Wow, Trumbo's RF really is pathetic

FanSince88

This was common knowledge.

When he was traded for it was discussed.

When Davis was signed it was discussed.

When Alvarez was signed it was discussed.

I am guessing the plan was for Trumbo to DH but Fowler had to go and mess up our plans.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your description of the play makes it sound like Trumbo was lackadaisical. I don't think that's it. He's just not athletic and comfortable with his body out there. Plus, he is deathly afraid of the outfield wall. Frankly, I think he's gotten worse with each passing month.

I have to say, Kim is also terrible. He's not as awkward as Trumbo, so his misplays are not as obvious, but he's painfully slow, gets poor jumps and plays so deep that many balls fall in front of him.

I think we could see a lot of Bourn and Stubbs in September.

Trumbo just did not pick up the ball and then looked like he was afraid to go after it full tilt and let the ball get by him. Corner outfield play has been awful this year. Might be the worst outfield defense of any team.

In the 8th inning last night, a guy for the Jays hit a lazy fly ball that seemed to hang in the air for ten seconds,

and seemed to go only about 20 yards away from where Trumbo was stationed. He lightly jogged over to it,

and casually stopped right in front of the ball as it bounced right in front of him.

Utterly pathetic. And of course it led to the 4th Jays run.

Obviously Trumbo's offense has been important. And we need Pedro's bat in the lineup

at DH against righties. So there's not really much we can do about this if without majorly

compromising our offense. But still, it's pretty bad out there.

OF has been putrid all year. People tend to think that unless they see a guy drop a ball that all is fine. The issue is range. We have the slowest OF I have seen in recent memory, even with AJ in CF. AJ should be moved to left and a speedster inserted in CF over the off-season. But we all know that Jones will be in CF for the next 10 years, bc you can't "disrespect" a veteran like that.

OF has been putrid all year. People tend to think that unless they see a guy drop a ball that all is fine. The issue is range. We have the slowest OF I have seen in recent memory, even with AJ in CF. AJ should be moved to left and a speedster inserted in CF over the off-season. But we all know that Jones will be in CF for the next 10 years, bc you can't "disrespect" a veteran like that.

Jones only has two years left on his contract, and his arm at least plays in RF. His CF defense doesn't seem nearly as bad to me as Trumbo's in RF or Kim/Reimold in LF.

People tend to think that unless they see a guy drop a ball that all is fine. The issue is range.

Yeah, and it's something that you can't really see on TV. I was there last night and saw with my own eyes just how terrible that play was. Any minor league, or heck any starting high school right fielder would have easily caught that ball.

If that's what Trumbo's normal RF range looks like, then it's not surprise at all that he's only worth 1 WAR. Which is still not a bad value, but unless we put him at DH full time next year I don't really want him back.

I'm seeing that Pedro Alvarez is worth 0.5 WAR. Which isn't bad for the money he's getting.

So I guess it's a wash in terms of player value to have Trumbo at RF and Alvarez at DH. But it shouldn't take 40 HR from Trumbo and 19 HR from Pedro to make it a wash.

Jones only has two years left on his contract, and his arm at least plays in RF. His CF defense doesn't seem nearly as bad to me as Trumbo's in RF or Kim/Reimold in LF.

I may have been one the few proponents of moving Jones to RF in years past based on his arm strength, but his assists this year (4) is way down from his career numbers in Baltimore of (8 seasons 79A ~ 9.875 p/yr).

Anectdotally, he doesn't seem as accurate when I watch him and his defense hasn't been good this year (-10 DRS), which I attribute to his insistence on playing shallow. He does not go back on the ball well. Just as a reference point, Trumbo is -9 DRS this year.

I can't help but think the shoulder injury last year has had an effect. I'd move him to LF, however, Buck likely keeps in CF out of loyalty.

That said, Jones at his worst (physically) is still more athletic than Trumbo.

Fowler would have dramatically changed this club. Signing Alvarez pretty much turned the OF into a DH only outfield (aside from Jones) for the entire year. Rickard, Kim, Reimold, Trumbo, Davis...they're all poor OF'ers. Some awful, some merely bad.

If you have a poor pitching staff...having poor OF defense is going to be make them glaringly worse. Thank goodness we have an amazing infield.

Fowler would have dramatically changed this club. Signing Alvarez pretty much turned the OF into a DH only outfield (aside from Jones) for the entire year. Rickard, Kim, Reimold, Trumbo, Davis...they're all poor OF'ers. Some awful, some merely bad.

If you have a poor pitching staff...having poor OF defense is going to be make them glaringly worse. Thank goodness we have an amazing infield.

By every metric, Jones has been pretty bad too. The whole outfield has been a problem defensively.

No, of course Jones is not nearly as bad. But when we set our OF for 2017, the option of moving Jones to RF and picking up a younger, faster CF should be considered. Jones isn't as fast as he used to be.

I don't like when the announcers say Trumbo is still learning to play the outfield and is working hard on learning it.He has played over 330 games in the outfield Almost as many as he has played at first base .

That's just the announcers trying not to be overly critical. There's pretty much zero chance that Trumbo's outfield defense is going to improve from here.

Archived