Pitching coach candidates

wildcard

Of the experienced major league pitching coaches I am only hearing Roger McDowell's name mentioned. He was fired because the Braves are going to a young pitching staff the they were afraid his "tough love" approach would not work for next years staff. At least that is one report I read.

What do you guys think of Steve McCatty, former Nats pitching coach?

You have to have a measuring stick. Do you get a guy that has to "manage" a veteran staff? How much does a Nats pitching coach have to do with Scherzer? The Dodgers? The Mets? Are you not better off promoting an organizational guy who has worked with the majority of the staff before?

Unless you have projected data that actually shows a pitcher's progress over two or three seasons, with a drop in ERA, an increased win % and a better WHIP then its nigh on impossible.

I'd rather invest in a catching coach who teaches catchers how to frame properly, and make borderline pitches strikes. A good pitcher becomes better when his battery mate is giving him a few extra strikes an inning.

Of the experienced major league pitching coaches I am only hearing Roger McDowell's name mentioned. He was fired because the Braves are going to a young pitching staff the they were afraid his "tough love" approach would not work for next years staff. At least that is one report I read.

What do you guys think of Steve McCatty, former Nats pitching coach?

I think McCatty is pretty good. Before he was the Nats' PC, he was in our org at either AAA or AA and was well regarded IIRC.

Just a data point: Tiger Woods, even before the injuries, always has had a swing coach. And he paid for that out of his own pocket so I assume he felt that is something that was important. So to say a superstar doesn't need a coach might not be the right assumption to make.

I think the questions that have to be answered to hire a pitching coach is:

1) I assume we have an overall organizational pitching strategy. Don't know if Peterson is in charge of that or who is, but I would think we would and hope it exists. I know back 10+ years ago it seemed we didn't and players got coached differently at each level. I hope and pray that is fixed. So, assuming we DO have an overall organizaitonal pitching strategy, we need to find a PC (and BC) who believes in that and will be a part of that.

2) And beyond that, Buck is obviously going to have significant input in the hire because the PC & BC will report to him. So it has to be someone he wants.

I don't know who fits those criteria but they are clearly going to be the driving forces behind a hire.

I think the questions that have to be answered to hire a pitching coach is:

1) I assume we have an overall organizational pitching strategy. Don't know if Peterson is in charge of that or who is, but I would think we would and hope it exists. I know back 10+ years ago it seemed we didn't and players got coached differently at each level. I hope and pray that is fixed. So, assuming we DO have an overall organizaitonal pitching strategy, we need to find a PC (and BC) who believes in that and will be a part of that.

2) And beyond that, Buck is obviously going to have significant input in the hire because the PC & BC will report to him. So it has to be someone he wants.

I don't know who fits those criteria but they are clearly going to be the driving forces behind a hire.

I think we have enough in place where hiring a PC would just be a MLB level job. We have a vet staff so they should be able to have some tough love from Roger Mcdowell. Especially Mike Wright.

Archived