Any Chance We See Tillman Up Soon?

OsandBohs11

3.96 BB/9 last year, so not outstanding, but good. I guess I'm basing some of my ruling there on just hot much he hates giving up walks. If you read his quotes after games, he just rips himself a new one whenever a walk comes around to score of if he walks more than one.

I no longer have the numbers, but Spoone's BB/9 rate was drastically lower in the second half of the year. That was one of the main reasons for his growing success as the year went on. I'd be disappointed if his BB/9 approached 4.00 this season even though he's at a higher level.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For Tillman to appear with the O's, he would need to first be added to the 40 man roster. He would not otherwise need to be added to the 40 man until after the 2010 season.

1) The O's are going to need all their roster spots to protect the players they have now and the others that still must be acquired (if the team is ever to close the talent gap with the Red Sox, Yankees, and Rays).

2) Once a player is added to the 40 man roster, he can't be removed without clearing waivers. Hayden Penn was once an OMG dominate 20 year old in Bowie, too; at the end of the year he'll be out of options, just like Adam Loewen.

Feel free to cut and paste this response into the "Call Weiters up now!!1!1!" threads.

You can also say this for Arrietta. He's still only in high A (although he'll likely be in AA for the second half) and this is his first full season. Highly doubt they put him on the 40 man this season just for a September callup.

I disagree with this. I don't think getting hurt for a couple weeks is enough to make him seem like less of a prospect. He's got great control and a heavy sinker. Some of the other guys have higher upsides, but Spoone is still a great prospect. Arrieta will move the quickest, but I think Spoone could possibly be next.

I think Spoone is a great prospect, I think he has the highest upside of any of our pitchers besides the big 3 (Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta).

What I'm saying is the injury ruined his chances of a call-up this season. I think the organization would be more likely to call-up Hernandez or Bergesen because they have pitched well and been healthy all season.

I never said him getting hurt made him less of a prospect, just that the organization would be more hesitant to call him up now.

I think Spoone is a great prospect, I think he has the highest upside of any of our pitchers besides the big 3 (Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta).

What I'm saying is the injury ruined his chances of a call-up this season. I think the organization would be more likely to call-up Hernandez or Bergesen because they have pitched well and been healthy all season.

I never said him getting hurt made him less of a prospect, just that the organization would be more hesitant to call him up now.

I disagree that it ruins his chances of a call up, or that he's fallen behind Hernandez and Bergeson. Bergeson especially, b/c he started at Frederick.

As long as he's healthy the rest of the season, then the injury is a complete non-issue. If he shows he's ready for a callup, then they'd consider him.

I don't think any of those guys will get the call this year though. If Penn gets healthy I think we'll see him, but other than that I think we've seen most of the young arms taht we're gonna see this year.

Barring a large amount of injuries, I don't see Spoone comng up. He did well last year, but he's even wilder than Tillman. He needs to stay healthy and get consistent. Tillman I believe is more consistent.

I think Spoone is more polished than Tillman.

And Spoone had a much better BB/9 in Frederick last year than Tillman has ever put up.

I think Spoone is more likely to get called up than Tillman, if he stays healthy.

However, besides Penn, I think the other starter most likely to get called up this season is Hernandez.

Archived