Buck Stuff

ChuckS

You know, searching through that Ubaldo vs. Tillman thread, there were a lot of votes for Ubaldo to start this game.

This one is a hard one to swallow but people bashing Buck and pretending they can manage better are deluding themselves.

I said I would not want to make that decision. But if you ask me who should pitch in a tie game in extra innings I take Britton over anyone in baseball.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also think he saw how Liriano was running through the team and thought he needed to get something out of Ubaldo.

Road vs. away game.

Liriano > Ubaldo

Ubaldo allowed 2 hits on pitches up in the zone

If you look at the pitches that were hit...all 3 were up. Same spot.

Why not Britton?

Yeh, it is pretty sad. I disagree with the decision too but calling for him to be fired is craziness. We beat projections 5 straight years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is crazy talk. That being said his late season strategy was hard to fathom. Don't get it. I get the frustration.

You know, searching through that Ubaldo vs. Tillman thread, there were a lot of votes for Ubaldo to start this game.

This one is a hard one to swallow but people bashing Buck and pretending they can manage better are deluding themselves.

That's not the same as leaving the best relief pitcher in Major League Baseball to preserve a tie game in the 12th on the bench to go to a starting pitcher.

Look' date=' I am very grateful to Buck. He has brought us (not single handily but played a big part) in bring us back to the winning ways after nearly 15 years of losing. But were trying for a WS title and based on the evidence in front of me I'm not sure we can win under Buck. I don't think I'm being that irrational. Please I welcome other opinions, I'm willing to listen.[/quote']

Buck's legacy will be as a manager who can rally the troops over the long haul to rouse a team to do what's necessary to win most of the time during the regular season, but when push comes to shove, he just makes mind-bogglingly stupid decisions and falls into a rut of irrationality.

Basically, a footnote, in the end - no one special.

He reminds me EXACTLY of Sir Dudley Pound, Britain's First Sea Lord (highest ranking naval officer) who sentenced PQ-17 to its death during WWII when he ordered the completely bone-headed move to "scatter" the convoy just because of the threat of an enemy vessel (not even confirmed!).

If Buck were a military officer in WWII, Germany would have won.

Use him for what? To get on base? To hit more homeruns? Get these guys to show more plate discipline?

We're they on offense or defense at the end of the game. Because the offense didn't perform you leave your best pitcher in the pen?

I don't think I can manage better than Buck. In fact, I am 100% sure I can't. However, I am also 100% sure that I could have managed the 11th there better than Buck did. He's a good manager. He just made an epic, all-time horrible series of strategic decisions. I suppose it happens - but he sure picked a bad time.

For years I wondered why Buck never to a team to the WS.

At first was surprised at PH Nolan for Kim. Is Kim going to to melt if he faces a lefty? Nolan is terrible.

I am fine with bringing Ubaldo..but you know that is a crapshoot. He will be unhittable, or implode very fast. At the minimum I have Britton ready the second Ubaldo does anything but get an out. Leaving Ubaldo in past the first baserunner is unforgivable.

Archived