CBS predicts that Wieters "unlikely" to get a QO; Trumbo definitely gets one

FanSince88

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Roch said back in August that the Orioles FO had decided to not issue a QO to MW this time around??????

Trumbo is a loaded dice on the merrits of a QO, since its what, 16.7 million or something like that?

Yes they hinted that they weren't giving MW a QO; hence the CBS prediction of "unlikely". The QO is set at 17.2m actually.

He won't get that amount annually but he should be fine to get a multi year deal worth $40-50m.

I think Trumbo definitely rejects. At his age, he'd probably prefer even a 3/25 deal to 1/17.2. I would value stability and predictability in my salary if I were him.

I think Trumbo may take the QO if offered. I don't see him getting that much in the open market due to his defensive abilities.

Sure, a 4 year guaranteed deal will easily get him $50M, and he should be seeking guaranteed money at this point in his career. Cruz got $58M two years ago after putting up very similar offensive numbers.

I think Trumbo would almost assuredly reject the QO. Someone will wishcast him into a 3+ win first baseman and sign him to a 4/65 deal.

But what do I know? I still think Wieters would have gotten $30M+ on the open market last year.

Especially with the weak FA class.

I'd offer the QO to both of them. I think Wieters is the top FA catcher available with Ramos being hurt. I could see him getting a 3 or 4 year deal for 12-15M per year. That's enough, IMO, to turn down 1/17.2. Worst case, you have another 1 year bridge (albeit an overpriced one) to Sisco. Best case, you get a nice draft pick. I'd take the gamble.

Trumbo will definitely turn it down since I think he'll get a 4 or 5 year deal for probably around 15M per year. I could see Boston signing him as the replacement to Big Papi. His bat in Fenway would definitely play.

I would not offer one to either one. Trumbo keeps saying he likes Baltimore so he'd like to come back and I don't want him in right field. Weiters is more a matter of principle to me. We held up his chance for big money from someone a year ago so now we should let him take his shot. Plus, paying money to either or both gets in the way of having money for Manny and others we need to keep on the team.

I would not offer one to either one. Trumbo keeps saying he likes Baltimore so he'd like to come back and I don't want him in right field. Weiters is more a matter of principle to me. We held up his chance for big money from someone a year ago so now we should let him take his shot. Plus, paying money to either or both gets in the way of having money for Manny and others we need to keep on the team.

No way Trumbo takes 1/17 and gives up a chance at 4/48 or more (probably significantly more).

Archived