June 12: Birds at Fenway

Oriolesfan1988

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just really disgusting the production the sox are getting WITHOUT Ortiz. I hate JD Drew. Another guy who has no respect for the game and has acted like he's above the game ever since he came in the league. Still bothers me how he had a great year with the Dodgers and then bolted for the Sox the 1st day he was able to. I can't wait until he comes back to earth. He and Manny killing the ball just makes it easier for the Lowell

s, Youks, and Lugos of the lineup.

Their lineup on paper right now just doesn't seem like it should be THIS GOOD! I swear I think our pitchers are just psychologically beaten by them.

Baseball people aren't even smart enough to realize that 0.1 inning doesn't really mean 1/3 of an inning. They would get all kinds of confused if they had to start charging 0.5 errors to someone...does that mean 5/3? Does 0.1 mean 1/10 of an inning? Think of the logistics!

(I smell disaster.)

I can actually explain why that's done. :o

.1 or .2 takes significantly less space than fractions especially in the tight quarters of a box score or stats list. Back in the day, some papers couldn't print fractions at all. Believe it or not, it's still a somewhat awkward process to put fractions in the newspaper.

LOL, just teasing.

You can give me crap, that's OK... you're fair and good-natured about it ;-)

Speaking of Buck, what did you think of his half error point earlier? Kinda like how football players get half tackles.

IMO, there's multiple problems with E's. One of them is the all-or-nothing accounting-mentality of them, where the Official Scorer has to pin the whole thing on one guy when it's often not that simple. So fractional-E's could help with that.

But that still leaves other problems:

• The ruling is made by a local sportswriter in the pressbox, who may or may not be a homer, or an idiot, or both.
  • E's basically involve touching the ball, so lots of obvious brain-farts are rules as hits for no good reason.
  • Their impact on the stats of everybody is goofy in multiple ways that are unfair to certain kinds of players.

So, even with fractional-E's, we'd still be left with all the other stuff that's wrong with them.

Isn't it Coco Crisp that beats his wife? Or is it both of them?

Lugo did for sure...I don't know about Coco. But, I hate him...so, I'll roll with it. From now on, I will refer to them both as wife beaters.

I can actually explain why that's done. :o

.1 or .2 takes significantly less space than fractions especially in the tight quarters of a box score or stats list. Back in the day, some papers couldn't print fractions at all. Believe it or not, it's still a somewhat awkward process to put fractions in the newspaper.

Fractions can be converted to decimals and rounded to solve this problem and please math people. Maybe they could go with 0.33 and 0.67? The 0.1, 0.2 thing really bothers me.

Fractions can be converted to decimals and rounded to solve this problem and please math people. Maybe they could go with 0.33 and 0.67? The 0.1, 0.2 thing really bothers me.

They're just counting in Base-3, which actually makes sense for outs in an inning...

Meanwhile the lead is down from 5 to 4...

EDIT: Now it's down from 5 to 3... too bad about the wimps who ran off and left ;-)

Mathematically it can be done, sure. But typographically, it's not so easy.

Archived