Austin Hays

weams

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It's just a matter of whether he's ready to hit at the major league level.    There's probably 300 minor league outfielders who can defend RF better than Trumbo.   But they have to hit major league pitching.   In that regard, I was glad to see Hays get his bat going this weekend.  

Trumbo isn't hitting major league pitching. How many minor league outfielders can put up something near a .699 OPS in the majors?

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That's why he should be playing RF every game down the stretch. Then he gets a full ST. That'll be enough to see if he's ready. Hays, Sisco and Mancini should all be working with Brady this offseason.  

I'm going to say he's the OD RF next year.  

The record is duly noted.  It's pretty full with all of Can's predictions but we'll make room!  SG has a separate library for his eruditions.  :ph34r:

Just kidding, of course, since I would never go out on a limb, but Hays has such a quick bat through the zone and ('qualifier' one of ) the strongest (and most accurate) arm (s) we have seen in a long time here in Oriole land.  As TX O would say, IMO.

32 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The record is duly noted.  It's pretty full with all of Can's predictions but we'll make room!  SG has a separate library for his eruditions.  :ph34r:

Just kidding, of course, since I would never go out on a limb, but Hays has such a quick bat through the zone and ('qualifier' one of ) the strongest (and most accurate) arm (s) we have seen in a long time here in Oriole land.  As TX O would say, IMO.

Reminds me of the Schoop situation a few years back. Yeah, it might be a bit agressive, but stick Hays in the 9 hole and ride it out. No sense wasting millions on a RF. Whatever money we have needs to be invested in re signing Manny and Schoop, and on SP. 

Resource allocation. 

6 hours ago, Babypowder said:

Trumbo isn't hitting major league pitching. How many minor league outfielders can put up something near a .699 OPS in the majors?

I think Trumbo has a choice.  If he wants to be a full time player he needs to learn how to hit while DHing.   If he doesn't he will probably become a part time player DH against those pitchers that he has a history of hitting.  The other  DH at bats will go to whoever is the fifth outfielder like Santander or Stewart.

Just now, wildcard said:

I think Trumbo has a choice.  If he wants to be a full time player he needs to learn how to hit while DHing.   If he doesn't he will probably become a part time player DH against those pitchers that he has a history of hitting.  The other  DH at bat will go to whoever is the five outfield like Santander or Stewart.

As I documented the other day, I don't think Trumbo's hitting splits as a DH this year are anything other than a coincidence.    Before 2017, he was a career .776 OPS hitter overall, .762 as DH.    This year he's hit poorly as a DH, but to me that's just him having a bad year at the plate when he just happened to be playing DH.

In any event, I don't think Trumbo has much "choice" in whether he hits as a DH or he doesn't.    I'm sure he's trying the best he can.   

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I documented the other day, I don't think Trumbo's hitting splits as a DH this year are anything other than a coincidence.    Before 2017, he was a career .776 OPS hitter overall, .762 as DH.    This year he's hit poorly as a DH, but to me that's just him having a bad year at the plate when he just happened to be playing DH.

In any event, I don't think Trumbo has much "choice" in whether he hits as a DH or he doesn't.    I'm sure he's trying the best he can.   

And just to add to this, we are likely stuck with him for the next two years.   So, let's hope he returns to his normal output.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Reminds me of the Schoop situation a few years back. Yeah, it might be a bit agressive, but stick Hays in the 9 hole and ride it out. No sense wasting millions on a RF. Whatever money we have needs to be invested in re signing Manny and Schoop, and on SP. 

Resource allocation. 

I don't think they're particularly similar situations. The O's knew Schoop was a very raw talent when they handed him the job in 2014. They knew there'd be a lot of growing pains. He'd only hit .245 during his stint in Bowie, and had an OPS under .700 in Norfolk in 2013. The O's also didn't really have many other options at 2B.

Hays has mashed at every level since the O's drafted him and essentially battered down the door to get here, despite the fact that the club has no shortage of outfielders. He's a far more complete hitter than Johnny was at 21-years-old.

10 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Sounds like we have a keeper. Can't wait for Mullins and maybe stewart to come and round up the OF in the near future. 

These guys are longer shots than Hays. Mullins fell off the planet in the second half. Ended 2017 with a .783 OPS. Talent is there, for sure, but he's still got a lot to put together.

Stewart's patience and polish at the plate, I think, make him the safer bet of the two to have an MLB career.

10 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

These guys are longer shots than Hays. Mullins fell off the planet in the second half. Ended 2017 with a .783 OPS. Talent is there, for sure, but he's still got a lot to put together.

Stewart's patience and polish at the plate, I think, make him the safer bet of the two to have an MLB career.

Though Mullins finished the season ice cold, I would not say he was bad for the whole second half.     Really, it was his final 22 games (.136/.222/.227).   Before that, he'd been hitting quite well.   I don't think it changes your point that he needs more time in the minors and may have some holes in his offensive game to work on.    I just think a 3-1/2 week slump is a little less concerning than an entire half-season of poor hitting.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Though Mullins finished the season ice cold, I would not say he was bad for the whole second half.     Really, it was his final 22 games (.136/.222/.227).   Before that, he'd been hitting quite well.   I don't think it changes your point that he needs more time in the minors and may have some holes in his offensive game to work on.    I just think a 3-1/2 week slump is a little less concerning than an entire half-season of poor hitting.   

That's fair. I think a lot of folks here assume he finished like he started, though, having not looked at the stats in a bit.

I think he goes back to Bowie to start 2018, and gets a quick promotion to Norfolk if he starts to look more like he did at the beginning of the year.

Stewart seemed to take some huge strides forward. Given the glut of OFers currently on the roster, I figure he starts at Norfolk. You've got to love his approach at the plate, at least.

19 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

That's fair. I think a lot of folks here assume he finished like he started, though, having not looked at the stats in a bit.

I think he goes back to Bowie to start 2018, and gets a quick promotion to Norfolk if he starts to look more like he did at the beginning of the year.

Stewart seemed to take some huge strides forward. Given the glut of OFers currently on the roster, I figure he starts at Norfolk. You've got to love his approach at the plate, at least.

I think you're right that Stewart is sure to begin next year at Norfolk, while It's at least possible that the O's will want Mullins to spend a bit more time in Bowie, remembering that he skipped Frederick entirely and only played in 76 games this year.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

However if Santander hits in the spring he may be competition for Trumbo.  Especially against pitchers that Trumbo has a history of not hitting well.  So Trumbo does have a choice. Hit better or become a part time DH.  JMO.

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

I think the starting outfield at Norfolk next year is Steward, Mullins and Rickard with Rosa getting a lot of time as untility player.   I think the bench in the majors includes Santander and Gentry. As far as I can see Gentry outplayed Rickard this year.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

However if Santander hits in the spring he may be competition for Trumbo.  Especially against pitchers that Trumbo has a history of not hitting well.  So Trumbo does have a choice. Hit better or become a part time DH.  JMO.

I don't see how hitting better is a "choice."    If it was, everyone would choose to hit 1.000.    Will Trumbo lose at bats next year if he doesn't hit better?    Almost certainly.    But it won't be because he chose not to hit better.   

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't see how hitting better is a "choice."    If it was, everyone would choose to hit 1.000.    Will Trumbo lose at bats next year if he doesn't hit better?    Almost certainly.    But it won't be because he chose not to hit better.   

He could choose to spend more time perfecting his craft.