Austin Hays

weams

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Acuna won the award.    Not too surprising.

In related news, although he is still playing decent baseball, Nick Markakis' days as Atlanta's starting RF are numbered, given Acuna's likely promotion to the majors next year.   I expect he'll be on the trade block.   

Vlad Jr would have also been a solid choice.  Looking at the resumes Hays was a very long shot to win.

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So salary dump for salary dump possibilities. 

Markakis for O'day?

Heck no.  We have Santander and Hayes coming in next season - both RFers.  And I'd bet on O'Day having more left in the tank than Markakis - who has no power and can't run.    

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off O'Day has trade protection.

Secondly why would you want Markakis?  Just to block Hays?

Didn't realize O'day had trade protection.  Is it full?  

I hope Hays is ready on OD. The smart thing might be to give him some time in AAA and get the extra year of service. 

I could see us bringing back Smith or a vet LH OF FA on a one year deal. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So salary dump for salary dump possibilities. 

Markakis for O'day?

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Heck no.  We have Santander and Hayes coming in next season - both RFers.  And I'd bet on O'Day having more left in the tank than Markakis - who has no power and can't run.    

I love Markakis, but he doesn't make any more sense for us than he does for the Braves.   He might make sense for the Giants (.651 OPS in RF) or the Rockies (.737 despite playing half their games in Coors).

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Didn't realize O'day had trade protection.  Is it full?  

I hope Hays is ready on OD. The smart thing might be to give him some time in AAA and get the extra year of service. 

I could see us bringing back Smith or a vet LH OF FA on a one year deal. 

I think it's limited.  I know he isn't a 10/5 guy yet.

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I asked Baseball America and didn't get a reply.

Anyone think that Hays had the fastest trip to the majors of any third round pick?

I think he should be in for position players, I wouldn't be shocked if a bullpen guy taken in the third round might have had a quicker trip.

John Olerud was drafted in the 3rd round in 1989 and debuted on September 3, 1989. He was a first round talent that was drafted in the 3rd round because he had a brain aneurysm and missed part of the season. Other teams assumed he was going to return to Washington State for his senior year. I believe he never played in the minors.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I love Markakis, but he doesn't make any more sense for us than he does for the Braves.   He might make sense for the Giants (.651 OPS in RF) or the Rockies (.737 despite playing half their games in Coors).

I'm not one of those being back Markakis guys for every move. But there would be a fit here. If we could get rid of O'day that'd be two birds with one stone. 

We'll see how much it costs to sign a Smith, Granderson or Bruce on the open market. 

We all wish we had the extra year with Schoop. So it does matter. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not one of those being back Markakis guys for every move. But there would be a fit here. If we could get rid of O'day that'd be two birds with one stone. 

We'll see how much it costs to sign a Smith, Granderson or Bruce on the open market. 

We all wish we had the extra year with Schoop. So it does matter. 

I'd rather push the young guys.

31 minutes ago, jcarm said:

John Olerud was drafted in the 3rd round in 1989 and debuted on September 3, 1989. He was a first round talent that was drafted in the 3rd round because he had a brain aneurysm and missed part of the season. Other teams assumed he was going to return to Washington State for his senior year. I believe he never played in the minors.

One thing I'll say - the O's picks from Hayes through the 6th round were brilliant in 2016.    

52 minutes ago, jcarm said:

He never played into the minors until very late in his career as a rehab I believe.  But yes, he never played in the minors coming up to the show.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:24 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

It will be over when the O's play Cleveland this weekend.  They have won 14 in a row.  How do you think they will hit starters like Tillman and Miley.  Bundy is our only starter that would even make their starting rotation.

Well, to be fair, Cleveland has been knocking the crap out of some pretty decent pitching.  The best way to get em off guard a little bit may be to give em a different sort a look.  Tillman and Miley will do that...Hell, I think we got em right where we want em.  lol

• Upvote 1