Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects (2018)

wildbillhiccup

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Still.  From what I have read I am surprised by that ranking.

In no way is that meant as a slight on Acuna.

FWIW, John Sickels agreed with ranking Acuna first and said he was wrestling with whether Guerrero should go second.   https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/1/22/16919326/community-discussion-baseball-america-releases-top-100-prospects-2018

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB releases their list on Saturday so we can compare those two next week.  I was interested in where they would or if they would rank Mountcastle in the top 100.  He was great in A ball but struggled in AA and with defense issues wondered if he was going to get overlooked.  He actually was bit higher then I expected. 

3 hours ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Did this on my own so not sure how accurate it is. Number of top 100 for AL East teams.

Balt 3

Bost 2

NY 5

Tor 4

TB 6

Based on what the media says about the yankees farm system I thought they would have 20 players on the list.

Actually, you miscounted the Yankees, who have six prospects on the list.  Here’s a breakdown by team:   https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/braves-lead-way-with-8-top-100-prospects/#MY1Gm5WhmFzOsloY.97

51 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

MLB releases their list on Saturday so we can compare those two next week.  I was interested in where they would or if they would rank Mountcastle in the top 100.  He was great in A ball but struggled in AA and with defense issues wondered if he was going to get overlooked.  He actually was bit higher then I expected. 

45 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I would have thought Hays would have made top 20 in reality.  He had a great year and was still young for his age.  Lewis Brinson was ranked higher then him but is also older and put up less numbers then he did in AA last year.

I think it's important to remember that a players statistics aren't/shouldn't be the only method of evaluating future value.  

This is why Mountcastle is in the top 100 (not this play particularly), but the bat speed necessary to turn around a 99.6mph fastball on the hands without cheating.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/statcast-mountcastles-double/c-1866515583?tid=52578786

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

They’ve made no noise about trading Donaldson, have they?

They havent.  Actually the opposite.  They said expressly that they would not trade him this off season, a move largely seen as an effort to keep the fanbase engaged.  That said, they have at least listened to offers in the past and I would imagine with any sort of rebound he would be heading somewhere else this trade deadline.

51 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I would have thought Hays would have made top 20 in reality.  He had a great year and was still young for his age.  Lewis Brinson was ranked higher then him but is also older and put up less numbers then he did in AA last year.

Brinson has plus defense in CF and has a massive 30HR/25SB ceiling. While he  hasn't achieved those numbers just yet, remember that scouting report is half of the reason for a ranking.

12 minutes ago, fearthenoodle said:

Seems like Sisco will fall out of the top-100 on MLB Pipeline, since he only rated #7 among catchers and I don't think 7 catchers will make their list.

They kept all his individual tool grades the same, but lowered his overall grade from 55 to 50 which is interesting.

I didn't see anything from Sisco this season to downgrade him. I was actually lower on him than the national analysts prior to 2017 (I was about as confident in him sticking at C as I am with Mountcastle sticking at 3B, which is <50%).  He improved there (which was obviously a big focus for him in 2017) to the point I think he's likely to stick and still managed to hit better than league average as a 22 year old C in AAA. So my opinion of him improved.

1 minute ago, birdwatcher55 said:

No Harvey? No Stewart? Seems like typical BA bull****. 

Those are fair exclusions, Harvey is easily top 100 if he threw 100 innings last year, but he didn't and it's understandable to leave him off with his limited outings since returning.

Stewart, DL Hall, Mullins, Scott, along with Harvey are top 200 types IMO.  

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I think it's important to remember that a players statistics aren't/shouldn't be the only method of evaluating future value.  

This is why Mountcastle is in the top 100 (not this play particularly), but the bat speed necessary to turn around a 99.6mph fastball on the hands without cheating.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/statcast-mountcastles-double/c-1866515583?tid=52578786

Quick out of the box too!

Here is a blurb from the chat on Chance Sisco (question I asked because I was curious about BA's take on his defense).

Luke (Virginia): I've heard some people question whether Chance Sisco will stick behind the plate, what's your take?

Kyle Glaser: Sisco made a lot of strides in his receiving, blocking and game-calling this year. He’s better back there than he gets credit for. However, his throwing went backwards, and if you can’t control the run game, you’re a liability back there. So…I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he can stick, but he’s got to improve his throwing (or at least get it back to where it was)

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-top-100-mlb-prospects-chat/#GrIBe3PMd5MCOa3M.99

Archived