Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I don't think that tweeting the Astros' interest is the issue, but rather the implication of the Dodgers' lack of interest.  Having it out there that both teams are in on Britton in a big way would work to the Orioles' benefit, IMO.  Tweeting that only one of the two teams is really serious would probably work against them, wouldn't it?

I guess I'm as oblivious to the meaning of tweets as I was to girls being interested in me when I was single man because I didn't get that the Dodgers weren't interested based on the tweet I read.Plus Rosenthal had just tweeted the Dodger's interest.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't think that tweeting the Astros' interest is the issue, but rather the implication of the Dodgers' lack of interest.  Having it out there that both teams are in on Britton in a big way would work to the Orioles' benefit, IMO.  Tweeting that only one of the two teams is really serious would probably work against them, wouldn't it?

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Better to make one team think they are in a bidding war even if they're not

32 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Roch is a very good an entertaining writer.  Yes is employer is MASN which is owned by Peter Angelos but to say he is a schill for the Orioles is just not fair.  He reports the good and the bad.  Do you expect him to just to rip the Orioles?

He reports that the trade last night was done out of need and frustration!

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/more-from-duquette-on-hellickson-trade.html

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I guess I'm as oblivious to the meaning of tweets as I was to girls being interested in me when I was single man because I didn't get that the Dodgers weren't interested based on the tweet I read.Plus Rosenthal had just tweeted the Dodger's interest.

Sometimes it is what's between the lines that matters most.  It is better for the Orioles if it is out there that both the Astros and Dodgers have a serious level of interest in Britton, isn't it"  Roch is apparently upset that Morosi tweeted that the Astros have a more serious level of interest.  I can't read minds any better than you can, but I can add 2+2.

“We’d like to be competitive,” Duquette said this morning. “Nobody’s running away with the American League. We’ve got our bullpen back. If we can get some stability to our starting pitching, the rest of our team is intact. "

Hopefully this is more posturing! But I feel sick now!

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Why is Roch upset?

OK, I know where this is coming from now.    I just watched Wall to Wall Baseball on my DVR, where Roch was a guest.    Towards the end of the show, he read Morosi's tweet and said something like, "How is this news?    It's the same stuff that's been reported for two weeks."    I wouldn't say he was upset, more like dismissive of the tweet having any really new information.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

OK, I know where this is coming from now.    I just watched Wall to Wall Baseball on my DVR, where Roch was a guest.    Towards the end of the show, he read Morosi's tweet and said something like, "How is this news?    It's the same stuff that's been reported for two weeks."    I wouldn't say he was upset, more like dismissive of the tweet having any really new information.  

Thanks, that makes much more sense.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes,  I saw the same thing.  Agree that is what his point was.  

"With Britton, they would have a hydra that would shorten every single postseason game. Devenski is already stretching out for multiple innings, and Giles seems content as the quiet ninth-inning guy. Getting Britton would allow the Astros to let Mike Fiers pitch five or six innings in the postseason and leave with the satisfaction of a job well done. That’s a big deal. "

So the Astros have real interest and even if the Dodgers are only bidding too inflate the price its good for the O's. Have to think the Dodgers would like to prevent it from happning.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

“We’d like to be competitive,” Duquette said this morning. “Nobody’s running away with the American League. We’ve got our bullpen back. If we can get some stability to our starting pitching, the rest of our team is intact. "

Hopefully this is more posturing! But I feel sick now!

DD you need to wake up. The O's can't compete for a WC. You sir are delusional. 

21 hours ago, weams said:

The even more difficult aspect to estimate is the value contending teams get in return for dealing prospects.  The sample size is so small, and the metric so slippery to quantify: the player's contribution to more September/playoff wins.  It seems that acquisitions just as frequently do more harm in that regard  than they do good.  For instance, so far Romo and Jennings are giving max effort toward costing the Rays the wildcard. On the other hand, getting dealt seemed to rejuvenate Cishek's K potential as he struck out the side.

3 hours ago, weams said:

Being in the NL, he'll get plenty of pinch hitting opportunities.

Which he wasn't getting here.   Even when Hardy or someone like that was up against a righty in the 9th and we needed men on base.

Archived