chicken tenders and fries $10

Large soda $5.75

Small soda $4.75

Large water $7.50

Cotton Candy $5

Two lemonades $10

Parking $10

Small stuffed Orioles bird $25

Total $116 for two people with one free ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what it cost me to use my free ticket tonight...

Ticket for my son $33 (need to train ticket reps better as I now realize she did not give me my season plan member price).

Hot dog $5

Chicken tenders and fries $10

Large soda $5.75

Small soda $4.75

Large water $7.50

Cotton Candy $5

Two lemonades $10

Parking $10

Small stuffed Orioles bird $25

Total $116 for two people with one free ticket.

No beers? Should have stood in the DD line. 2 free sodas and other things I believe.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

As someone who has a 13-game plan and still goes to a ton of other games, I feel like anyone can find reason for why they don't want to go.

But there are counterpoints to every point too.

For those talking about how much it "costs" at the game for concessions, is it still not common knowledge that you can bring pretty much any and all food into the park so you don't have to drop a dime on it? I've taken in whole subs from Subway, even Chipotle bowls. Sure, that costs money too, but you get way more for your buck than the $7 hot dog.

Also, other than alcohol, which I admittedly don't drink at all, you can bring in multiple bottles of water/soda etc. So if you're concerned about concessions, easy ways to save money there.

The official parking lots cost $8-$10 (or heck, even free at the Horseshoe). Again, that's nothing compared to almost every other single stadium I've ever been to. Nationals Park has $40 parking.

I also think that almost any seat at Oriole Park is fine, so I'm totally fine with buying the cheapest Upper Reserve ticket and having a great time. I don't need to go get the $80 behind home plate stuff.

I realize a lot of this is "I" and my own preferences, but there are definitely ways to not drop hundreds of dollars if you plan ahead.

So people have their reasons for going or not going. I think we all would love to have a stadium full of orange-and-black rabid, passionate and fun-loving fans at every game they go to. And sure, I get mad too when people throw out tons of excuses that may not be valid to me, but they are to those people.

But Oriole Park is a fantastic place to watch a ballgame. I think we can all agree on that. I just wish more people would do it.

I honestly am super disappointed with Orioles fans right now. I live in California, or else I would be at Camden Yards without a doubt. I went to 3 Orioles games when they were out here, one at Dodgers Stadium, one at Petco Park, and one in Anaheim. And I went to an O's game when I was back home.

I'm not trying to chastise anyone per se, but rather the Orioles fan base as a whole. Spend 20 bucks and go cheer on the team! We are in a playoff race!

I'm starting to wonder if Angelos was right when he said the Nationals would take away some of our fans (which is sickening). Loyalty is a good trait.

For those talking about how much it "costs" at the game for concessions, is it still not common knowledge that you can bring pretty much any and all food into the park so you don't have to drop a dime on it? I've taken in whole subs from Subway, even Chipotle bowls. Sure, that costs money too, but you get way more for your buck than the $7 hot dog.

Also, other than alcohol, which I admittedly don't drink at all, you can bring in multiple bottles of water/soda etc. So if you're concerned about concessions, easy ways to save money ther

We know about this stuff. But "we" also are different than the casual fan. Your answer is "no" people do not know they can bring in all the food they want.

It is very possible for the average fan to go to a game for $20 or less. But the Orioles need to make it more well known HOW to do this.

I honestly am super disappointed with Orioles fans right now. I live in California, or else I would be at Camden Yards without a doubt. I went to 3 Orioles games when they were out here, one at Dodgers Stadium, one at Petco Park, and one in Anaheim. And I went to an O's game when I was back home.

I'm not trying to chastise anyone per se, but rather the Orioles fan base as a whole. Spend 20 bucks and go cheer on the team! We are in a playoff race!

I'm starting to wonder if Angelos was right when he said the Nationals would take away some of our fans (which is sickening). Loyalty is a good trait.

Angelos took away many of the fans. Ran the team for years as a joke.Many people I talk to just don't care about the Orioles. It has came back for many but some still don't care.

As someone who has a 13-game plan and still goes to a ton of other games, I feel like anyone can find reason for why they don't want to go.

But there are counterpoints to every point too.

Also, other than alcohol, which I admittedly don't drink at all, you can bring in multiple bottles of water/soda etc. So if you're concerned about concessions, easy ways to save money there.

The official parking lots cost $8-$10 (or heck, even free at the Horseshoe). Again, that's nothing compared to almost every other single stadium I've ever been to. Nationals Park has $40 parking.

I also think that almost any seat at Oriole Park is fine, so I'm totally fine with buying the cheapest Upper Reserve ticket and having a great time. I don't need to go get the $80 behind home plate stuff.

I realize a lot of this is "I" and my own preferences, but there are definitely ways to not drop hundreds of dollars if you plan ahead.

So people have their reasons for going or not going. I think we all would love to have a stadium full of orange-and-black rabid, passionate and fun-loving fans at every game they go to. And sure, I get mad too when people throw out tons of excuses that may not be valid to me, but they are to those people.

But Oriole Park is a fantastic place to watch a ballgame. I think we can all agree on that. I just wish more people would do it.

I'm not saying it can't be done cheaper, just how much I spent. Certainly, buying a $10 toy for $25 is not required of any fan. It's hard for a family of four to attend for much less than $50 though, even with the best planning. That's a lot for some people.

A bit of misinformation out there on a couple fronts just:

- There is no price difference between buying in advance or buying the day of the game? the last time that existed was during the 2013 season.

- There are no fees of any kind when you purchase tickets at the box office windows, which are open 7 days a week. You do not need to buy tickets online; if you prefer not to pay a convenience fee, you can come down to the box office the day of a game or in advance.

Also, none if you buy through your account rep or ticket services as a plan holder.

The info contained in the link is consistent with what we’ve pretty much known all year, though it is interesting to see that everyone has their own #1 reason why they are absolutely sure attendance is down… and the reality it is actually ALL of those reasons, combined. And each fan is affected differently by that combination of reasons, though the end result is that many fans are not coming to as many games as one would expect for a team with the best record in the American League since 2012, and who was in first place for 70 days this year… and who if the season ended today would be in the postseason.

Points both ways.

Archived