2017 1st round pick (21): DL Hall - LHP - Valdosta (Ga.) HS

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

Guess what all of them besides Stewart have in common? None of them were drafted in the first round. 

Exactly.  We were too busy wasting first round picks on P's that we couldn't develop.  Imagine what we could have done with more 1st round hitters.  Mountcastle was a 1st rd pick too.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly.  We were too busy wasting first round picks on P's that we couldn't develop.  Imagine what we could have done with more 1st round hitters.  Mountcastle was a 1st rd pick too.  

You miss my point. You could easily find hitters in the mid to later rounds. It's a lot harder to find a diamond in the rough with a pitcher in the later rounds. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You have to be a redshirt sophomore to be eligible.  3 years of NCAA D1 to be eligible.  I don't think many guys leave a powerhouse like FSU to go to JUCO.  

He might take overslot to sign but he's not as hard as we are thinking.  Unless he has Boras or something.  

I believe the rules state anyone that turns 21 within 45 days of the draft are eligible, it's not necessarily tied to number of years in school. Either way, Hall wouldn't be eligible as a sophomore with his September birthday.

Hall’s performance at the 2016 East Coast Pro Showcase was the stuff of legend. With the eyes of baseball’s entire amateur scouting community upon him, Hall struck out seven batters–including Jeter Downs, Tim Elko and Brady McConnell–in three electric innings. Hall has arguably the highest ceiling of any pitcher in this year’s class. His fastball velocity sometimes settles in in the low 90s but mostly works at 92-95 and touches 96. His fastball command can come and go, but he is a good athlete, and scouts expect him to develop better command as he matures physically. His curveball shows exceptionally late break with 1-to-7 shape; some scouts grade it as a future 60 while optimists have rated it as high as a 70. He can show an above-average changeup when he is throwing strikes, with the pitch showing late tumbling action in the low 80s. Hall is committed to Florida State. His inconsistency hurt his draft stock a bit during the spring, but his upside remains unquestioned and he’s unlikely to slide too far in the first round. Hall is a bit older for the class, and will turn 19 in September.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mlb-2017-draft-tracker-a/#Okb76YPLxXG9M6C7.99

• Upvote 1

• weams changed the title to 2017 1st round pick (21): DL Hall - LHP - Valdosta (Ga.) HS
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let me be crystal clear.  What I'm saying is that we're terrible at developing SP's.  If you want to point out a top 5 pick (Bundy) and a guy that spent 2 years with SEA's org(Tillman) is the best that we can name this century then that's sad.  Well add Bedard.  That's three pitchers this millennium.  

Josh Hader was drafted by the Os and spent time in the organization and entered the year as a top 50 prospect and was just called up.  Steven Brault has already been in the majors, just missed the Pirates rotation out of ST and will be in the majors again.

I personally do not see the logic of indicting the current draft management team and the development team because of poor decisions of the Syd Thrift regime.  That's just me.

We just picked up a consensus top 15 talent at 21.  It also seems pretty clear that we drafted BPA and not a low ceiling quick riser.  Seems like a pretty good pick. 

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Josh Hader was drafted by the Os and spent time in the organization and entered the year as a top 50 prospect and was just called up.  Steven Brault has already been in the majors, just missed the Pirates rotation out of ST and will be in the majors again.

I personally do not see the logic of indicting the current draft management team and the development team because of poor decisions of the Syd Thrift regime.  That's just me.

We just picked up a consensus top 15 talent at 21.  It also seems pretty clear that we drafted BPA and not a low ceiling quick riser.  Seems like a pretty good pick. 

I didn't say it wasn't a good pick. I just said that we're terrible at developing SP's. We've been good at drafting bats so why not just stick with that. Hope this kid is great. 

4 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Miranda and EdRod are nice pieces. They were developed far better than wade Miley was.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Hall’s performance at the 2016 East Coast Pro Showcase was the stuff of legend. With the eyes of baseball’s entire amateur scouting community upon him, Hall struck out seven batters–including Jeter Downs, Tim Elko and Brady McConnell–in three electric innings. Hall has arguably the highest ceiling of any pitcher in this year’s class. His fastball velocity sometimes settles in in the low 90s but mostly works at 92-95 and touches 96. His fastball command can come and go, but he is a good athlete, and scouts expect him to develop better command as he matures physically. His curveball shows exceptionally late break with 1-to-7 shape; some scouts grade it as a future 60 while optimists have rated it as high as a 70. He can show an above-average changeup when he is throwing strikes, with the pitch showing late tumbling action in the low 80s. Hall is committed to Florida State. His inconsistency hurt his draft stock a bit during the spring, but his upside remains unquestioned and he’s unlikely to slide too far in the first round. Hall is a bit older for the class, and will turn 19 in September.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mlb-2017-draft-tracker-a/#Okb76YPLxXG9M6C7.99

Dozed off, had to make sure we still had him. Oh happy day