Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects (2018)

wildbillhiccup

Mods - If there's another recent Orioles prospect thread feel free to merge this one. 

Baseball America has published its Top 100 Prospects (for 2018). Hays is 21, Sisco is 68, and Mountcastle is 71. I'm posting the top 20 below with a link to the full list. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-100-mlb-prospects-2018/#A1jJamrGhOPSCAeP.97

1. Ronald Acuna | OF | Braves ?

2. Shohei Ohtani | RHP | Angels ?

3. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. | 3B | Blue Jays ?

4. Eloy Jimenez | OF | White Sox ?

5. Victor Robles | OF | Nationals ?

6. Gleyber Torres | SS | Yankees ?

7. Nick Senzel | 3B | Reds ?

8. Bo Bichette | SS | Blue Jays ?

9. Fernando Tatis Jr | SS | Padres ?

10. Forrest Whitley | RHP | Astros ?

11. Michael Kopech | RHP | White Sox ?

12. Mitch Keller | RHP | Pirates ?

13. Walker Buehler | RHP | Dodgers ?

14. Brent Honeywell | RHP | Rays ?

15. Kyle Tucker | OF | Astros ?

16. J.P. Crawford | SS | Phillies ?

17. Alex Reyes | RHP | Cardinals ?

18. Lewis Brinson | OF | Brewers ?

19. Willy Adames | SS | Rays ?

20. Francisco Mejia | C | Indians ?

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-100-mlb-prospects-2018/#7PeHVdtYgl5hYBlI.99

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Acuna over Ohtani?

My top 10, if anyone is interested, goes like this...

Ohtani

Reyes

Guerrero Jr

Acuna

Robles

Tatis Jr

Whitley

Torres

Kopech

Jimenez 

Edit: I posted a slightly different 10 on twitter a couple weeks ago, but my thoughts have evolved a little bit.

A blurb from the chat on Hunter Harvey.

• J.P. (Springfield, IL): Thanks for chatting, guys. Did Hunter Harvey get any votes, and was his injury history the only factor which led to his omission?

J.J. Cooper: He was in consideration. When you ask if the injury history was the only factor, it depends on how broad you want to make "injury history." Even before he was shut down years ago, we had concerns (which we had heard from scouts) about his build and how durable he could be. He's thrown 144 innings in five pro seasons, so that will remain a concern. The stuff is really impressive, but the combination of a) durability questions b) no time above low Class A yet and c) the fact the stuff truly came together for him again for only a short stint at the end of the 2017 season leaves him off this Top 100. If he has a healthy, impressive season in 2018 I could see him easily cracking next year's list.

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Lot of Blue Jays on that list...and you would expect them to pick up another name off that list when they trade Donaldson.

Vlad Jr is an absolute stud, he's such a lock to hit that he'd be a top 10 prospect as a DH.

13 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Did this on my own so not sure how accurate it is. Number of top 100 for AL East teams.

Balt 3

Bost 2

NY 5

Tor 4

TB 6

Based on what the media says about the yankees farm system I thought they would have 20 players on the list.

5 is a lot, and you have to remember that Frazier and Judge graduated off that list in 2017.   Also, they’ve got a lot of depth once you get past the top 100 guys.  

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

A blurb from the chat on Hunter Harvey.

• J.P. (Springfield, IL): Thanks for chatting, guys. Did Hunter Harvey get any votes, and was his injury history the only factor which led to his omission?

J.J. Cooper: He was in consideration. When you ask if the injury history was the only factor, it depends on how broad you want to make "injury history." Even before he was shut down years ago, we had concerns (which we had heard from scouts) about his build and how durable he could be. He's thrown 144 innings in five pro seasons, so that will remain a concern. The stuff is really impressive, but the combination of a) durability questions b) no time above low Class A yet and c) the fact the stuff truly came together for him again for only a short stint at the end of the 2017 season leaves him off this Top 100. If he has a healthy, impressive season in 2018 I could see him easily cracking next year's list.

I thought BP's Orioles Top 10 nailed it when they pegged his Major League ETA as "the next time he is healthy two months in a row".

Archived