Buck Showalter Discusses Wild Card Criticism

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why can't he just explain his thinking at the time. I don't get it. Everyone already assumes his thinking was wrong. What is wrong with giving an explanation? Maybe some people will actually agree.

I am really tired of hearing about it. He screwed up and made a really bonehead decision. Hopefully he learns from his decision.

The explanation was simple - he wanted to save Britton, on the road, for the time the Orioles had a lead. If he was pushing into further extras, he would likely have to burn through Britton in no more than two innings. He wanted a starter - the hot hand of Jimenez, to stay in there and likely spell the bullpen for three more innings if needed.

If it had worked he would be lauded as a guy that pulls the right levers, it failed. So he is the goat.

Why can't he just explain his thinking at the time. I don't get it. Everyone already assumes his thinking was wrong. What is wrong with giving an explanation? Maybe some people will actually agree.

His comment that "This game will humble you to your knees" was all I needed to hear - eloquent and true.

His comment that "This game will humble you to your knees" was all I needed to hear - eloquent and true.

I don't think a "I made a mistake" or a "I was wrong" would have been out of place.

That being said tomorrow is more important than yesterday.

Maybe Buck has been watching the WS and taking notes.

4200732[/url]]I don't think a "I made a mistake" or a "I was wrong" would have been out of place.

Yeah. Maybe he's kicking himself. The idea that he's a genius if it had worked out is too convenient. If it had, I still would have considered it ill conceived. He would have just been lucky.

Buck is who he is at this point, love how he changed the clubhouse, but his in game decisions are overrated. Especially, by the people here.

PS Didn't change anything in your text and it still happened.

I don't think a "I made a mistake" or a "I was wrong" would have been out of place.

Tomorrow is more important due to the inability to change history and the ability to improve tomorrow. But history is important in and of itself. Now, let's all listen to Barbaba S from Aberdeen sing Memories.

No, let's not?

Tomorrow is more important due to the inability to change history and the ability to improve tomorrow. But history is important in and of itself. Now, let's all listen to Barbaba S from Aberdeen sing Memories.

No, let's not?

I thought my meaning was clear given the context of the conversation.

The explanation was simple - he wanted to save Britton, on the road, for the time the Orioles had a lead. If he was pushing into further extras, he would likely have to burn through Britton in no more than two innings. He wanted a starter - the hot hand of Jimenez, to stay in there and likely spell the bullpen for three more innings if needed.

If it had worked he would be lauded as a guy that pulls the right levers, it failed. So he is the goat.

I think this is the explanation, but I would put more emphasis on Buck convincing himself that lights out Ubaldo was going to go out there. The fact that Cy Jimenez would allow him to save Britton was just icing.

I once convinced myself that buying stock in a Venezuelan grocery store chain was a great idea. How wrong Buck and I were.

Yeah. Maybe he's kicking himself. The idea that he's a genius if it had worked out is too convenient. If it had, I still would have considered it ill conceived. He would have just been lucky.

Buck is who he is at this point, love how he changed the clubhouse, but his in game decisions are overrated. Especially, by the people here.

PS Didn't change anything in your text and it still happened.

I think he's masterful at managing the bullpen over the course of a season. However, I have issues with some things he does, like refusing to give his position players a few days off through the season.

This whole thing has be rehashed over the OH many times so I'll say this:

It's a pretty questionable decision to go to Duensing and then Ubaldo instead of Britton. But once it's 1st and 3rd 1 out and it's obvious he's being hammered and EE is up, it's absolutely indefensible not to put in Britton there (given his 80% GB rate). So if he was saving Britton on the road for the save, at that point it was obvious to every fan that unless Ubaldo gets quite lucky (line out at an infielder for ex.) then Britton will never enter the game because Ubaldo will have already lost it. Hence Buck who actually had done a good job in managing the game to that point (with a few exceptions, PH Reimold for Kim for ex.), made a decision that belies any kind of reason.

I think he's masterful at managing the bullpen over the course of a season. However, I have issues with some things he does, like refusing to give his position players a few days off through the season.

problem is managing exactly the same way in the postseason doesn't work too well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived