Santander

OriolesMagic83

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No, you don't.  I think its a good policy to think ahead.   And since the future is what this team is all about I  think Elias will be planning ahead also.  It really does not matter how the O's acquires a player.   It matters how they develop and perform.

Here are some Rule 5 players from the past and even current:

Bobby Bonilla, George Bell, Johan Santana José Bautista , Shane Victorino , Josh Hamilton, R.A. Dickey, Darren O'Day, Ender Inciarte and Joakim Soria.

You do know the rule V rules have changed over the years right?

42 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

who did they bring up? I dont remember.

I wonder if this was a move to see what they had at AAA for next year?

They brought up recently acquired John Andreoli to take a look at him for an extra 12 days before Sept. 1.  And conveniently drop Rickard to 2.120 when the super 2 cutoff has been in the range of 2.122 to 2.134 for the past few years.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, EricK said:

They brought up recently acquired John Andreoli to take a look at him for an extra 12 days before Sept. 1.  And conveniently drop Rickard to 2.120 when the super 2 cutoff has been in the range of 2.122 to 2.134 for the past few years.  

You don't pay Richard arb 3, you non-tender Rickard and bring him back.

26 minutes ago, EricK said:

I truly do not believe anybody is thinking super 2 for Rickard, but thats just my own beliefs

51 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I truly do not believe anybody is thinking super 2 for Rickard, but thats just my own beliefs

Super and Rickard don't belong in the same sentence.    I like Joey, but he is a fringe player on the worst team in baseball.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Super and Rickard don't belong in the same sentence.    I like Joey, but he is a fringe player on the worst team in baseball.

I agree, which is why personally I think the ideal that they sent Joey to AAAA for super 2 status is ludicrous.

They wanted to look a new guy to see what they got and Joey got the short straw.

• Upvote 1

I think the service time issue is academic with Santander.   He doesn’t fit our roster needs right now and, despite his homer yesterday, he hasn’t hit that well at Norfolk where we’d be putting him on the 25-man right now.    But put it this way, if he was a decent CF I’d be calling him up and service time be damned!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree, which is why personally I think the ideal that they sent Joey to AAAA for super 2 status is ludicrous.

They wanted to look a new guy to see what they got and Joey got the short straw.

I could be wrong, but I believe he meant the team saved some money this year by sending him down. Personally I think Rickard would have been non-tendered had he hit arbitration.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I could be wrong, but I believe he meant the team saved some money this year by sending him down. Personally I think Rickard would have been non-tendered had he hit arbitration.

Yeah, good chance.    Not that he would have earned a lot.   Caleb Joseph was a Super 2 and got $700 k in arbitration.    (Of course, that was after his 0 RBI season.)

o

(MAY 6th)

Where can the Orioles fit Anthony Santander, unless theyre willing to option Joey Rickard and really trust Stevie Wilkerson with the center-field job ??? Wilkerson has made two career starts at the position. There are more infielders playing the outfield than actual outfielders.

Will the Orioles Be Able to Expand Their Bench?

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/05/will-orioles-be-able-to-expand-bench.html

o

• 4 weeks later...