Buyers Remorse - Bedard

TiredofLosing20

I think much of the complaining Seattle fans/writers are doing is a direct result of them being 16.5 games out of first place. They thought they were one good pitcher away from winning the West, and that was a serious misjudgment of a team that overachieved last year.

If a team like the Angels or White Sox or Cardinals had acquired Bedard you wouldn't hear a peep about any issues of heart or guts.

I was going to say the same thing. Seattle has the least amount of wins in the majors. The Bedard trade is what everyone is going to go back to. Thankfully for our sakes they made that trade. But I believe that Mariners fans are going to be groaning about it like we did the Glen Davis trade, meaning probably until 2027.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love what we got for Bedard, but I'd also love to have him on our staff again. Of course, I don't want to give up half what we got for him. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Maybe he ain't a bulldog, but sometimes a greyhound is just as good. Or a Schnauzer. Wait, he's Canadian, so make that a sled dog.

...never mind, my dog analogy sucks... :ohlord:

I was going to say the same thing. Seattle has the least amount of wins in the majors. The Bedard trade is what everyone is going to go back to. Thankfully for our sakes they made that trade. But I believe that Mariners fans are going to be groaning about it like we did the Glen Davis trade, meaning probably until 2027.

I don't see it. Glen Davis was damaged goods when the Orioles got him. I don't think the Orioles sent a broken Erik Bedard to an unsuspecting Seattle team. Bavasi misunderestimated the talent he had at hand, and went out and got the "one remaining piece" to push the Mariners over the top. He just mistook a foothold for the top of the hole, that's all...

I don't see it. Glen Davis was damaged goods when the Orioles got him. I don't think the Orioles sent a broken Erik Bedard to an unsuspecting Seattle team. Bavasi misunderestimated the talent he had at hand, and went out and got the "one remaining piece" to push the Mariners over the top. He just mistook a foothold for the top of the hole, that's all...

Bedard had some durability issues surrounding him too. I think these 2 trades are very similar when it comes down to factors. The O's thought they were a player or two away from winning when they got Davis. 1989 was only a year before they made the trade. Like Seattle today, the O's were wrong. The Davis trade probably cost us a ring as Schilling would have helped in 1996 and 1997.

Time will tell how this trade affects both teams but it doesn't look good for Seattle.

One thing I never like about Bedard even when he was going good is he was a strikeout pitcher and in doing so rarely lasted past the 7th inning because of his pitch count. A manager always runs a risk of hurting a pitcher's arm like Bedard because of how he pitches. Give me a guy who gets the outs while economizing his pitchers (Andy Petite comes to mind) anyday. They are also less likely to develop arm trouble.

A strikeout pitcher can have low pitch counts if he's getting his first pitch over for strikes and continually working ahead of the batter. Do the math and you'll see that you can rack up a lot of strikeouts and be economical with the pitch count.

A strikeout pitcher can have low pitch counts if he's getting his first pitch over for strikes and continually working ahead of the batter. Do the math and you'll see that you can rack up a lot of strikeouts and be economical with the pitch count.

Yeah, sure but Bedard wasn't like that. He often went to full counts. Jim Palmer I recall was a strikeout pitcher in his prime and when he got to the 7,8, and nine hitters he seldom needed more than three pitches to either get them out or strike them out.

From a recent article in which teammates and coaches asked Bedard questions:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3422711

Now, I know the Mariners problem. Sam Perlozzo is with them! He has brought the losing tradition along with him! :laughlol: Whatever happend to that job Angelos supposedly had waiting for him in the Orioles organization?

Yeah, sure but Bedard wasn't like that. He often went to full counts. Jim Palmer I recall was a strikeout pitcher in his prime and when he got to the 7,8, and nine hitters he seldom needed more than three pitches to either get them out or strike them out.

Palmer wasn't a strikeout pitcher by today's standards. He never had 200 K's in a season despite averaging 300 innings a year in his prime. He never finished higher than 4th in strikeouts in a season although he led the league in IP 4 times. He pitched in a big ballpark with a great defensive team behind him and he took full advantage of that.

Now, I know the Mariners problem. Sam Perlozzo is with them! He has brought the losing tradition along with him! :laughlol: Whatever happend to that job Angelos supposedly had waiting for him in the Orioles organization?

The curse of Sam Perlozzo. :rofl:

Jim Palmer I recall was a strikeout pitcher in his prime and when he got to the 7,8, and nine hitters he seldom needed more than three pitches to either get them out or strike them out.

This was definitely not the case, in fact I read a biography of Nolan Ryan which quoted Palmer as criticizing Ryan for going for strikeouts instead of outs... Certainly Palmer recorded a fair number of strikeouts but I don't think he was a strikeout pitcher, he was always more of an innings eater.

Archived