Fahey up, Knott down (!)

Hank Scorpio

The question is, why didn't they call Fahey in the first place. There are no AB's for Knott here with Gibbons, Huff, Payton and Millar. Fahey should have been the call in the first place to take over at utility IF for Gomez.

Why does this team need another utility infielder? When Gomez is playing, Bynum is our utility infielder. When Bynum is playing, Gomez is our utility infielder. If both of them get hurt in the same game, you move Mora to short for the rest of the game. There's no reason to have another utility infielder especially when your team is already awful offensively and without its star player. I wouldn't have minded sending Knott down if House was replacing him, but this move is just pointless.

Earlier in the season, we basically had a designated pinch runner on the bench. Now, we have a designated fielder on the bench. :rolleyes:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's Trembley's quote.

"Everyone knows what kind of player Fahey is. He fits into our style of play."

-Dave Trembley

I said this in another post. Perhaps they are going to a small ball, pitching and defense approach. Maybe they've given up on trying to get a power hitter out of the system

Fahey's OPS+ was 61 last year. That's a relative improvement when compared with the 53 posted this year by Patterson, but c'mon. Also, if the rationale is to give Gibbons more PT in order to improve his 58 OPS+ for trade purposes they are seriously deluded. Note to any lollipoppers, we're not wheeling out the torches and pitchforks here, but we are trying to come up with a logical explanation for this move.

Who is the other SS on the roster? Isn't this just a move to spell Gomez at SS a couple times a week with Tejada injured?

It's a shame we can't find space for Knott on the roster, but it's not the end of the world to me.

Who is the other SS on the roster? Isn't this just a move to spell Gomez at SS a couple times a week with Tejada injured?

It's a shame we can't find space for Knott on the roster, but it's not the end of the world to me.

Bynum....If you want Fahey up, drop Bynum. Again, very redundant players.

I think it's funny, frankly.

It IS funny. It's just funny. You have to giggle.

The only logical explanation is that they're trying to unload Gibbons. In that case, they'd better make sure they don't post his stats each time he comes up to bat.

The other SS on the roster could be Mora and stick Huff at third once in awhile. No excuse to put Fahey's toothpick in the lineup. We're already giving away enough outs.

Bynum....If you want Fahey up, drop Bynum. Again, very redundant players.

Now I remember ....

It sure sounds as if they like Bynum in his pinch-run, play once every two weeks role and not much more.

I'm not going to defend the move other than to say that if a SS goes down, it seems to make sense to bring a middle infielder up.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=954468&postcount=14

Man ... I take the kids out for a couple hours to go food shopping and this is what I come back to. This team never ceases to amaze me.

They need to "build up a market" for Gibbons and/or Patterson(:rolleyes:) and they're paying Payton too much to sit so obviously, you can't play Knott. Fahey is ssoooo much more useful. Why carry a useful bat on the bench when you can have 3 utility infielders?

What a freakin' joke.

Fahey is simply taking Gomez's place as utility IF'er. I guess they felt, if Tejada could get back relatively quickly, they could get by with Bynum in that role and maybe Knott could help with some right handed power off the bench. Since they now know Tejada will be out longer, they need to fill Gomez's spot on the bench. Now maybe you don't like that setup but it's no different than what they've been doing all year. And there's still no AB's for Knott anyway. They have too many guys at 1B/DH/LF already. If somebody goes down and they really do need him, better to have him coming up here with regular AB's under his belt than to be forced into action after riding the pine up here.

I guess they thought they could sneak this through right after the O's beat the Yankees last night, eh? :rolleyes:

Yeah, as of this point, I don't see any logical explanation for this move. If we didn't have so many redundant parts on this team, many with hefty salaries, maybe this roster management wouldn't be so mindboggling. As is though, I just don't see the point. Gomez plays SS, Bynum can be your offensively worthless/speedy utility guy. Maybe leave that last roster spot for....someone who might hit? Last I heard, you have to score runs to win, no matter how good your pitching/defense.

And yeah, if a trade of one of our middle infielders gets announced and makes this move seem more logicial - my apologies to the team. But if that was the case, couldn't you make this move after the trade? And honestly... trading Gomez/Bynum would be the priority with this team? Makes no sense.

Bleh.

Fahey is simply taking Gomez's place as utility IF'er. I guess they felt, if Tejada could get back relatively quickly, they could get by with Bynum in that role and maybe Knott could help with some right handed power off the bench. Since they now know Tejada will be out longer, they need to fill Gomez's spot on the bench. Now maybe you don't like that setup but it's no different than what they've been doing all year. And there's still no AB's for Knott anyway. They have too many guys at 1B/DH/LF already. If somebody goes down and they really do need him, better to have him coming up here with regular AB's under his belt than to be forced into action after riding the pine up here.

Yes to all of the above and with Gibbons playing LF more, you can move Gomez to 1B, Bynum to LF and Fahey to SS for late inning defense.

Yes to all of the above and with Gibbons playing LF more, you can move Gomez to 1B, Bynum to LF and Fahey to SS for late inning defense.

When we're "protecting" that 3-2 Yankee lead, right?

I get your point, but I still don't like it. Let's try to minimize the damage when we compromise games for the next few weeks in the hopes that we'll move a bad contract, or trade a guy leaving anyway... just not good.

Well, there goes the little faith I had in McPhail fixing things. The pieces change, and the crap continues. He can't hit AAA the 2nd time around, but he belongs in the big leagues? Last I checked, we already had an anemic offense...but, it sure is a good thing that we have 3 light-hitting SS now!

Oriole Magic...

Now I remember ....

It sure sounds as if they like Bynum in his pinch-run, play once every two weeks role and not much more.

I'm not going to defend the move other than to say that if a SS goes down, it seems to make sense to bring a middle infielder up.

Not when we already had an extra middle infielder and our 3rd baseman can play SS, and our 1B/LF/DH can play 3rd. And Bynum has been playing more since the injury and is at least as deserving as playing as Fahey is.

Well, there goes the little faith I had in McPhail fixing things. The pieces change, and the crap continues. He can't hit AAA the 2nd time around, but he belongs in the big leagues? Last I checked, we already had an anemic offense...but, it sure is a good thing that we have 3 light-hitting SS now!

Oriole Magic...

Any GM has probably practically punted this season

Archived