Buck Stuff

ChuckS

As horrible as this was (and it was horrible!)' date=' can you imagine the OH reaction if Buck had done this in game 7 of the WS. I think the site's server would crash as well as every cup and bottle in every bar in Baltimore![/quote']

If we get to the 7th game of the World Series I wouldn't have had as much problem with it. We didn't even get a home playoff game. If Buck could have gotten us to Game 7 of the World Series there would not be that many complaints.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pete Carroll's stunningly stupid decision to throw the ball at the end of the Super Bowl rather than give it to Lynch is way ahead of all other coaching blunders, as well it should be. Even had the O's won last night, they were many miles from a championship. Carroll had one right in his hands, and threw it away, literally. That was truly a blunder for the ages.

I don't know you could say he was going to catch the other team off-guard as they were expecting a run. Not pitching Britton all game is equivalent to not playing Lynch all game. Sorry that doesn't compare. The only reason that is winning is everyone watched the Super Bowl and not a lot of people watched the Orioles wild card game.

Wow! Too bad someone couldn't have referenced that quote last night during the post game press conference. LOL

The MASN folks won't ask real questions and the National Press couldn't have cared less what happened in Orioles games before last night.

Matheny made exactly the same decision in 2014, so Buck's can logically be at worst tied for worst ever. Stupid ESPN.

The two situations aren't even remotely comparable. Trevor Rosenthal is basically Mychal Givens without the absurd lefty/righty splits. Rosenthal has great stuff but he also has very erratic control and allows a ton of baserunners. The guy's prone to blow up any time he takes the mound. Plus he had a WHIP of 2.73 in his previous four postseason appearances that year. It was very understandable why Matheny didn't want to go to him in that situation and gave the ball to Michael Wacha who had pitched very well out of the bullpen as a rookie the previous year.

Best article I've read on the matter so far is the five-thirty-eight piece. On my phone, so can't link it, but would love to have the author and Buck sit around a table and discuss it.

Also a good argument against those who think post-Moneyball baseball is all stats and sabermetrics--in certain aspects of the game old non-scientific conventional wisdom is still the norm. Buck proved that last night.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Who would that be?

I'm thinking it's nobody.

cimota, you really are enjoying wallowing in this, aren't you? We all saw the game and I'm not sure what we gain by reading that many pundits thought Buck's strategy was bad. That opinion and the underlying reasoning has been discussed ad nauseum.

Personally, I feel it is being overblown. We didn't muster any offense after the fifth inning and I view that as the principal reason we lost, as well as an indicator that we might have lost even if Britton had been used at some point and tossed two shutout innings.

No I am sick to the stomach about it. People say some posters are making a bigger deal out of this than it is. Buck is the laughing stock of baseball. I could add a bunch more but doesn't seem that anyone wants to read them. They are more interested in sticking to the narrative that Buck knows best. The principal reason we lost is Buck put in the worst pitcher in Major League Baseball 4 months into the season over a guy who has only given up one run since April. It is a ridiculously bad decision. I was saying it in the game thread at the time. Buck cost us the game plain and simple. He has been horrible all year. The chance of having home playoff games was gone as soon as Jiminnez headed towards the mound.

Who would that be?

I'm thinking it's nobody.

You might be right within the confines of this forum, but talk to some (mostly older) folks in different venues (our minor league ballpark here in Louisville, for example) and you'll hear vocal complaints about how traditional scouting has been undermined by stats and a fair deal of skepticism about WAR being a better indicator of a player's value than batting average and RBIs.

You might be right within the confines of this forum, but talk to some (mostly older) folks in different venues (our minor league ballpark here in Louisville, for example) and you'll hear vocal complaints about how traditional scouting has been undermined by stats and a fair deal of skepticism about WAR being a better indicator of a player's value than batting average and RBIs.

I think WAR has issues. I am sure the successful front offices are using more statistics than WAR to calculate a players worth.

No I am sick to the stomach about it. People say some posters are making a bigger deal out of this than it is. Buck is the laughing stock of baseball. I could add a bunch more but doesn't seem that anyone wants to read them. They are more interested in sticking to the narrative that Buck knows best. The principal reason we lost is Buck put in the worst pitcher in Major League Baseball 4 months into the season over a guy who has only given up one run since April. It is a ridiculously bad decision. I was saying it in the game thread at the time. Buck cost us the game plain and simple. He has been horrible all year. The chance of having home playoff games was gone as soon as Jiminnez headed towards the mound.

I have read every one that you have posted. I am sick to the stomach as well. Again, as Tntoriole posted above...Earl Weaver, who made the Hall of Fame (you might look that up while googling Buck Sucks to find more articles), lost WS in 69, 71 and 79. Many people believe that the O's were the better team in all three of those series. Buck gambled and lost and the O's season is done. But if we are being completely fair, and read your post above...well it is clear that you really do not know what you are talking about. It's not that no one wants to read the articles....it's not a narrative that the Almighty Buck knows best....it's your hyperbolic froth that just simply cannot be taken seriously.

I have read every one that you have posted. I am sick to the stomach as well. Again, as Tntoriole posted above...Earl Weaver, who made the Hall of Fame (you might look that up while googling Buck Sucks to find more articles), lost WS in 69, 71 and 79. Many people believe that the O's were the better team in all three of those series. Buck gambled and lost and the O's season is done. But if we are being completely fair, and read your post above...well it is clear that you really do not know what you are talking about. It's not that no one wants to read the articles....it's not a narrative that the Almighty Buck knows best....it's your hyperbolic froth that just simply cannot be taken seriously.

I am being Hyperbolic? A lot of the press is saying it is the worst managerial decision ever. You think my posts are hyperbolic compared to the articles?

I don't see many people sticking to the narrative that Buck knows best. Most people, including me, think it was a bad choice. The only issues are (1) how bad of a choice was it, and (2) it cannot be known if we would have won the game if he had made a different choice.

I don't see many people sticking to the narrative that Buck knows best. Most people, including me, think it was a bad choice. The only issues are (1) how bad of a choice was it, and (2) it cannot be known if we would have won the game if he had made a different choice.

No of course we don't know what would have happened if Britton was brought into the game at some point last night. We know what happened when Jiminez was brought in. So yeah Buck's mistake ensured a loss. Zach could have pitched 2 scoreless inning and Hunter could have given a Home run ball in the 14th for all we know.

My other problem with Buck other than bringing in Jiminez is why did he have Britton warm up on 3 seperate occasions? If he had him warm up bring him into the game. It really makes no sense. If you want to save him until we get a head don't warm him up.

Archived