Buck Showalter seems agitated....

foxfield

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Yes this is common for Buck to do.  And of course it is not easy.

This concerns me and is probably the underlying reason I started this thread.  I cant get my head around moving Manny to SS if he is leaving.

Manny's gone in a year. They'll need a 3B. So were they to sign Moustakas wouldn't you move Manny to SS and Beckham to super UT? It is an option if Moustakas becomes cheap enough.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I don't know if it's wrong to say this but I'm really getting tired of Buck. Can't wait for a change.

This may go in the category of “be careful what you wish for.”    Buck’s an excellent manager.    Even good managers need to be changed out sometimes, but the chances are pretty good that the next guy won’t be as good a manager as Buck.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This may go in the category of “be careful what you wish for.”    Buck’s an excellent manager.    Even good managers sometimes need to be changed out sometimes, but the chances are pretty good that the next guy won’t be as good a manager as Buck.   

To folks who want Buck gone, think about the last good manager the Orioles had. 

Having some trouble?

Exactly.

Buck's a treasure, and you'd be a damn fool to think anything improves significantly in a post-Buck world.

Probably Davey Johnson right?  Yea that was awhile ago.

Buck is a fantastic manager.   I'd like for you to name another manager who gets the 2017 Orioles to within a game of a playoff birth in September.  There won't be many.

Give any typical manager a rotation that includes the 2017 versions of Miley, Tillman, Ubaldo, etc and their season would've been over far more quickly.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This may go in the category of “be careful what you wish for.”    Buck’s an excellent manager.    Even good managers sometimes need to be changed out sometimes, but the chances are pretty good that the next guy won’t be as good a manager as Buck.   

Same goes for Dan. No competent experienced GM would take the job working for Angelos. I could see Ron Gardenhire replacing Buck .

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It may be more of a case of not being sold on Beckham as a SS. If Beckham shifts to utility, they could sign a SS or a 3B and it wouldn't be to placate Manny.

I actually think Beckham's skills would play quite well in the outfield if he can catch the ball.

Then why did DD trade for him? Maybe Beckham isn't the best SS but I don't think he is terrible either. I just hope he doesn't get jerked around by the FO. Moving him all over the place. Let him get established. Players need to know they can trust their manager.  I don't know but I feel Buck has more power than DD. Who the hell is in charge? Seems to me DD the GM should have more power than the manager. 

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Manny's gone in a year. They'll need a 3B. So were they to sign Moustakas wouldn't you move Manny to SS and Beckham to super UT? It is an option if Moustakas becomes cheap enough.

Sure this works if you define cheap enough to mean that Moustakas signs at a number that does not require the O's to lose a draft pick.  Otherwise, I cant understand a philosophy that locks up another aging player at a high salary.  Of course, and this is not your fault, but this could be seen coming in a way that could have been accounted for differently.  It's not like they woke up in 2018 and said Holy Mother of Christmas Batman, we need a bunch of stuff here.

Yes I agree Manny is gone in a year and that means they need a 3b.  Hardy is gone and we need a SS.  Beckham may not be good enough to hold either one of those positions.  Maybe, and I am just spitballing here, but maybe a forward thinking team might have addressed these issues without creating a hole to fix a hole...

Again, not your fault, but I can find no problem for the Baltimore Orioles on 1/23/2018 that the answer or solution is Moustakas.  Of course that is my own simple opinion, Im just a retired banker and farmer.

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Then why did DD trade for him? Maybe Beckham isn't the best SS but I don't think he is terrible either. I just hope he doesn't get jerked around by the FO. Moving him all over the place. Let him get established. Players need to know they can trust their manager.  I don't know but I feel Buck has more power than DD. Who the hell is in charge? Seems to me DD the GM should have more power than the manager. 

As to who plays where? Of course he does.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I tend to agree with you on all this. But if Buck has the opposite opinion, I can live with it, so long as he’s not doing it merely to mollify Manny.    

That's my problem Frobby. I think  he is doing it to keep Manny happy.  

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Sure this works if you define cheap enough to mean that Moustakas signs at a number that does not require the O's to lose a draft pick.  Otherwise, I cant understand a philosophy that locks up another aging player at a high salary.  Of course, and this is not your fault, but this could be seen coming in a way that could have been accounted for differently.  It's not like they woke up in 2018 and said Holy Mother of Christmas Batman, we need a bunch of stuff here.

Yes I agree Manny is gone in a year and that means they need a 3b.  Hardy is gone and we need a SS.  Beckham may not be good enough to hold either one of those positions.  Maybe, and I am just spitballing here, but maybe a forward thinking team might have addressed these issues without creating a hole to fix a hole...

Again, not your fault, but I can find no problem for the Baltimore Orioles on 1/23/2018 that the answer or solution is Moustakas.  Of course that is my own simple opinion, Im just a retired banker and farmer.

I'd hardly call a guy entering his age 29 season after putting up a 118 OPS+ season aging.

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Sorry but I have to disagree that Manny has the right to tell DD and Buck where he will play. If he doesn't get to play SS is he going to pout and dog it? 

That's not what you said. You said you think Buck has more power than DD. Regards the line up and who plays where of course he does. You are jumping to conclusions and complaining about things that haven't been decided yet..  Just because Manny has expressed interest in playing SS doesn't mean he's a lock to play there. And just because Buck isn't saying what his decision is, doesn''t mean he's going with Manny's wishes. Why not wait until a decision is made before you cry about it.

Archived