They All Break

weams

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fulmer, going to doctor after doctor to hear what he wants to hear.  

Dunno, I'd trust Dr. Andrews but whatever.

I don't see anything wrong with seeking a second opinion or a third opinion. It's his body. 

A buddy of mine was scheduled for back surgery in 2000. It was a third opinion that convinced him to cancel surgery. Instead, he immobilized for 48 hours and start doing yoga. To this day he has not needed surgery. And he still has a single digit golf handicap. 

No human -- whether Dr. Andrews or anyone else -- is omnipotent. Fulmer could still follow Andrews' advice but he might feel that his decision was better informed with three opinions. I doubt that if I were in Fulmer's shoes that I would dive headlong at the first suggestion of surgery. Even if it came from the renowned doctor.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

I don't see anything wrong with seeking a second opinion or a third opinion. It's his body. 

A buddy of mine was scheduled for back surgery in 2000. It was a third opinion that convinced him to cancel surgery. Instead, he immobilized for 48 hours and start doing yoga. To this day he has not needed surgery. And he still has a single digit golf handicap. 

No human -- whether Dr. Andrews or anyone else -- is omnipotent. Fulmer could still follow Andrews' advice but he might feel that his decision was better informed with three opinions. I doubt that if I were in Fulmer's shoes that I would dive headlong at the first suggestion of surgery. Even if it came from the renowned doctor.

Big difference between your buddy's back and an MLB pitching arm.  I've done yoga to get rid of back pain, too.  There are a few different ways to get rid of back pain without surgery, weight loss and yoga amongst them.  

But the title of this thread is what it is for a reason...they all break.  Most of these guys are going to have to get TJ at one point or another.   

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Big difference between your buddy's back and an MLB pitching arm.  I've done yoga to get rid of back pain, too.  There are a few different ways to get rid of back pain without surgery, weight loss and yoga amongst them.  

But the title of this thread is what it is for a reason...they all break.  Most of these guys are going to have to get TJ at one point or another.   

You are right that the two are different. Point was, surgeons like to do surgery. Sort of like, if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. 

I don't think the numbers back up the claim that "most (pitchers) are going to have to get TJ." It might be that most pitchers who visit Dr. Andrews get TJ, though. 

Masahiro Tanaka recovered from his UCL tear with PRP injections. If I were injured, I would hope that I could recover with plasma rather than surgery. Maybe more pitchers nowadays think the new technology is more appealing than getting sliced open.

• Upvote 2

Bleier in the 6th.

Susac replaces Sisco.

Mountcastle replaces Davis.

Boston replaces Mancini.

FIrst pitch from Bleier is a grounder by Schoop, Rio Ruize made a nice play to retire him.   A high chopper, Bordick says Ruize was "on it like a cat".

Hard line drive off the glove of Mountcastle and down the line.   Winds up behind the tarp, ground rule double.   Bordick seems to imply Mountcastle should have made the play.

And scoring change:  the line drive that Smith hit off Schoop's glove the other inning changed from a Smith hit to a Schoop error..

Drew Jackson makes a nice play throwing on the run to get "the speed demon Buxton" at first.

51 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Hard line drive off the glove of Mountcastle and down the line.   Winds up behind the tarp, ground rule double.   Bordick seems to imply Mountcastle should have made the play.

And scoring change:  the line drive that Smith hit off Schoop's glove the other inning changed from a Smith hit to a Schoop error..

Drew Jackson makes a nice play throwing on the run to get "the speed demon Buxton" at first.

Way to hijack the thread ....  :leaving:

Jesus Luzard, A's top prospect shut down for 6-8 weeks with a shoulder injury.

A little late, but I had drafted this guy in my fantasy league the day before this news broke.  He had been lights out all spring and was a top 30 prospect.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/A-s-top-prospect-Jesus-Luzardo-shut-down-with-13705103.php