Shouldn't the O's promote from within?

AZRon

I?m going to guess that the next hire comes from outside the organization, simply because of the ?robbing Peter to pay Paul? principle. Otherwise, bullpen coach Dom Chiti would be a logical successor.

Triple-A Norfolk pitching coach Mike Griffin and Double-A Bowie pitching coach Alan Mills deserve serious consideration, but their curse is the value they bring in their present roles.

To me, this seems a bit counter-intuitive

I assume that most minor league coaches aspire to a major league position

What little information that I was able to find suggested that minor league coaches at the upper levels were paid $50k to $100k and that major league pitching coaches were in the $150k to $350k range

On the one hand, an organization that demonstrates it will offer major league promotions to those that perform well for them in the minors should attract the better performers

On the other hand, you may need your best instructors and developers at the minor league levels

What's your take?

To me, this seems a bit counter-intuitive

I assume that most minor league coaches aspire to a major league position

What little information that I was able to find suggested that minor league coaches at the upper levels were paid $50k to $100k and that major league pitching coaches were in the $150k to $350k range

On the one hand, an organization that demonstrates it will offer major league promotions to those that perform well for them in the minors should attract the better performers

On the other hand, you may need your best instructors and developers at the minor league levels

What's your take?

My guess is a lot depends on what Dave Wallace wants to do. Though he does not want to be the O's major league pitching coach any longer, does he want to be available to help the O's pitching coach. If he does that helps Chiti or Ramon Martinez. The respect the that O's have for Wallace means to me that they would value him coming to Baltimore to help out struggling pitchers whenever that would be helpful.

However, If Wallace just wants to be a roving minor league instructor then that reduces his influence on who the next O's pitching coach would be.

I have to think Griffin gets some serious consideration. How many more "Buck" guys are out there? We've been through like 4 pitching coaches since he began here. We need Mills in AA this year with all the high end BP arms that will be going through there at some point next year.

I would think this would likely be the first move to happen this offseason, but it's not like we're going to be courting any FA P's.

Archived