Who starts tomorrow?

sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I posted in the game thread last night, after some google research:

Sept 3, 2002 -- Aaron Myette starts in Baltimore for the Rangers.   We plunk A-Rod in the top of the first.   On his 3rd pitch of the game in the bottom of the first, Myette hits Melvin Mora with a pitch and is ejected.

Sept 4, 2002 -- Aaron Myette starts in Baltimore for the Rangers.

Just looked Myette up. Going into the first game he was 2-4 with an 8.93 ERA in 10 games (9 starts). On the 4th he pitched 3 innings and gave up 5 runs on 5 hits and 6 walks. He seems so bad that maybe he hit Mora by accident:)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is not a shame.  This is very smart.  Why risk injury to Gausman?  You know they are starting a AAA pitcher too right?  We aren't facing Chris Sale tonight.  

I didn't mean that it is a shame Buck is making that decision. More that had the umpire last night behaved rationally, we'd be starting Ubaldo today.

I have a theory about why Buck brought Ubaldo in as a long reliever. I read earlier in the Sun after another disastrous start by Ubaldo. Buck was noncommittal about whether Ubaldo would make another start or would he lose his place in the rotation.  I believe that Buck intended to give him one more chance and start him tonight. When Kevin got tossed out by that idiot umpire and after Blierer pitçhed 4 innings, Buck saw a chance. Perhaps long relief would be a role where perhaps Ubaldo could succeed. I noticed that Ubaldo was already out in the pen and then was ordered to warm up.  And he came in and pitched  3 innings of shutout ball. This wasn't a demotion as such, just a chance to see how he would.do. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ubaldo in the role of 5th starter and spot reliever. 

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wilson was not pitching well at Norfolk and hasn't looked good since early last year. He has guts.  I say he goes about 4 but gives up 5 or more before they go to Ynoa and it gets ugly.

I actually feel good about this game. Neither team's offense is really clicking right now. The Sox only scored 4 runs off of a full game of Bleier and Jimenez last night. I don't think either of those guys is a much better pitcher than Wilson right now. Of course Boston could break out at any time, but I think (hope) Wilson goes 5 or 6 giving up 3 or 4, the O's hit a couple HRs of Kendrick, and we win by something like 7-4. 

57 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

I have a theory about why Buck brought Ubaldo in as a long reliever. I read earlier in the Sun after another disastrous start by Ubaldo. Buck was noncommittal about whether Ubaldo would make another start or would he lose his place in the rotation.  I believe that Buck intended to give him one more chance and start him tonight. When Kevin got tossed out by that idiot umpire and after Blierer pitçhed 4 innings, Buck saw a chance. Perhaps long relief would be a role where perhaps Ubaldo could succeed. I noticed that Ubaldo was already out in the pen and then was ordered to warm up.  And he came in and pitched  3 innings of shutout ball. This wasn't a demotion as such, just a chance to see how he would.do. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ubaldo in the role of 5th starter and spot reliever. 

Issue with that is the Orioles like to use that spot with an optionable player. He limits that. 

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Issue with that is the Orioles like to use that spot with an optionable player. He limits that. 

Okay, so Ubaldo might become a long reliever,  especially after Wlson's start tonight. Being a long reliever is a thankless but an important job. Last year,  Vance Worley was very good at that job. And look where It got him. Is he playing baseball anywhere? Ubaldo would be a very expensive long reliever,  but if he can do it decently,  it would be a lot better than DFAing him. And he could be valuable.

21 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

Okay, so Ubaldo might become a long reliever,  especially after Wlson's start tonight. Being a long reliever is a thankless but an important job. Last year,  Vance Worley was very good at that job. And look where It got him. Is he playing baseball anywhere? Ubaldo would be a very expensive long reliever,  but if he can do it decently,  it would be a lot better than DFAing him. And he could be valuable.

Anybody want to reconsider tgheir comments about Wilson? I have no idea what to make of him. Tonight a HR, 5 singles and no walks in 6. Just one punch-out.

28 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

My point is he can't be sent down. That limits their roster flexibility. Keep in mind they are trying to keep a 5 man bench. It would be shock me to see them send him to the pen but not yet. 

18 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I actually feel good about this game. Neither team's offense is really clicking right now. The Sox only scored 4 runs off of a full game of Bleier and Jimenez last night. I don't think either of those guys is a much better pitcher than Wilson right now. Of course Boston could break out at any time, but I think (hope) Wilson goes 5 or 6 giving up 3 or 4, the O's hit a couple HRs of Kendrick, and we win by something like 7-4. 

Wow, I need to take you to Vegas.  

Archived