The 100 Most Significant Dates in Modern Orioles History

SteveA

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the things you mentioned as having left out, one stood out to me as something that is still talked about and that, in my opinion, helped create an attitude on the team or about the team that lasted, and that is Davis's pitching.  It resonated among all the modern things on the team.

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2018 at 7:38 AM, SteveA said:

#4) April 8, 1992  The first regular season game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards was played on April 8, 1992.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:42 PM, OFFNY said:

o

April 6th.

I once won a Nick Markakis-signed baseball with an answer to a trivia question in regard to that game at Fan-Fest in 2009 ....... of which I received free tickets to in the first place (along with free season tickets) for being "Fan of the Game" on the final weekend of the season in a game against the Blue Jays the season before.

He asked who the Orioles' pitcher was who pitched a complete-game shutout for the first-ever game at OPACY. Everybody screamed, "Rick Sutcliffe." But then he said, "I wasn't finished with the question. What was the exact date of this game?" I raised my hand, and he called on me, I then said, "April 6th, 1992."

o

o

It's been one year later since SteveA placed this occurrence on this list, 10 years since I won the autographed Nick Markakis baseball at Fan-Fest in 2009, and 27 years since Rick Sutcliffe opened the Orioles' brand new stadium with a CG-Shutout against the Indians.

o

On 2/12/2018 at 9:04 AM, Number5 said:

The Dodgers' pitchers did fine.  Excellent, in fact.  It's just that the Orioles' pitchers were unbelievable.  The Dodgers never scored after the third inning of the first game.  Really an astounding performance by the Orioles pitching staff that will probably never be matched in a World Series.

As I recall, the O's scouting "analytics" said the Dodgers were vulnerable to fastballs, so our pitchers just rode with that... even after Drabowski opened eyes blowing them away in game one.

Archived